Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Steve Cooper - New Manager

4 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

It didn’t quite work for Rodgers or Puel or Maresca who conceded goals in the final minutes, it was labelled as a weak mindset and mentality, it happens under Cooper and all of a sudden people want to give him a free pass and it’s all the players fault,  utterly baffling. 

Puel and Maresca are foreign and a bit aloof, which imo was one (I stress one) of the reasons many Leicestershire folk didn't like them. Rodgers was from the UK which perhaps stopped those same folk criticising him too much, although he was still a bit flashy and cringey which was always held against him. Cooper has the shield of being British and very ordinary (that's as kind as I can be without getting quoted to oblivion by people telling me I'm a **** and also, ironically, that I need to be nice on the internet). 

1 hour ago, South Notts NFFC said:

Is it anything to do with being Forest manager? I don't recall Martin O'Neill getting similarly bad treatment for Forest connections.

Hang around here for a while and it's not just Cooper. We won the Prem and expectations went through the roof, most fans hate everything and everyone connected to the club apart from Vardy, Fatawu and Hermansen. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Foxmeister said:

Hang around here for a while and it's not just Cooper. We won the Prem and expectations went through the roof, most fans hate everything and everything connected to the club apart from Vardy, Fatawu and Hermansen. 

Harsh, Mavididi and Ricardo too lol. Maybe Winks as well…

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

True but you only need 27 points to stay up last season I think 33 would be enough, lets see how we get in the next 6.

I'm not expecting much but will give us a better idea, no way they will sack him before that anyway

Yes 27 points last season - but that was an extremely low level to survive in the PL. We could also be facing points deductions still so in my humble opinion we should get rid now - we simply do not have the time for experimenting further with Coopers "management" style.

1 hour ago, South Notts NFFC said:

Is it anything to do with being Forest manager? I don't recall Martin O'Neill getting similarly bad treatment for Forest connections.

I've posted here before the appointment that personally I didn't want a manager who worked very recently at Forest of Marinakis. I'm not just saying Forest, it's Forest and Marinakis. His record/stats were awful, this appointment doesn't make any sense for so many reasons. The quicker he gets the sack the better. 

6 minutes ago, Matt said:

It worked against Tottenham, but it seems that has to caveated by "They had numerous chances and could have beat us 3, 4 or 5".

Nope.

The didn't.

Can't have it both ways.

It also rather depends on your definition of “worked”.

If “worked” means: Surrender any hope of scoring or winning the game, abandon all threat of success and gift the opposition the impetus hoping to defend constantly and weather the self-imposed storm for long enough to draw….

Then yes it’s down to fine margins if it works or not.

It’s a crazy way to play a game though!! 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

It didn’t quite work for Rodgers or Puel or Maresca who conceded goals in the final minutes, it was labelled as a weak mindset and mentality, it happens under Cooper and all of a sudden people want to give him a free pass and it’s all the players fault,  utterly baffling. 

Are you suggesting it was not Coadys fault?

• Like 2

I don't think his previous club is a particular issue on this occasion. To be fair, he was appointed a day or so after it seemed Graham Potter was seemingly virtually in the building (and I'm not hugely sold on him but many were) so we were setting up for one manager only for another to be given the job. As I said at the time, I like his attitude, he is usually honest with the press and he'd give his all.

But his record at this level is not great. Two away wins in 29 (hasn't Nuno won 5 already?) and bis last few weeks in Nottingham were mostly defeats. Already this season selection has been odd- the preference of so-called experience (Reid and Ayew, even Ndidi further forward although he's done alright) over the younger, more unpredictable but exciting Mavididi, Fatawu and Buonanotte. Not involving Ricardo. Choudhury still getting in. I think if he went with the more exciting team and came up short then fans would give more slack.

He badly needs a win next week.

17 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

It also rather depends on your definition of “worked”.

If “worked” means: Surrender any hope of scoring or winning the game, abandon all threat of success and gift the opposition the impetus hoping to defend constantly and weather the self-imposed storm for long enough to draw….

Then yes it’s down to fine margins if it works or not.

It’s a crazy way to play a game though!! 

I mean considering we (me included) went into the game against Spurs in pretty much universal agreement expecting a hammering, I think the result of a draw can be considered positive and that it worked.

Yesterday, we'd (I, certainly) would have took a draw before the game (Many were, again, expecting a hammering but that just seems a lazy, perma-prediction and hope in order to chuck shit on here atm), given the circumstances of how it panned out I admit is disappointing, however as discussed in the Palace thread, 3 times in our last 7 games there we've surrendered a 2-0 lead, that doesn't justify what happened yesterday or even justify Coopers decisions, but its something that has happened before even playing differently and a way people lauded - which was imo an equally crazy way to play a game.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 2

Frustratingly similar to Rodgers in that he keeps our most creative, ambitious players on the bench almost as if he's scared to go for a win from the first minute in case we lose in the last, if that makes sense.

I, among many, didn't want him here but I was prepared to give it a go. My feeling now is, it was a big mistake and he must've been an "Aldi middle aisle bargain" appointment. Looks reasonable on the shelf but is actually a bit crap when you get it home.

Edited by Parafox

2 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Doubt we'd have any better realistic options so why not

Since having no reduction we would have loads of options. It’s pretty clear we have a squad that is quite capable of staying up. Literally loads of managers would go for it now. 

44 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

where's this myth he's an advocate of youth come from an'all? Complete disregard for our academy and seems irked he's not had more unnecessary PL experienced players brought in for him.

It’s a myth as he used to manage an England youth set up (where he had to play youth!).

He didn’t play the younger ones at forest much at all,  Hudson-Odei has only got a run under Nuno, he didn’t play Neco Williams either instead preferring older immobile defenders.

I think our current academy talent is better than what they had but not much chance under him. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Personally think he'll stay for a while.

Screenshot_20240915_195624_Chrome.jpg

I’m calling it now. Even if we are winless after 8 games, he is still definitely here. We will just go through the motions to not cause a stir. I think he will be in a position that we are all too familiar with. One win buys him another 5 games regardless of the results of those. Out of curiosity, does anyone know what a potential sacking would cost? Surely given our situation with points deduction we will have given it him in caveat that the pay out isn’t huge? Obviously I know this is us so extremely doubtful. 

• Like 2