Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Steve Cooper - New Manager

3 hours ago, Happy Fox said:

14 points should be the target if he fails to get that then he should be sacked, but reckon he only gets at the best maybe 8 points.

If we sacked a manager for getting, say, 12 points from his first 10 games - as you suggest we should - then what sort of maniac would you expect to want to succeed him?

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

Just lost his get out jail free card

To an extent, yes. But his job is exceptionally tough for a few other reasons.

1. We're newly promoted, and that means you're automatically among the favourites for relegation.

2. We were nowhere near promotion form in the second half of last season, suggesting there were already problems afoot.

3. We've changed manager, and even though there may have been some problems with what he was doing, many players clearly enjoyed his methods.

4. We relied hugely on certain players last season that we can't rely on this time round. KDH is gone. Vardy is 37.

5. The likelihood of a points deduction, even if it's resolved now, will have done a lot to set the mood around the place, and may well have contributed to key targets choosing to go elsewhere.

In our favour we have a lot of PL experience, and the nature of our 'non-breach' enabled us to keep hold of players that other clubs couldn't have. But, even with the recent good news, this is probably the toughest set of circumstances any manager has walked into at City since the 2008-12 period when promotion was always the expectation, despite us at times falling short on the necessary ingredients.

• Like 1

The get out of jail free card has obviously been taken away today, but let’s not pretend our entire transfer window wasn’t based around the likelihood of us getting a points deduction. We got rid of multiple premier league players when we went down, and spent £50m net on our return, mostly on cheap experienced less risky signings like BDCR and Ayew, the signings we did make for decent sums all clearly have sell on as the main priority. 

This team if it plays to its maximum capacity can stay up, but the likelihood of us playing to our theoretical maximum is slim bar the odd games. Survival will still be a fantastic achievement imo. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, murphy said:

I think its the way that Cooper is using his squad that some of us have found alarming.

Can’t disagree with this so far. Cooper has a reputation of being pragmatic and trying to get the best out of his players and changing things to suit his team vs opponents. 
So far he’s made some quite baffling decisions such as dropping Mavididi and Ricky, playing Faes in a position he is visibly and vocally not comfortable with, the 3 man midfield of winks Ndidi and skipp doesn’t bother me so much but I can completely understand why people want to see us play an attacking CM from the start. 
We need 110% from every single player this season but it feels like so far we haven’t setup in a way that allows them to achieve that. 

Our team on paper isn’t bad at this level, I think we have a better team than the likes of Bournemouth and Brentford imo.

Steve Cooper isn’t a bad manager but for us he’s out of his depth. It was quite telling that his only other managerial link was Burnley.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Reckon:

Win,

Win,

Lose,

Draw,

Win,

Draw,

Win..

Mate, if we get that run, forget staying up, we are then aiming for mid table. 

Palace away in weeks time is massive. Cooper is unable to set up a side away from home. Notts Forest were literally writing games off. 

17 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Mate, if we get that run, forget staying up, we are then aiming for mid table. 

Palace away in weeks time is massive. Cooper is unable to set up a side away from home. Notts Forest were literally writing games off. 

We'll do well to get anything at Palace 

Its really going to be the Everton and Southampton games that will be the litmus tests

Just now, moore_94 said:

Personally I think if we go into the October international break with 0 wins from Palace, Everton, Arsenal, Bournemouth then he would need to go and someone else brought in quickly

Can’t have a manager with that kind of form in place for Southampton, Forest and Ipswich

A lot depends on the performances for me more than results. If he goes into Palace, Everton and Bournemouth with a passive attitude, showing no intent to try and score goals until we go a goal down or it gets to the last 30 mins then I've no real interest in him staying, regardless of if we luck-box a result or not.

Alternatively, if he is positive in those games and we play well but are just unfortunate in front of either goal then I'd be happy for him to continue.

1 hour ago, CrazyKopCorner said:

We'll do well to get anything at Palace 

Its really going to be the Everton and Southampton games that will be the litmus tests

Palace aren’t anything special in my opinion. But if Cooper sets up the team as he has been doing we will gift them the game. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Palace aren’t anything special in my opinion. But if Cooper sets up the team as he has been doing we will gift them the game. 

That's the worry of course - Cooper's away record with Forest was sh*te and how we played at Fulham does not fill me with too much hope. 

As it currently stands I just do not see him as the top level manager we need - nice bloke but not up to it - but I hope he proves me wrong 

9 hours ago, Happy Fox said:

Our team on paper isn’t bad at this level, I think we have a better team than the likes of Bournemouth and Brentford imo.

Steve Cooper isn’t a bad manager but for us he’s out of his depth. It was quite telling that his only other managerial link was Burnley.

Agree with first part but disagree re Brentford - I think they're underrated and wouldn't be surprised if they finish 15 or even 20 points ahead of us. 

On 04/09/2024 at 12:03, Taz_The_Fox said:

The delusion of what some of our fans expect this manager to achieve with the squad we've got is crazy....If we go on a great run of form its a massive bonus, but if we finished 17th Cooper has succeeded in my eyes this season.

This attitude is completely out of place…

On paper we’ve actually got a half decent squad, that with proper coaching in my opinion could finish comfortably lower-mid table. Anywhere between 15th and 12th. Only cooper will prevent that because he’s frankly, out of his depth at this level. 

• Like 4