Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Steve Cooper - New Manager

Just now, Guppys Love Child said:

Valid point...

But unless we see him for a few games we will never know.   And if he does stink Cooper can always swap on at 60mins for JJ.  

This is what I would very much would like to see. If JJ is struggling, then he should be subbed off for Ricardo.

I want to get behind him but the negative approach is just not going to work, can't give him to much stick yesterday as there goal should never have been overturned.

Subs where awful though so he can take some slack for that.

If he want's to survive more than 10 games he needs to start being more positive and at least try to give us an identity when going forward.

Edited by whoareyaaa

6 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

This is what I would very much would like to see. If JJ is struggling, then he should be subbed off for Ricardo.

JJ has struggled in every match this season with lots of goals coming from his side. Ricardo getting zero minutes in the league despite this surely points to a breakdown in the relationship. Cooper perhaps using Ricardo as an old school manager might do to demonstrate that he’s in charge by shithousing a senior pro. Bizarre omission by Cooper whatever the reason. 

1 minute ago, funkyrobot said:

JJ has struggled in every match this season with lots of goals coming from his side. Ricardo getting zero minutes in the league despite this surely points to a breakdown in the relationship. Cooper perhaps using Ricardo as an old school manager might do to demonstrate that he’s in charge by shithousing a senior pro. Bizarre omission by Cooper whatever the reason. 

He probably thinks Justin is more versatile but Ricardo is the more intelligent footballer and should be at least starting half of the games if not more pending his fitness.

Just now, whoareyaaa said:

He probably thinks Justin is more versatile but Ricardo is the more intelligent footballer and should be at least starting half of the games if not more pending his fitness.

He obviously thinks JJ is the better option (I disagree) but zero minutes is really poor people management of a player of Ricardo!s stature and ability.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Filbert Fireworks said:

This is becoming an absolute witch hunt now bordering on ridiculous. 

We were 2-0 up with the supposedly negative selections playing away from home. The game plan almost worked and we came away with a point. 

Thoroughly enjoyed the GOAT outpace England's best CB and Mav's goal (yes cooper reacted and played Mav from the start on merit). 

It was a good performance. 

Thats a perfectly decent result if we can keep that up and bag wins at home against the bottom 5. 

We've been in it every game and haven't lost by more than 1 goal.

Played Spurs and Villa already. 

Give Cooper a chance. If this was Enzo or some other progressive manager they wouldn't be getting this treatment. 

Seasons of having a soft weak underbelly when the pressures on and if nothing else Cooper has turned that around. 

I pretty much agree with all of this. Witch hunt definitely seems a fair term and those who have spent the international break telling us that we would get turned over at Palace now ignore any positives from yesterdays performance.

He got a lot right for me yesterday but he also got bits wrong and to drop 2 points from being 2 up is frustrating but with what I have seen so far I'm not worried. 

The biggest element for me is the fight and the grit that seems to be back in the team. We've rolled over previously and lacked desire under other managers. That wasn't the case yesterday, it was rather self inflicted and we didn't help ourselves retreating so deep with the lack of attacking options. Facundo should have been on for me with how well he holds on to possession, finds space and draws the foul. 

Having said that, regardless of whether coady should have been under that pressure or not, he's got to do better. 

Before the international break many people talked about how big the next 4 games are, follow up next week with 3 points, which I'm confident we will and I think that's a decent enough return heading into Arsenal.

• Like 2

I’m still a bit surprised about the amount of flack Cooper is getting 4 games in. 
I understand the view that he’s been too defensive minded, but yesterday was an example of things just not going our way on the day.

If the offside isn’t overturned or the penalty is missed, most be would be saying what a good 3 points that would have been away from home.

2 points from the opening 4 fixtures we’ve had is about right for where we are as a club at this moment in time.

The problem is that it creates pressure on the Everton game which is now a must win. 

• Like 3

He clearly has decided he wants to play with the left back pushing on and the right back acting more defensive. It would be pretty easy to flip this and bring Ricardo in at right back and have the left back tucking in, he could then use JJ or VK in that role. It is utterly criminal that Ricardo is not being given game time. It is stubbornness beyond belief, if we had 6 points or me than fair enough but we don’t, we are on 2 and it isn’t working. 

26 minutes ago, guest123 said:

clearly didn't watch the fulham game, or the first half of the spurs game or the 2nd half of the palace game

We lost by 1 goal against Fulham, we drew with Spurs and drew with Palace, so we were competitive in energy game. Did you not watch them?

30 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Total agreement from me on that bud.

But I think we will see 50C temps at Xmas before that happens under Cooper

The real acid test is what happens when JJ is suspended or injured, who does bring on to start instead?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

I pretty much agree with all of this. Witch hunt definitely seems a fair term and those who have spent the international break telling us that we would get turned over at Palace now ignore any positives from yesterdays performance.

He got a lot right for me yesterday but he also got bits wrong and to drop 2 points from being 2 up is frustrating but with what I have seen so far I'm not worried. 

The biggest element for me is the fight and the grit that seems to be back in the team. We've rolled over previously and lacked desire under other managers. That wasn't the case yesterday, it was rather self inflicted and we didn't help ourselves retreating so deep with the lack of attacking options. Facundo should have been on for me with how well he holds on to possession, finds space and draws the foul. 

Having said that, regardless of whether coady should have been under that pressure or not, he's got to do better. 

Before the international break many people talked about how big the next 4 games are, follow up next week with 3 points, which I'm confident we will and I think that's a decent enough return heading into Arsenal.

Sorry pal but how is being 2-0 up to draw 2-2 and literally giving up any attacking intent for the final 20 minutes or so not rolling over. 

just because he is a new manager to the club doesn’t and shouldn’t give him a free hit, Rodgers was absolutely hammered first game of the season against Brentford when at 2-0 up he took off KDH and surrendered control and we drew. Cooper did similar yesterday made negative subs and we were fortunate it didn’t cost us more than the 2 points we lost. 

A manager is paid large sums of money to take the credit or criticism for results and performances, which are the consequence of their decisions and actions. Too many times already and in every game so far he has either through negative team selections, tactics or substitutions and in game management handed the initiative to the opposition, which has ultimately cost points.

Some may be happy to allow him a honeymoon period where he is almost given a free hit but I am not. Leaving out Ricardo is ridiculous in my opinion but could be a decision that is justifiable as he is new to the club and basing selection on what he is seeing, however piss poor negative tactics, team selections and substitutions are directly in his gift, this isn’t down to being new to a club, this is the impact of a manager who is out of his depth and his record in the premier league somewhat backs that up.

I didn’t want him in the 1st place not because of his Forest connections, but because at this level I don’t think he is a very good manager, he is a younger Steve Bruce, limited and probably more suited to Championship/league one level. Had we appointed Bruce there would have been absolute uproar and yet his premier league record probably stands up more than our current incumbent. It was a shocking appointment and I have seen nothing to suggest he has it in his locker to suddenly turn his principles on its head, since becoming a premier league manager his  style is to try and contain and despite a year or so out of the game nothing appears to have changed. He is delivering everything I initially feared with his appointment. I hoped he would prove me wrong, but pre-season which the last 3 games were a fecking shambles and his set up to date has just confirmed what I initially feared. 

After claiming 'we've not got it in us as a fanbase', this is unfortunately going to turn toxic and negative.

However, we should have be long past that, that should have happened years ago, if it turns toxic and negative now it's like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

18 minutes ago, Izzet is God said:

I’m still a bit surprised about the amount of flack Cooper is getting 4 games in. 
I understand the view that he’s been too defensive minded, but yesterday was an example of things just not going our way on the day.

If the offside isn’t overturned or the penalty is missed, most be would be saying what a good 3 points that would have been away from home.

2 points from the opening 4 fixtures we’ve had is about right for where we are as a club at this moment in time.

The problem is that it creates pressure on the Everton game which is now a must win. 

Completely disagree with that. It was more like we gave someone the keys to our house and then complain when they let themselves in and drank all our beer. Cooper setup to absorb pressure, rather than setup to mitigate it. In doing so he gave them all the tools they needed to attack, attack and attack. In that situation you are one mistake away from conceding, which happened to Coady who has barely any game time.  It's not a case of it not going our way - we invited all the pressure. Cooper needs to be smarter. Palace pretty much played with one defender at the end of the game.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, alanf0x said:

Why don’t we judge after 10 / 15 games. If the season finished now, objective met. Simple. 

Using this logic: We’re good enough, the job would be done (2 points from 4 games) so give him more time then we finish on 19 points and are relegated.

36 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

He's a defender it's he role, it wasn't a difficult ball to deal with.

they were always going to score somehow due to us sitting so far back and inviting them to batter us

edit - and just to add with your logic we wouldn't have been 1 nil up if their goalkeeper didn't **** up and get lost in no mans land

Edited by guest123

26 minutes ago, pazzerfox said:

We lost by 1 goal against Fulham, we drew with Spurs and drew with Palace, so we were competitive in energy game. Did you not watch them?

I've been to every game this season thanks, we've been lucky so far as it could have been worse. spurs could and should have been out of sight and 3-0 up at half time. fulham we weren't even close and they didn't get out of 2nd gear

• Like 1

and you know what summed it up for me, after they equalised palace attacked and Mads got the ball, whoever was on the left wing shot out the blocks as did a couple of other players and there was plenty of space and a great chance to counter attack. because i was watching the winger i immediately spotted cooper, telling mads to calm down and keep the ball and waste more time. clearly no intention of trying to push on again and retake the lead

• Sad 1

What worries me is that Cooper seems to have this 'hands off approach' and maybe (possibly a good thing) the players actually just played their game first half with not too much input from Steve. 

As soon as Coops had to influence the game and try to change things tactically it all turned to s**t. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Collymore said:

What worries me is that Cooper seems to have this 'hands off approach' and maybe (possibly a good thing) the players actually just played their game first half with not too much input from Steve. 

As soon as Coops had to influence the game and try to change things tactically it all turned to s**t. 

Spot on 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼