Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Steve Cooper - New Manager

12 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Stitched up by PSR Premier League rubbish. Our manager (and player) options were limited with a points deduction hanging over us. Cooper was about as good as we could've got. Sack him now and the compo will push into dangerous territory again.

How would it? The cost of going down is far worse.

Get him gone now, I am of the view he’s the worst manager tactically at this level. Dyche will beat him next week. Just get him gone now, because the players we have we definitely will stay up quite comfortably, with a more attacking manager.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

I supported his appointment, he wasn’t an exciting choice but I did think he’d set us up to be defensively solid and strong on the counter using the pace we have. I have no issues with him and want him to do well.

Even the results themselves are not that bad. Yes we’d all like more than 2 points from the first 4 but we have played 2 very strong sides at home. In theory, it gives us something to build on.

However, I am fast running out of patience now not due to the results but because his line ups and in game management is up there with the most negative I have seen.

I can forgive losing if we are not good enough. I don’t think this team is a top 10 team like some have said but I’ve seen enough to think there are 3 worse if we actually try to win games. Ultimately you allow pressure you will conceded. Basic stuff. We yet again find ourselves as we did with Rodgers, where we need to score twice to get anything from a game!

No point calling for him out though. Guaranteed no matter what happens, our board will not do anything whilst we are still on 2024…..

This is the Premier League though, you can put all but a couple of side in this category. I can't see where more than about 5 wins are coming from, especially if we continually play to just not lose.

We have a solid enough squad, but like you say, his management of line ups and in-game has cost us 2 points at the very least. Even the Fulham and Villa results felt like opportunities missed through setting up not to lose.

Only positive is that we’ve scored in every game and not been beaten by a big margin, yet.……..

Seeing out games with all out defending from the 76th minute is not the one though. Disgusting substitutions yesterday that cost us. Hamza and Coady made us weaker.

Slowly becoming Rodger’s mk2 with his stubbornness.

I really believed after Villa he would learn but it seems like he’s stuck in his ways. Will judge after the Everton game but I’m slowly loosing support.

• Like 1

Where do people see us finishing with Cooper versus a Moyes or Potter? I really don't think what we've done so far warrants the Cooper out toxicity I'm reading.

People saying there are three worse sides. Who, when Southampton looked decent early on against Man U. and but for a missed penalty it could have been different,  and everyone saying Everton will beat us? Where's your worst three?

I'm encouraged by Skipp, Mavadidi at this level, Ayew, Ndidi yesterday. Okoli looked better. Kristiensen did okay as well, and Im not his biggest fan. It felt like there was a bit of depth in the squad yesterday. There were still outlets yesterday at the end; Vardy and Fatawu. It didn't have to be defensive. That could have been the players not the manager. I think the one substitution he got wrong yesterday was Choudhury for Ndidi. No problem with the others. Fans are fickle. We hold off for 2-1 and more than half of what's been said wouldn't have been, and you can't blame Cooper for a mis-timed tackle.

Let's have some realism though. If you want him gone fair enough, but realise this, whoever you bring in is not suddenly going to go all Man. City on you. They'll always defend leads late on, and they'll finish close to the bottom three.

Edit: To add to this having watched MOTD, I think we were on the wrong side of a VAR decision as well. Again, not Cooper's fault.

Edited by Twitcher
  • Like 4

I feel we have the players to be doing better.

Still not sure what his tactics are?

We are scoring goals, but that appears to be in spite of the approach to the game, rather than because we look dangerous

The choice/timing of substitutions in poor

Defensively at this level we are weak, late subs making us defend more doesn't work

Hamza/Coady were never going to be positive subs?

Why has Ricci not played a minute

Why has Vestegaard being dropped despite good performances

Why has FB being dropped, despite being probably our best player in the opening 2 matches

I don't want to turn against a manager after 4 matches, but he is raising more questions than answers at the moment

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, beepee1984 said:

We are scoring goals, but that appears to be in spite of the approach to the game, rather than because we look dangerous

Defensively at this level we are weak, late subs making us defend more doesn't work

Why has FB being dropped, despite being probably our best player in the opening 2 matches

I don't want to turn against a manager after 4 matches, but he is raising more questions than answers at the moment

I agree with all that, it makes no sense. I just don't think he's up to the job. Don't rate him at all frankly. If we don't do better against Everton and win, I want him out pronto. Now the threat of points reduction has gone for this season, Im sure we could attract higher calibre managers. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, beepee1984 said:

Absolutely spot on!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lcfc82 said:

Do you rate Cooper tactically at this level ? 

I think the players are better than Cooper so will have a bit of a fight but we are hamstrung by his tactics so if Cooper stays in charge for the whole season we are going down but finishing 18th.

Is the squad good enough can’t really say as it stands because they are being tactically restricted. 

However fundamentally from the four games, I can say we are a team what concedes goals and can score goals at this level but tactically prioritise the defence over the attacking part of the game. Cooper is looking at the squad and his take is defence first which is plain wrong. 

It’s playing out to the same errors and mistakes he made at Forest. 

You go with a cheap appointment, get cheap results 

Edited by CosbehFox
  • Like 2

After this game my concerns and opinion have been confirmed to be true. 

He’s not just out of his depth but he’s also not an intelligent manager.  The way he blames everyone else rather than his choices is telling.  I believe he doesn’t think he is doing anything wrong by the way he has handled criticism.  If that’s the case he will never learn, which so far has been proven correct. 

Sets out negative and hopes for the best, then reacts too late. Teams that’s make subs early on tend to change the flow of the game. 

He doesn’t appear to have any in game management or awareness.  The amount of times JJ kept coming in to double up with Faes, leaving space for their winger, watching Ndidi walk around at 60 mins leaving huge gaps in midfield because he was battered. 

Hopefully player power can move this along quickly. 

Now I’ve slept on it, I’m probably more Spaghetti out now. 

What I’m really struggling to understand, is why on earth you leave all your attacking players on the bench, and then continue to leave all of your attacking players on the bench when you need them. 

To set up completely defensively like that just won’t work, leaving Vardy on who’s 37 to be the outlet? Vardy is a legend but he can’t do that….

Ayew is performing better than I thought he would, but he shouldn’t be starting, he’s the type of player you bring on at the end of the game, he would have been ideal to have come on during those last 20 minutes to help relieve pressure of the defence. There was just nothing at all to do that, and that indicates poor management. 

Cooper just can’t get this team right…. Elements are okay, but the overall picture is wrong… he just can’t get it right….. and it’s not difficult to see, everyone can see what the problems are but somehow Steve can’t or is unwilling to be brave, or in fact, it’s not about being brave, it’s about being about making good in game decisions which he just can’t seem to do. 

The criticism of him now being able to be strike a good balance between defence and attack appears to be spot on, because that exactly what’s happening. 

It’s inevitable he will get sacked, but the board needs to change their approach and be proactive, Cooper isn’t working here and he won’t work here. I’d get shot now, whilst you’ve still got the likes of Moyes and Potter out of work. 

Dyche and Martin can’t be far away from getting sacked either, so we can’t just sit here and gamble on Cooper when it clearly isn’t going to work. 

9 hours ago, westernpark said:

I really like him. 

In all honesty, the most concerning thing is that in each game, we should have done better than the result we got. Whether that was turning a loss into a point, or a point into a win, Cooper hasn’t been able to make the game his.

3 minutes ago, Noahfence said:

has he gone yet? 

Beat me to it lol

So the acumen we've seen from him so far has been: 

- Ultra negative setup regardless of opponent or if we're home or away

- Go behind and leave changes too late, huff and puff a bit and lose

- Go TWO ahead and make even more negative changes, drop points

Then add into that

- stubbornness over Ricardo

- won't play last years wingers (one of the bets aspects of that team) together 

I really wanted to like him given his comments about building a relationship with the fans, but that seems to have gone out the window already and he's already firefighting. He's clearly not lasting the season so we're just wasting time AGAIN.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1