Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Steve Cooper - New Manager

42 minutes ago, Dickov22 said:

England job looks out of his grasp 

Points deduction now not a thing 

Could we tempt Graham Potter?

I think we could. When we were linked with him our squad hadn’t been strengthened hugely. Now we have demonstrated we have potential to stay clear of relegation dogfight imo - but with Cooper in charge that’s what we’ll get.

16 hours ago, MancFox24 said:

I wasn't a fan of Cooper's appointment and I really can't stand his constant blathering on about refereeing decisions. But 4 games in and I actually give us a better chance of survival now than before the season began (not just because of the point deduction decision). The football hasn't been great but we've been competitive in all the games and have scored in every one, despite the defensive set up. I imagine the target given to Cooper at the start of the year was 17th and while that's still a realistic possibility, I can't see them getting rid of him any time soon.

100%

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

I think we could. When we were linked with him our squad hadn’t been strengthened hugely. Now we have demonstrated we have potential to stay clear of relegation dogfight imo - but with Cooper in charge that’s what we’ll get.

wasn't there a suggestion that Potter wanted more power than Rudkin wanted to relinquish, if memory serves me right @LinekersLugs dropped a few hints 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ACF said:

Again, finance vs accounting. We HAVE the money we just can’t spend it. £75m means nothing, it’s the yearly breakdown that matters.

Assuming they were all four year deals, £18.75m of transfer charges this transfer window. All of the incomings were last financial year.

Based off the increased revenue expected it’s a very small amount. 

Not passing judgement on whether good or bad, but the spend number means nothing without the context.

If we have money to spunk away, why have we not pressed on with the development plans?

37 minutes ago, guest123 said:

I want to just put this out there as a bit of poser going forward, especially for the people defending him and saying about staying up

What if Cooper does last the season and keeps us up? what do we want/expect for the following season? can anyone see him taking us forward and pushing the club forward? do we buckle in for another bumpy season and accept 17th place?

imho Cooper isn't a manager that is going to drag a club like us 12+ in the PL. He's simply not good enough. I think he had 2 plus points which were- He was available, and he kept Forest up in difficult circumstances.

If he keeps us up, he will always be a few results away from the sack. Survival at all costs is our priority this season and if (that a big if) he delivers that the i will be grateful for his time here. But he's not the manager that is going to kick us on after that. If we want to progress we will have to be looking elsewhere. But its all about the 'now' and we've got to start picking some results up.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

The only saving grace at the moment is that we're scoring goals. More than the other promoted teams combined, more than Notts Forest who are 7th. 

I have no doubt we'll score more than a Nuno team it's just keeping them out is where he is better. I don't think Forest will be fighting relegation with us.

11 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

I think it’s shocking anyone who thinks he’ll keep us up when it’s 19 consecutive pl games without a win. 

Everton game will be really telling. We've looked competative so far, but we need to take that game and own it and get a win. If we don't beat Everton, i'm not sure where i see the bigger results coming from. 

Edited by Chelmofox
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I have no doubt we'll score more than a Nuno team it's just keeping them out is where he is better. I don't think Forest will be fighting relegation with us.

I think Forest have got about a third of the points that they need to stay up this season already lol The bottom of this league is horrendous. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mod hero said:

Thats what I read as well

where did you read that, as it's the first time i've heard of it. the 2 things going round was what i said about Potter wanting more control, and they're was something in Potter's pay off from Chelsea that was an issue. no idea what's true though

14 minutes ago, guest123 said:

where did you read that, as it's the first time i've heard of it. the 2 things going round was what i said about Potter wanting more control, and they're was something in Potter's pay off from Chelsea that was an issue. no idea what's true though

I find this tough to believe when we have given all our last 3 managers (including Cooper) more control than 90% of other clubs in the Championship/PL allow their managers. Plus, he worked at Chelsea and Brighton - two clubs where managers have little control over anything off of the pitch. 

1 hour ago, Suzie the Fox said:

I think we will just about stay up, but only because there are 3x teams worse than us. 

Who are your 3?

Of the current bottom six I would expect Wolves and Crystal Palace to finish above us. I expect the teams currently above us to finish above us.

That leaves Southampton, Ipswich and Everton. For me it’s much of a muchness when you compare us against them. I’d be confident if it was more definitive 

Sometimes, you just have to laugh.

We've had managers at this club who have inherited good teams and got us relegated.  

We've had managers who jump ship, just when you think things are starting to head in the right direction.  

And we've had managers who pretty obviously didn't want to be here, from day one.

Fair play that they got plenty of stick, and even a bit of vitriol.

And here we have some bloke being slaughtered because in our first 4 Premier League games we've gone 1-1, 1-2, 1-2, 2-2, against teams that finished last season 5th, 13th, 4th and 10th respectively.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying Mr Cooper is some re-incarnated Welsh Martin O'Neil.     But come on ....................................

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

Who are your 3?

Of the current bottom six I would expect Wolves and Crystal Palace to finish above us. I expect the teams currently above us to finish above us.

That leaves Southampton, Ipswich and Everton. For me it’s much of a muchness when you compare us against them. I’d be confident if it was more definitive 

Southampton, Everton and Ipswich. Palace are bit shit also, based on their performance last week, not convinced they will finish above us.  Wolves will be fine once they sort out their defence, especially their left side. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chelmofox said:

Everton game will be really telling. We've looked competative so far, but we need to take that game and own it and get a win. If we don't beat Everton, i'm not sure where i see the bigger results coming from. 

We need to beat Everton and Bournemouth before the international break. 7 points would be a decent return. Obviously I’m not expecting anything at Arsenal. 

5 minutes ago, Babylon said:

And Finnegan is one of them.

In all seriousness, though, I think you'd have to have a pretty limited understanding of football as an actual game with tactics and strategies to watch Leicester and think that Cooper was qualified to be coaching a team in the Premier League. 

Our failings aren't about the players not quite getting it or making individual mistakes or needing time to gel. 

Our failings are poor tactical decision making from the ground up.

• Like 1