Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Steve Cooper - New Manager

12 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Hmmmm perhaps that he's technically one of our best players, who's ability to keep hold of the ball is a massive asset and is currently sidelined to a player that nearly every single goal we have conceded has come down his side and is being deployed as a less advanced up and down for 90 minutes full back.

But yeah, not sure mate

Agreed he's technically one of our best players.but he's physically weak for the

Premier league unfortunately. Players not in the team are always the best on here.

59 minutes ago, guest123 said:

they were always going to score somehow due to us sitting so far back and inviting them to batter us

edit - and just to add with your logic we wouldn't have been 1 nil up if their goalkeeper didn't **** up and get lost in no mans land

You took about logic and come up with the first paragraph, how do you know? 

3 hours ago, FLAN said:

Can anyone who is better than me with tactical observations let me know why we allowed their wide players so much space in our final third for the whole game? 

I actually believe that was purposeful, although a huge mistake that I wouldn't have done, the choice was to pack the centre and the box and believe that we can stop them getting on the end of crosses rather than leave people outside to stop the crosses coming in

• Like 1

I completely understand why people think he’s being too negative, especially as yesterday it did cost us.

But looking long term, I think people have misplaced confidence in how good the defence actually are. The fact we looked so short up front at the start of the season masked the worry over the lack of quality at the back, particularly given it’s a lot of the same personnel that got us relegated last time in the Prem. That season we scored as many as Villa who finished fifth but conceded the joint third most.

It’s now one clean sheet in our last 29 Prem games. That one, a 0-0, was the penultimate game of 22/23 against Newcastle where Rodgers benched Maddison and Barnes and went five at the back.

The previous clean sheet to that was in November 2022 when Danny Ward won man of the match (yes, really) at West Ham with an injury hit side with a back four of Thomas, Faes, Amartey and Castagne. 

We have a better keeper now and Cooper’s certainly not helping with the Ricardo situation, but I haven’t seen any evidence that makes me think this defence is good enough for the Prem. It’s early days for Okali and he looks decent, but good enough to make a transformative difference to the defence? Probably not. 

So while Cooper certainly has been too negative, it’s probably partly because he doesn’t think the quality is there too, something Rodgers maybe realised, but not until way too late, the season before. 

Yes, we had the best defensive record last season, but that was largely down to dominating the ball something you’re not going to do in the Prem (or many fans want to do anyway). The gap in quality between the Champ and Prem is so big.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steve-cooper-explains-leicester-city-9554957.amp

“Palace chucked everything at us, made a load of changes and put every attacking player on they could,” Cooper said. “They had six or seven on the back-line and we matched numbers.

“As well as Mads (Hermansen) played, he didn’t have to make save after save after save. I felt we defended in our low block well. We didn’t want to be there as much as we did, but the game ended up going like that.

“I never really felt like the goal was coming. It could, because of the territory. We were trying to get counter-attacks with Abdul (Fatawu) on the pitch. Any chances they were having were from difficult areas and they were going wide and would have been difficult opportunities to score. To give the penalty away is frustrating.

“I wouldn’t say we invited (pressure), but we accepted it. They put so many players forward that you have to try to manage the numbers. We have given a goal away in the end, but I didn’t feel like it was shot after shot after shot from dangerous positions.

“You want the balance for sure. But when they’re putting six or seven around your box, you have to try to manage both sides of the game. We had players who could counter-attack and we had players who could defend the numbers as well. Maybe it’s a silly thing to say because we concede a goal in the end.

“Conor’s in a good position, the ricochet off the duel goes against him. But it wasn’t as if we were completely carved open and they created a brilliant chance. It’s a natural thing to do to see out a lead, to drop off and be a bit deeper. It’s hard to say this because we conceded, but we actually managed it well.”

“It does feel like a defeat, there’s no doubt about that,” Cooper said. “I thought we were really good in the first half, to come away to a team like Palace and play like we did. We should have gone 1-0 up early on, we missed a good chance. We were more than good for at least 1-0.

“I enjoyed what I saw from the team, how we played, the application, the decisions we made. There was so much growth in what we’re trying to become.

“It was a perfect start to the second half, but then the complete opposite in how we managed going 2-0 up. That was a real pivotal moment in the game because from a very dour atmosphere, it turned into a very supportive one. Then you’re up against it on and off the pitch.”

Never saw the goal coming, wouldn't say we invited pressure, we managed the game well. man's a ****ing clown lol

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steve-cooper-explains-leicester-city-9554957.amp

Never saw the goal coming, wouldn't say we invited pressure, we managed the game well. man's a ****ing clown lol

His comments about counter attacking have annoyed me, load of shite:

"We were trying to get counter-attacks with Abdul (Fatawu) on the pitch."

"But when they’re putting six or seven around your box, you have to try to manage both sides of the game. We had players who could counter-attack and we had players who could defend the numbers as well"

2 hours ago, Chelmofox said:

Completely disagree with that. It was more like we gave someone the keys to our house and then complain when they let themselves in and drank all our beer. Cooper setup to absorb pressure, rather than setup to mitigate it. In doing so he gave them all the tools they needed to attack, attack and attack. In that situation you are one mistake away from conceding, which happened to Coady who has barely any game time.  It's not a case of it not going our way - we invited all the pressure. Cooper needs to be smarter. Palace pretty much played with one defender at the end of the game.

Be interesting to know your thoughts on what he should have done then?

It was expected that they would throw the kitchen sink at us in the final 15. The obvious approach is to go defensive and try to see the game out, doing the alternative leaves more space and therefore they would of been able to create possibly even more open chances.

I just don’t get how you can blame a manager for a dubious offside and a player conceding a penalty. Flack should go to coady for that imo.

• Like 1

I see fellow fans saying about Cooper releasing the handbrake etc. He can't release anything because his tactical knowledge is the same as a toddler starting to play Football Manager. Just sack him tomorrow and offer the job to Pioli or Conceicao. We're in a better position without points deduction, squad is okay-ish, I know both managers above are considered probably top shelf but they might consider a PL job. 

Edited by Fear Of The Fox
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, guest123 said:

er, well they sort of like, did score. we've seen this time and time again in games when teams sit back

Because a player made a awful error.

We won the PL by sitting in.

It not waht you do it's how well you do it.

Edited by coolhandfox

1 minute ago, Izzet is God said:

Be interesting to know your thoughts on what he should have done then?

It was expected that they would throw the kitchen sink at us in the final 15. The obvious approach is to go defensive and try to see the game out, doing the alternative leaves more space and therefore they would of been able to create possibly even more open chances.

I just don’t get how you can blame a manager for a dubious offside and a player conceding a penalty. Flack should go to coady for that imo.

We had plenty of players on the bench yesterday that could've come on instead of the likes of Coady and Choudhury and helped defend but still would have given us an outlet for a counter

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

His comments about counter attacking have annoyed me, load of shite:

"We were trying to get counter-attacks with Abdul (Fatawu) on the pitch."

"But when they’re putting six or seven around your box, you have to try to manage both sides of the game. We had players who could counter-attack and we had players who could defend the numbers as well"

the comments of a man who doesn't understand countering. like how are you planning to counter with 10 in your own box Steve?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I did a spot of light research this morning before going out to pick up the dog shit in the garden.

In 59 PL games as a manager, his side have thrown away points in the final 10 minutes 9 times.

His side have been 2+ goals ahead and not won 4 times

His side has been ahead and still lost in the final 10 minutes 6 times.

I wonder if any of these sides fielded 8 defensive players in order to try and protect a result?

Damn that’s some condemning stats 

2 hours ago, Izzet is God said:

I’m still a bit surprised about the amount of flack Cooper is getting 4 games in. 
I understand the view that he’s been too defensive minded, but yesterday was an example of things just not going our way on the day.

If the offside isn’t overturned or the penalty is missed, most be would be saying what a good 3 points that would have been away from home.

2 points from the opening 4 fixtures we’ve had is about right for where we are as a club at this moment in time.

The problem is that it creates pressure on the Everton game which is now a must win. 

Conceding 2 goals a game when 80% of your starting line up are defensive players isn’t just a case of things just not going your way buddy.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

We had plenty of players on the bench yesterday that could've come on instead of the likes of Coady and Choudhury and helped defend but still would have given us an outlet for a counter

What 2 attacking midfielders who seem fairly lightweight against a physical side (el khannouss and buonanotte), soumare (who no one wants back on the pitch for us), ward and DCR?

Only question for Cooper to answer which is the same one - why did Ricardo not play?

If you’re trying to see the game out you bring on your physical players and that’s what he did in Choudhury and Coady. Not his fault Coady had a *oh s*it* moment…

4 minutes ago, Clarkey123 said:

Conceding 2 goals a game when 80% of your starting line up are defensive players isn’t just a case of things just not going your way buddy.

I was speaking solely about yesterday.

So you expected us to not concede at all in our first 3 games then? Great optimism that is for a newly promoted side with Faes at the back….

The acid test for a manager and his value to the club is would we be in any worse position without him showing up. And the simple answer is no. Maybe better but certainly not worse off. He isn’t adding anything extraordinary at this moment. 

We need to him to get 10 draws and 8/9 wins. That win collection starts next weekend and quite simply by the time we’ve finishing playing Ipswich in a few weeks, that count has to be at 3/4. The in game management and squad selection is very worrying. 

• Like 3