Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Steve Cooper - New Manager

Let’s face it they wanted Potter but he was put off by the possible point deduction, plus he probably had his eye on the England job.

It wouldn’t shock me if they pull the trigger on Cooper early if Potter now wants it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dnewty said:

Let’s face it they wanted Potter but he was put off by the possible point deduction, plus he probably had his eye on the England job.

It wouldn’t shock me if they pull the trigger on Cooper early if Potter now wants it.

It's not clear that this was the case. Some reports suggested that Potter was ready to sign but Top had a last minute change of heart. If that happened, we may have already burnt our bridges with Potter.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, ClaphamFox said:

It's not clear that this was the case. Some reports suggested that Potter was ready to sign but Top had a last minute change of heart. If that happened, we may have already burnt our bridges with Potter.

The bridge has burned, collapsed, floated downstream, been swept out to sea and sunk to the bottom of the ocean. 

38 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

look i’m not coopers fan at all but this is simply a management style. 

It’s not that he doesn’t have ideas or thoughts, it’s that he is a communicator who tries to set up players with something they are comfortable with and that they believe in. 

There are many great managers that will work with their best players to find the best solutions to team issues. They are the ones on the pitch, so they get a sense for what isn’t working for them. 

The signing part is a bit barmy, but i don’t believe it. We have a scouting network we weren’t suddenly getting players because kristiansen rates them ffs. 

Pearson consulted senior players over signings. Ulloa was one specific example that I remember. He shared some targets with them and the defensive players present - Kasper, Wes, Konchesky and Wasilewski perhaps - said he'd been the toughest target man they'd been up against. I reckon there are other examples too with other managers. It might have upset someone, but it's certainly not a beyond-the-pale thing to do, so long as they're only a small part of the process. I mean, Puel would send senior players on scouting missions, so I'd say that's an even greater level of involvement.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, inckley fox said:

Pearson consulted senior players over signings. Ulloa was one specific example that I remember. He shared some targets with them and the defensive players present - Kasper, Wes, Konchesky and Wasilewski perhaps - said he'd been the toughest target man they'd been up against. I reckon there are other examples too with other managers. It might have upset someone, but it's certainly not a beyond-the-pale thing to do, so long as they're only a small part of the process. I mean, Puel would send senior players on scouting missions, so I'd say that's an even greater level of involvement.

Who did Puel send? i’ve not heard this before but again… why? That’s what qualified scouts are for lol

I think if you get feed back like that from players then it’s fair enough to take an interest. But coopers been here 5 minutes, wouldn’t even know which players are reliable and which just chat pap 

15 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Who did Puel send? i’ve not heard this before but again… why? That’s what qualified scouts are for lol

I think if you get feed back like that from players then it’s fair enough to take an interest. But coopers been here 5 minutes, wouldn’t even know which players are reliable and which just chat pap 

Mahrez and Slimani! But he said he often did that. I think it's about creating an inclusive environment, and encouraging maturity and objectivity in the whole team. Or consensus between players, even those on the fringes, and the recruitment network. It's not hard to think of reasons for doing it.

I take your point, of course. I often get the feeling that journalists who've never kicked a ball make better TV / podcast analysts than players. But I understand why a manager might do something like that, even as a new boss. Perhaps he'll look at the players who shirk the responsibility and take the view that those players haven't got the mindset he's looking for.

Whatever the reasons, it's not unheard of for good managers to do this, and it's far too early - and we have far too little information - to say that it's been a mistake. If anything, that article adds weight to the notion that some of our players' application / sense of duty for the wider team hasn't helped our cause in the past. It brings to mind what Marc Albrighton said about negative cliques emerging in the dressing room in 2023.

1 minute ago, lcfc sheff said:

A good team is only as good as their defense and I fear bar Mads in goal and Ricky who he doesn’t want to play; we don’t have a good defense.

I don’t think we’ve defended particularly badly, it’s going forward that’s the issue. He needs to play our best attacking players, if he doesn’t start with Mav tomorrow that will be annoying. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

No one, that didn't happen. It was a joke. 

Edited by pmcla26

Couldn't really give a shit about supposed unrest unless it's obviously affecting results. And it's way too early to tell.  If we go on a good run of results who gives a shit if there are unhappy players? Equally if everyone is happy and buzzing but we can't pick up a point then again, who gives a shit about how the players feel about Cooper?

There's been successful managers where they haven't been liked by their players as well as nice guys that everyone likes but don't achieve results.

I'm not really convinced a manager consulting his players about the tactics is a bad thing.  But it's all contextual, if he does that and we're crap, it looks bad. If he does it and we win games, it looks good.  But given the way we played last season and the way we're setting up this year it's difficult to see how he'd be taking on board the opinions of players on the tactical front given it's pretty far removed from last seasons displays.  But maybe the ones he consults don't want to play the Enzo way.

Said it in the relevant thread, he's got 4 games for me.  I don't think that's time for unrest to derail anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dnewty said:

I bloody hope so. 

Appreciate people say it's early but Cooper apart from being a good bloke has done absolutely nothing to impress so far.

I appreciate I may have a biased view as I attended the majority of pre season games as well and we were absolutely honking 

53 minutes ago, CrazyKopCorner said:

I bloody hope so. 

Appreciate people say it's early but Cooper apart from being a good bloke has done absolutely nothing to impress so far.

I appreciate I may have a biased view as I attended the majority of pre season games as well and we were absolutely honking 

Maybe it’s because of my ridiculously low expectations at the start of the season but I actually think we’ve been fine. These next few games will ultimately be the test 

1 hour ago, Pliskin said:

Defence isn’t that bad. It’s done fairly well so far with one or two errors. 

All of our defenders apart from Thomas have been apart of their countries national team set-up at senior level. It’s decent for a side in our position. 

5 hours ago, dnewty said:

Doesn’t change the fact that we still have a tight financial restriction in place to meet a reduced PSR value.

Do you really think after buying players cooper wanted he will be sacked so quickly? Not to mention the 3 year contract for him and the additional costs of all the staff that were appointed. Then you factor in Potter and all his staff, it’s just not going to happen so early.

Edited by HankMarvin
  • Like 1

A lot of people on here I think make staying up harder than it is, we obviously haven’t got a European places challenging squad but the right manager who could make us effective has plenty to work with, you look at our strengths and weaknesses we have flair and pace on the wings we have a very good ball player in winks but defensively average for me we should try stay up the way Palace use to when they had Zaha and Bolasie on the wings and just go for it every game and they’d get enough wins to stay up

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

. Please give him some time and show a bit of patience. 

bugs-bunny-no.thumb.jpg.dae0fdb0192f79390d631588ed33c92d.jpg

he's shit, there's seriously concerning patterns in the set up and play that mirror what he did at forest indicating that these are his ride or die tactics. best time to correct a mistake is when it's first noticed 

• Like 1