Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Steve Cooper - New Manager

19 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

Look at Wolves now, 1-0 up to Newcastle and still having a right good go. There is a balance in terms of defending a lead but also having some ambition to extend that lead and put the game to bed. 

Keep your powder dry comes to mind….

• Haha 4

I’m surprised to hear his subs have been bad - he was generally good on this at Forest, at least in home games 

Biggest weaknesses were:

- away games - we usually set up like a League 1 team looking to do little more than damage limitation, with no real attacking intent.  We got some real wuppings. 

- set pieces - we were extremely poor both at taking them and at defending them

For what it’s worth I think he’ll keep you up.  You’ve seen decent Prem football more recently than we had though - so I’m not surprised you’re finding it a tough watch, and unambitious 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ForestAreMagic said:

I’m surprised to hear his subs have been bad - he was generally good on this at Forest, at least in home games 

Biggest weaknesses were:

- away games - we usually set up like a League 1 team looking to do little more than damage limitation, with no real attacking intent.  We got some real wuppings. 

- set pieces - we were extremely poor both at taking them and at defending them

For what it’s worth I think he’ll keep you up.  You’ve seen decent Prem football more recently than we had though - so I’m not surprised you’re finding it a tough watch, and unambitious 

Think plenty were bored with Maresca’s patient football and wanted a return to a fiercer/higher tempo football.

And to be fair to Cooper, the players seem to put it on the line for him, so there is hope, assuming he is braver at some point.

But suspect the change is not as seismic as some hoped, as you have pointed out; he is risk anverse away from home.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

Look at Wolves now, 1-0 up to Newcastle and still having a right good go. There is a balance in terms of defending a lead but also having some ambition to extend that lead and put the game to bed. 

And look how it turned out for them. 

the grass is always greener and hindsight is a beautiful thing, if Cooper had put on more attacking players yesterday and Palace had equalised everybody would be complaining that he didn’t try and shut up shop. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, South Notts NFFC said:

Out of interest, in the 4 games you've had in the league, what has Cooper done to cause the mass vitriol?

From the outside it seemed like some wanted him gone before a ball had been kicked or even before he'd signed!

set ups are absolutely shocking, mans already starting to make excuses blaming the refs for everything (honestly thought that was driven by your mental chairman now I'm not so sure). he's tactically out of his depth

• Like 4

4 hours ago, pazzerfox said:

Do you realize where we are as a club right now?

The issue seems to be that some fans have an unrealistic sense of entitlement, thinking we have a divine right to show up at Crystal Palace and easily beat them. We simply don’t have the squad for that! Let’s not forget, the last time we were in the Premier League, Crystal Palace beat us at their place, and they had the most shots in one half that they's had all seaon, in the first half! We also got thrashed 5-3 by Fulham that season. Expectations need to be more grounded.

There’s absolutely no entitlement being shown by fans that think we shouldn’t kowtow to Crystal Palace!! 

They are relegation candidates, if we can’t play to win against them then we stand no chance of staying up. 

This simpering acceptance of mediocrity doesn’t make you less entitled / more realistic it just means you’ve accepted relegation 4 games into the season.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gevans_97 said:

And look how it turned out for them. 

the grass is always greener and hindsight is a beautiful thing, if Cooper had put on more attacking players yesterday and Palace had equalised everybody would be complaining that he didn’t try and shut up shop. 

Fair point in regards to my post, however how many times were Rodgers, Puel and Maresca villified for trying to shut up shop in last 10 minutes to only invite pressure and hand the initiative to the opposition, Cooper does it with 20 minutes to go and some want to defend it, beggars belief it really does. 

• Like 1

Out of interest, in the 4 games you've had in the league, what has Cooper done to cause the mass vitriol?

From the outside it seemed like some wanted him gone before a ball had been kicked or even before he'd signed!

Welcome to foxestalk.  Hate for the sake of hating.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

Fair point in regards to my post, however how many times were Rodgers, Puel and Maresca villified for trying to shut up shop in last 10 minutes to only invite pressure and hand the initiative to the opposition, Cooper does it with 20 minutes to go and some want to defend it, beggars belief it really does. 

And it  nearly worked until an individual mistake, so sorry but I am not sure what point you feel like you are making. :dunno:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

And it  nearly worked until an individual mistake, so sorry but I am not sure what point you feel like you are making. :dunno:

“It nearly worked”

Nope.

It didn’t work.

There are no nearly points awarded. It didn’t work, and for most people watching it was never going to work. The inevitable happened. 

• Like 3

I don't necessarily hate him personally although he seems like a pretty charmless person with few redeeming features. I hate the fact that he is our manager. I suppose if we'd spent 23 years of futility outside the top division I'd see him as an ok appointment but we're not coming from that position of course. He personifies our decline. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

It didn’t quite work for Rodgers or Puel or Maresca who conceded goals in the final minutes, it was labelled as a weak mindset and mentality, it happens under Cooper and all of a sudden people want to give him a free pass and it’s all the players fault,  utterly baffling. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

It nearly worked but didn’t.

Here is my issue with Cooper yesterday:

The change in set up allowed Palace to live in our half and own midfield with little to no pressure and when we did get the ball we had no one who could look after it, no outlet ball and therefore no attacking threat they had to be mindful of, allowing them to pile even more players forward without worry of a counter.

Because of this they could bring on even more creative and attacking players - look who Coady fouled… Sarr who was brought on to replace their wingback and he played full on RW. 

That for me, is why I am, and many others, are so mad with Cooper’s game management. Also look at the talent we left on the bench. Two midfielders who can keep the ball, one of whom we just signed for £20m 

The guy needs to learn and fast. If we don’t get something next week, I think he’s in big trouble 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Got to judge him after 10 games that should give us a good idea of where we are at

That could actually be too late.More than a quarter of the season gone... we have left it late before with awful consequences

• Like 1

1 minute ago, whoareyaaa said:

I think 28 games is enough for a new manager to keep a team up.

Maybe - but out of the 28 games probably 10 (depending on whom we would have played by that time) would be against top-6 teams where we rarely get anything -  leaving us maybe 18-20 games to get something like 36-38 points. Thats almost 2 point per game avg. - Don´t think that is possible for us...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Got to judge him after 10 games that should give us a good idea of where we are at

I have never understood this mentality. 10 games? Oh yeah, let's wait another 2 months to find out that he's not a proper manager. If you're employed in any private company you get the boot if you're underperforming or if you don't do your job well. But nooooo, football clubs are charities now, hiring these frauds and paying them millions without ANY pedigree is the norm. 

What a joke. Also if Coady has any decency he should offer himself to a National League team or, even better for him, apply for a role in a Forrest Gump sequel. 

21 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

“It nearly worked”

Nope.

It didn’t work.

There are no nearly points awarded. It didn’t work, and for most people watching it was never going to work. The inevitable happened. 

It worked in the Tottenham game, but it seems that has to caveated by "They had numerous chances and could have beat us 3, 4 or 5".

Nope.

They didn't.

Can't have it both ways.

Edited by Matt

2 minutes ago, TheStig said:

Maybe - but out of the 28 games probably 10 (depending on whom we would have played by that time) would be against top-6 teams where we rarely get anything -  leaving us maybe 18-20 games to get something like 36-38 points. Thats almost 2 point per game avg. - Don´t think that is possible for us...

True but you only need 27 points to stay up last season I think 33 would be enough, lets see how we get in the next 6.

I'm not expecting much but will give us a better idea, no way they will sack him before that anyway