Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Steve Cooper - New Manager

2 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

At Notts Forest he had shit players and relied on basically togetherness and hard work solely to get them through. In my opinion our dressing room maybe thinks they're a bit above relying purely on that and want to play with a bit more quality. 

Ultimately comes back to it being a really shit appointment. 

probably a bit naïve, but can't good players just play well regardless of the managers instructions and start winning games? surely the manager wouldn't complain too much if they were brushing teams aside.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

At Notts Forest he had shit players and relied on basically togetherness and hard work solely to get them through.

He’s tried to replicate that here chasing Reid and Ayew and getting them in the team immediately

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

But the players want leadership, cooper seemingly lacks. I think it’s clear Cooper was a compromise…. And I think the first sign of pressure he is gone. No smoke without fire………

Yes, but in the same article, there was this about Enzo: "The Italian was not universally popular either despite leading Leicester into the Premier League last season — some players feeling he was too bossy and demanding."

When you have a squad of 25, you will struggle to find a balance between what people want from a leader, so you will always have someone unhappy. 

• Like 4

I don't think the actual story is that big of a story. Likes of Pearson would ask the same questions of his players etc with the leadership group system. Enzo was the opposite which as Albrighton said a few days previous wasn't really liked. 

What's bigger is that someone wants to leak it or there's a noise to try and destabilise Cooper from outside. 

You can see why it might occur. The bloke isn't ambitious in his communication - too honest, too humble and players struggle to buy into a vision of simply 'just enough to stay up'. 

• Like 2

Our senior hierarchy don't have the balls to sack a manager this early in the season, let alone this early into his tenure. 

They'll hold out til late October/early November before even thinking about it. 

Top and Rudkin aren't ruthless enough to give him his p45, whether he deserves it or not. Top especially won't like the negative PR that will come on the back of sacking a manager so soon. 

8 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Yes, but in the same article, there was this about Enzo: "The Italian was not universally popular either despite leading Leicester into the Premier League last season — some players feeling he was too bossy and demanding."

When you have a squad of 25, you will struggle to find a balance between what people want from a leader, so you will always have someone unhappy. 

But Enzo won games.

When he lost he sounded like he knew how to sort it in the next match.

Cooper does neither of things.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

At Notts Forest he had shit players and relied on basically togetherness and hard work solely to get them through. In my opinion our dressing room maybe thinks they're a bit above relying purely on that and want to play with a bit more quality. 

Ultimately comes back to it being a really shit appointment. 

He was definitely the “of for **** sake” name on the list when we were looking for a manager. Cooper claims to be a jack of all trades in terms of playing style, but I always thought it was too big a leap away from Enzo’s fairy defined style.

Reading the article it suggests that any unrest may be coming  those players not being picked regularly and it also says that Enzo was not always popular. It doesn't sound much more than guesswork to me.

The next couple of games are going to be very important though because expectations are going to be higher.

“That is because they were used to being told exactly what to do in almost every aspect of the game by his predecessor Enzo Maresca.

Cooper prefers players to think for themselves and make their own decisions, which some Foxes have found difficult.

His habit of asking them for input on tactics — and even about potential signings — has also left a few of them nonplussed”

Almost like that’s why he wants senior pros with experience, seems like he is out of his depth 

• Like 2

I thought it was a tantrum by their oddball owner that resulted in Mark Clattenberg being appointed as a 'referee analyst' at Forest. Then with Cooper's refereeing outburst after the villa game I'm not so sure who the oddball was. Same with the bus load of transfers. This guy just seems very insecure and it's seeping through to the players and fans.

• Like 1

For me it’s a really simple equation.

Cooper’s appointment was underwhelming to the fan base, to expect that to be different to the players is madness.

Going from a “bossy”, clearly focused and from a coaching perspective elite coach to Cooper with tactics closer to Sunday League football in comparison…..it’s pretty obvious that some players will yearn for the more detailed/enhanced coaching/tactics.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Potter still free and the England job is clearly going to Carsley...

Potter won't be coming here with Rudkin and John Morris dynamic at play. 

25 minutes ago, kenny said:

But Enzo won games.

When he lost he sounded like he knew how to sort it in the next match.

Cooper does neither of things.

Internally, not many of the squad thought this was the case around Easter 

7 minutes ago, moseeds said:

I thought it was a tantrum by their oddball owner that resulted in Mark Clattenberg being appointed as a 'referee analyst' at Forest. Then with Cooper's refereeing outburst after the villa game I'm not so sure who the oddball was. Same with the bus load of transfers. This guy just seems very insecure and it's seeping through to the players and fans.

Yep, a concern of mine. 

27 minutes ago, Edingleyfox said:

Reading the article it suggests that any unrest may be coming  those players not being picked regularly and it also says that Enzo was not always popular. It doesn't sound much more than guesswork to me.

The next couple of games are going to be very important though because expectations are going to be higher.

I think there will be more to it than that.

I once had a fairly demanding boss. However, the same boss was actually very good, shared success with the team and pushed people to become better versions of themselves and earn their own rewards. He wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but all respected him. Eventually this boss left for greater things and a replacement came in. The new boss was way more easy going and didn't push people. For the first month, the staff loved the new approach as they weren't so stressed. But after 3 months, it was very clear that things were starting to go to pot, and that the easy-going nature was more like winging it and vibes rather than a decisive leadership style.

In such cases it comes down to the indiviudals, but I remember a lot of us weren't happy with the new person because it felt like everyone was going backwards. That was almost inevitably going to happen at LCFC, and I suspect it might have happened regardless of who was brought in. Maresca worked next to Pep, so he knows first hand the way that arguably the best tactical manager in history does things. His level of detail is probably unmatched other than by the other Pep disciples.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Enzo won games against Rotherham and Birmingham. Not quite the same as facing Tottenham and Villa. 

"When he lost he sounded like he knew how to sort it for the next match"...then changed nothing and did exactly the same thing as he did in every other match.

Cooper has only had a few games so we can't see what he will change or not.  If he sticks to the 3 man defensive midfield and refuses to pick Riccy P then he needs to go.  If he sets up to try and get something out of games then he deserves more of a chance.  

• Like 2

One thing seemed quite clear to me when Enzo came in. The squad yearned to be told what to do and to gain confidence they could right the wrong of the year before. We'd become rudderless (ironic pun) after Rodgers seemingly going from extreme success to extreme decline.

They got that and many welcomed it. They bought in to his methods right from the off but as I feared, after just a short period I think his ways also may have caused some concern with the stubbornness when under pressure. But overall he seldom hesitated in his methods or decisions and I detect Cooper being the opposite. I think he's been undecided on various things during the summer and couple that with the Ricardo decision I'm not surprised.

I do also wonder if we are confident we won't see any points deduction now this season that mindset changes again at this early stage on other avenues.

• Like 4