Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Steve Cooper - New Manager

Well I'll back him to start with. Not as bad as most are making out. It's given me some hope for footie with a bit of interest, whether that be good or bad. The constant possession stuff isn't that fun, and I'm one of these idiot fans who actually wants to enjoy a game every know and again. Although this season may not be the best for that 😂

11 minutes ago, FoxOnWheels said:

Love to be proven wrong but this screams relegation and deffo confirms a relegation battle, under Enzo had the slight hope we’d come mid table

I see it differently. I felt we were done for with Enzo. The inverted full back stuff would have killed us and I’d have been surprised if we didn’t concede more than Sheffield United did this season!

Cooper being more pragmatic and willing to adapt gives me some hope!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, daverollo said:

Delighted to see the club has finally made a decision.  What pleases me most is that they have gone with a manager that 'wants' the job. Not some big time Charlie (Potter) who needed his arm twisting to take on the role and clearly not convinced he wants it.

His record is decent and during his spells with England, Swansea and Forest has demonstrated an ability to tweak his playing style to adapt to what he has to work with and who he is up against.

Two big things he needs to do short term 

1) Win the players over and get them to buy into and believe in the way he wants them to play - I get the impression the players really liked Enzo and his micro management, but maybe towards the end of last season, no so much

2) Win the fans over with some results and strong team performances.  Far too many naysayers in here, but if he gets the players playing with the right attitude and application on the pitch then it should get the fans on board.

We all know it will be a tough season ahead and will likely be among the favourites to get relegated.  Leicester back being an underdog is what most of us of the extended period of supporting the club are used to!

Wishing him nothing but the best!

Very good post! :appl:

The bit about winning over players can't be stressed enough. Hopefully he's started that now, calling players on their holidays and getting them excited, talking about his plans with them.

His first 20 minutes on day one of pre-season when the team gets back is huge. Some people are capable of walking into a room and immediately build a rapport with a group of people and get them buying into a vision and plan. Hopefully Cooper can do that!

• Like 1

I will back him when the time comes but I have to say that this is a rancid symbol of our decline. Completely incoherent appointment and completely tone-deaf from those running the club. You'd be going back twenty-years for the last time I was this underwhelmed by a managerial appointment. 

• Like 1

People need to quickly realise this is where we are: relegation fodder club with relegation fodder standard manager. 

The golden era ended the moment we were relegated, Rodgers and the moronic enablers at board level saw to that.

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, mbrambini said:

Oh dear ….. I can see trouble ahead, if he doesn’t get off to a good start. 
which he won’t ! ….then where do we go  !? 

Can you please DM me the next Lottery numbers. Thanks. 

Just now, Babylon said:

Good luck, we were going to need it this season no matter what. 

Yeah it's gonna be a a tall order that's for sure. I'm underwhelmed by the appointment but he should get the full season imo

58 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Club haven't even bothered to take photos.

He's wearing a Paul Smith jumper that forest fans used to get very excited about as part of his connection to the city and he's celebrating a forest win.

It's a small thing but it's evidence we're not a serious club anymore.

Thought you’d love this appointment, gives you more reason to continue slagging the club.

• Haha 1

I think I echo most fans here by saying for lots of reasons - Ex-Forest, only 12 Premiership wins, conceding 89 goals et al he isn't exactly our first choice. But there is no getting away from the fact that we are no longer the attractive proposition were once were. Being realistic, this was always going to be a rather uninspiring at best appointment. 

If he gets off to a good start (despite the many reasons why this may well not happen) and wins us over we will have to eat our words. But my fear remains, that to be fair to him, he just accepted the most impossible job in the premiership next season.

I wish him luck.

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Good luck, we were going to need it this season no matter what. 

Thats how I see it. 
Bang average squad at top level and wafer thin. Cooper has a big challenge on his hands I think 

I think people should forget about us splashing much cash on transfers now. This is a take the money, balance the books and run season. Sure we will back Cooper for what it’s worth, but he hasn’t been employed with any long term vision in mind that’s for sure. 

As much as last season was tedious at times, the outcome was excellent and what we all wanted. The coming season will be brutal and barring absolute miracles we will be relegated. That also appears to be the mindset of the owner and his incompetent minions. 

• Haha 1

Unpopular opinion but I don't think we are any worse off with Cooper than we where with Enzo. 

Enzo is a better manager and I'm sure he'll go on to have a great career but a manager who plays a style of football that requires players better than we can afford to be succesful at this level and who is entirely inflexible in changing that system even when it isn't working is of absolutely no use to us. 

Cooper although not what we all hoped for has proven he can keep a team in this league and is willing to change and adapt his ideas to do it. 

• Like 1