Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Steve Cooper - New Manager

Just now, GavParket said:

Happy with the appointment. Good track record, will promote the youth. Really surprised by all the negative fallout, especially with little substance to their comments.

I honestly think it’s a mix of the club doing  the £25 charge and then the match day price increase,  then being so close to potter and then getting a less exciting manager in cooper. It’s just a culmination of things that are making people overreact. He’s a good manager and it’s a decent appointment. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, oz was my hero said:

So does top. He's responsible  for not getting rid of rudkin and who ever else got us in this shit

We’re in the Premier League. We really aren’t in as much shit as people like to make out. 

• Like 1

I'm happy with this appointment.  Made his name in youth level football (just like Enzo!) , but has achieved quite a lot at Championship level and also managed to survive in the Premiership, despite working for a looney tunes owner.  I guess he has learnt quite a lot over this time and no one seems to doubt his man management skills.  He has the basis of a fairly settled squad with some talented players, including a fair amount of premier league experience and some young players with bright prospects.  He clearly has views on how he would like to play , but is also likely to be pragmatic.  The alternatives were, in my opinion, somewhat over-hyped.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

You are ignoring the bit where he said he's always done a decent job! And the fact that most of the arguments against him have been about how ugly he is, or that he once worked for Forest (ah-hem, Martin O'Neill, Wes Morgan...) which means that countering it with 'well, he doesn't seem a bad chap' is perfectly valid.

The question for people who are unhappy, or saying 'is this the best we could do?' is: Who, that might realistically have been interested in the job, has a better-suited record than Cooper? I think if we engage in that argument, those who feel Cooper deserves a fair chance are on the steadier ground.

There's not really much point engaging in that argument because unlike the people responsible for hiring Cooper, fans unhappy with the appointment have no way of knowing who was or wasn't interested in the job, nor can they conduct a recruitment process using the contacts and resources the club has. If we're in the market for a striker this summer and we end up signing someone like Billy Sharp, I think I'd be justified in saying that's a shit signing without producing a list of alternative targets because I don't get paid a lot of money to identify them.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Felt more infused about Dean Smith. Really underwhelmed and dreading what's coming next. When you see what Palace, Fulham, Brighton and even bloody Bournemouth have done, the arguments for Coopers PL forest performances are really weak.

The good news is that if it goes 'ok' i will be delighted.

But feel this sets a marker for a new era which puts us in our place. I doubt we fire the guy because i would imagine the negotiations included what happens if relegated (it would have to because of points deductions). So if this is shit, its going to be shit for a long time.

Agree with this entirely. I personally think it’s an appointment far more underwhelming than any we have had in a very long time. It’s basically just giving up and planning for championship I think. Pointless getting annoyed about, nothing can be done. Personally I think this is going one way and it not good. They have got this wrong, very wrong. 

• Sad 1

How do we think he’ll set up? 4-2-3-1? 

Based on what we currently have, and Coopers track record bringing through youth players. 

Hermansen

Justin - Faes - Vesty - Kristiansen 

Ricardo - Winks 

Fatawu  -  KDH  -  Mavididi

Vardy

Stolarczyk

New RB - Nelson - Coady - Thomas? 

Hamza - Braybrooke

New RW  -  Alves  -  McAteer 

Cannon

2 minutes ago, Foxes96 said:

Based on what we currently have, and Coopers track record bringing through youth players. 

Hermansen

Ricardo - Winks 

Vardy

Stolarczyk

Hamza - Braybrooke

Cannon

7-1-1-1

Edited by Chelmofox
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

I dispute this but the reality is we will never know - i just dislike it being presented as fact these days.  The Bournemouth game as well as our performances against Norwich, WBA and Southampton showed me the tactics also could work when not playing low block sides. 

I think the plus point now is that 17th with Enzo would have been seen by our fans as proof his system didn't work, where 17th under Cooper would be seen as the master pragmatist sh1thousing safety. Almost masterful that expectations have been shifted so much with this appointment. 

To your other point about Soumare, Cooper almost played with no midfield at times. Dont see how Soumare fits his system, assuming Cooper doesnt try and reinvent himself as a possession manager all of a sudden.

Clearly expressed as an opinion, not fact. Let's wait and see though, eh? What a time to be alive ... still excited.

Finally got my season ticket back this season and I was so excited for the new season, back in the Premier League and with Enzo at the helm it felt like a real opportunity to kick on. Yes, there were questions that still remain regarding finances, players out of contract and the points deduction which probably Enzo knew about and that's at least a small part of the reason why he jumped ship. The main reason being Chelsea came knocking.

Then it looks for all the world we are getting Potter, great, a very good appointment. That ship sails and we end up with Cooper. Gutted.

I will back the team obviously, but this is a massively disappointing appointment and has sapped all of the enthusiasm I had out of the upcoming season.

Cooper has an absolute mountain to climb, the vast majority of fans dont want him with his Forest connections, the club is disjointed and between Rudkin, Whelan and Top it seems nobody has a clue. This inability to get the targets we want on the player front and now the manager front remains and someone's head needs to roll for it, it is happening far too often.

Good luck Steve, you will need it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jim5000 said:

So we’ve appointed a Bob-a-job championship manager from the carousel.

Feels very underwhelming, with the left field appointments the club had previously managed to find, getting Steve from just down the road is uninspiring.

Goes against our playing philosophy as well.

I guess nobody better wanted to come join us, and we are now officially back to being a yo-yo club after a decade of progress.

Ultimately, I blame Rodgers for all this.

Left field appointments? Every manager we've ever had has / had previously worked in England. We cast the smallest net possible.

• Like 3

I think that one of the positives of Cooper is will likely have that hunger for the job that would seem to have been lacking in Potter and also in Enzo, huffing around talking about leaving if we don't all get on board with his 'idea' and then jumping ship at the first opportunity.  That counts for a lot with me and I think he might be able to establish a rapport among with the fans that Enzo was unable to do despite success and has been lacking for such a long time.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Gloria said:

Clearly expressed as an opinion, not fact. Let's wait and see though, eh? What a time to be alive ... still excited.

Appreciate that. I feel about as excited as being told i need root canal.  It might make things ok in the medium term, but the short term is likely to be horrible and i know there is no great hope that the tooth will see out the long term.

Reminds me a little of when we appointed Gary O'Neil, albeit he'd managed to keep Bournemouth up. He might surprise you, he might immediately send you straight back down. 

Not the most inspiring appointment going from Poundland Pep to a Forest reject...  but you have to give him a chance as there's nothing you can do about it now. 

What was the stroy with Graham Potter? Is he holding out for the England job or did he just want too much transfer money availble/put off by the potential points deductions? 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

My main issue, yet again, is the frankly embarrassingly amateur way our board has overseen this whole saga.

- They start off with aggy remarks about Maresca as he left, ok fine - it's annoying, but be professional ffs.

- They talk to Cooper early on, it's clear he wants it - a fair few sources confirmed that we were in talks a few weeks ago.

- They then spend about 2 weeks seemingly going 'ok, well Cooper's a good backup option, now let's see who else there is'

- They publicly court Potter and get made to look like fools yet again.

- They then try and backtrack and claim that Cooper was 'always the standout candidate for the role' (well why spend weeks talking to other people if you were always going to give it to Cooper?) - do they genuinely take the fans for idiots?

- The whole thing ends with the fanbase mystified and disillusioned as to what's going on, Cooper comes in knowing that despite what the board says, they clearly would have gone with Potter if they could have gotten him - which must really make him feel wanted and valued - and the whole thing has become a circus.

NONE OF THIS NEEDED TO HAPPEN. Absolute amateurs - it's an embarrassingly shit way to conduct any kind of business, not just running a football club.

Yes. Yes they do

16 minutes ago, Foxes96 said:

Hermansen

Ricardo - Winks 

Vardy

Stolarczyk

Hamza - Braybrooke

Cannon

Thomas - hahahahahahahahahah 

1 hour ago, RumbleFox said:

Tbf I wouldn’t have chosen him either 

It's not just a matter of choosing.  Potter turned us down because he would loose more in severance pay from Chelsea than we could afford to pay him.  Corberan would involve compensation to West Brom that we can ill-afford.  Not aware of many other hats being tossed into the ring.  People have got to want come, and we're not the most enticing prospect to any manager with a decent CV at the moment.

Edited by PaulW
  • Like 2