Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Steve Cooper - New Manager

2 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

In a heart beat far from perfect has his flaws but like Pearson seems to have a plan and sets high standards and expectations.

Not for me, a good manager at the top end of any league but I think we'd really struggle with his style and our squad in this league, I'd be delighted to be proved wrong though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 5waller5 said:

There’s absolutely no entitlement being shown by fans that think we shouldn’t kowtow to Crystal Palace!! 

They are relegation candidates, if we can’t play to win against them then we stand no chance of staying up. 

This simpering acceptance of mediocrity doesn’t make you less entitled / more realistic it just means you’ve accepted relegation 4 games into the season.

Palace just paid a fortune for Nketiah, have one of the most coveted wingers in the league, a centre back that Newcastle wanted to spend £40 plus million on and a young midfielder who is very highly rated.  Meanwhile, we have taken two of their squad players who weren't regulars in their first team.  A bit more perspective is needed I think. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Absolutely nothing to do with that, although I question the boards decision to make his job harder if he got off to a poor start (which we have)

He's just an appalling manager at this level. We make it one win in the last 17 PL games for Cooper, absolutely wild. Did he used to field 7 defense minded players at you lot and then bring another 1-2 on? He gobbed off all summer about not having any creative midfielders and then he's got 3 of them and has shown he only wants them to come on in games when we're losing.

He played 3 defensive midfielders at home to a League Two team in the cup 😂😂😂😂 the bloke makes Roy Cropper seems like an adrenaline junkie. 

Also, where's this myth he's an advocate of youth come from an'all? Complete disregard for our academy and seems irked he's not had more unnecessary PL experienced players brought in for him.

Cannot believe he kept you up, just shows how abysmal we were that year to be fair.

Some of his stats to go along with that 1/17 make for grim reading too. 9 games out of 59 in the PL, his teams have conceded in the last 10 mins to throw points away, 6 of which his team were leading but lost to goals in the last 10. 4 times from 2+ goals to the good his teams have thrown points away in the dying moments. I'm sure you remember the Luton, Bournemouth, Burnley, Brentford etc games. 

Tactical terrorism.

He was defensive with us. We actually started the season relatively expansive but without the players to do it which culminated in being tonked at your place.

After that under massive speculation he was about to be sacked he turned to a 4-3-3 and yeah essentially had the in the middle holding. It was a combination of Freuler, O'Brien, Kouyate, Mangala, Yates, Colback and then later Shelvey briefly...there's not a great deal of dynamism or creativity amongst that lot.

Edited by South Notts NFFC
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, DezFox said:

I’m calling it now. Even if we are winless after 8 games, he is still definitely here. We will just go through the motions to not cause a stir. I think he will be in a position that we are all too familiar with. One win buys him another 5 games regardless of the results of those. Out of curiosity, does anyone know what a potential sacking would cost? Surely given our situation with points deduction we will have given it him in caveat that the pay out isn’t huge? Obviously I know this is us so extremely doubtful. 

Cooper was definitely third choice. Potter according to the Guardian was set to join, but something obviously broke down and then Cooper was brought in as the back up option. 

Which makes me think, there will be division in terms of his popularity with the top office….. defeat to Everton would be a disaster really, given their current hopeless form. I’d just get rid, have a chat with Potters reps and see if he fancies it now we’re not getting a deduction, or go all out for Corberán, because he is looking the real deal. 

Either way Cooper has to go, I just hope the board see sense this time and don’t piss around waiting for it to get to the stage it did with Rodgers. Top has to show some bollocks for once and be a proper owner, be ruthless when it’s needed, and it’s really needed now. Like I’ve said the writings on the wall with Cooper, we won’t improve under him, he’s a useless coach, a useless tactician and gives off a vibe of “I’m really happy to be here”.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Matt said:

It worked in the Tottenham game, but it seems that has to caveated by "They had numerous chances and could have beat us 3, 4 or 5".

Nope.

They didn't.

Can't have it both ways.

It didn't work in the Tottenham game when we were sat back and defending in the first half is when they were all over us it was only once we were behind and decided to have a go in the second half that we looked good. The attempts to defend have failed everytime we have tried it against Totenham (first half), Fulham (first half) and now against palace.

We look much better when playing our creativa players and trying to take the game to the other team so we should do that more often I thought that would be obvious to anyone with half a footballing brain.

• Like 1

The i were running some rumour this morning that there is discontent in the camp over Cooper’s methods. Is this something that has already been covered in here and I missed it? Or newspaper nonsense? Or has big brother pulled the story off this forum? 🤔 

Edited by TrentFox

20 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

The i were running some rumour this morning that there is discontent in the camp over Cooper’s methods. Is this something that has already been covered in here and I missed it? Or newspaper nonsense? Or has big brother pulled the story off this forum? 🤔 

I heard it last week, senior players do not like Coopers "Hands Off" approach. Enzo was telling all players exactly what he wanted at all times, where as Cooper leaves them to think for themselves more.

I have to believe there is some truth to it - Vestegaard being dropped from the squad with no reason, Ricci not playing a single minute so far - it feels like something else is going on and I've not heard any players speak supportively of the new manager - last season all they talked about was how Enzo had changed things since he came in

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

It was being reported by the mirror a couple of days ago

Just now, beepee1984 said:

I heard it last week, senior players do not like Coopers "Hands Off" approach. Enzo was telling all players exactly what he wanted at all times, where as Cooper leaves them to think for themselves more.

I have to believe there is some truth to it - Vestegaard being dropped from the squad with no reason, Ricci not playing a single minute so far - it feels like something else is going on and I've not heard any players speak supportively of the new manager - last season all they talked about was how Enzo had changed things since he came in

Even Mavididi’s latest interview he was absolutely gushing about the influence Enzo has had on his career, however I am also sure that the squad will have had some frustrations as to the structure and style last season, but the difference appears to be in how Enzo managed the squad, his expectations and standards.

To an outsider, whilst Enzo was very stubborn. his attention to detail will impress players, whereas Cooper doesn’t seem to have that aura, he gives me supply teacher vibes, more relaxed and not as intense or focused which is perhaps to big a change in culture. 

Vesty and Riccy P come across as consummate professionals and last season were arguably 2 of our best and most influential players, yet both seem to be finding themselves out in the cold. I can’t imagine that will go down well with other squad members. 

as I have said previously where is the leak coming from and interesting it is finding its way into the media, helps set the scene for an early parting of the ways. Similar stories have come out about Ranieri and Puel and their exits followed pretty quickly afterwards. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Bablemikey said:

The Everton game next week feels like a defining moment. Winner stays on?

Let's be honest, we aren't sacking him this early. We should, we absolutely should. 

But we'll think we're being sensible to keep him and give him time. 

He could probably get to November without a win and still keep his job. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1