Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Steve Cooper - New Manager

1 hour ago, Pliskin said:

That’s not strictly true. It’s more because it would have taken time, and the club wanted a swift appointment. They’ve got transfer business to finalise and can’t afford to be pissing around waiting, hence why they’ve decided to move for Cooper. 

Not what the podcast has just said

57 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Burnley getting RVN makes this harder to swallow. I think we’d all have preferred a punt on someone with a higher ceiling. 

I don’t see the point in hiring someone for the scrap this year. We are too far up against it. I’d rather have seen this season as a building block for the future. Coopers stock is already low with us. If we go down he won’t have many foxes fans backing him to bring us back up, the momentum will be the wrong way. 

I think the best thing copper can do is focus on our young players and build the team around them. 

One of Coopers strong points is that he knows how to build a team & isn't afraid to use academy players. 

1 hour ago, FoxinNotts said:

I hear this 'we're fvcked' / 'we're skint'. People do realise that KP do have money to spend, lots and lots of it, in fact, it's just that FFP rules mean that we can't spend anything until after the financial year changes on 1st of July, right? - So it is quite understandable tbh

It’s understandable that we’ve been mismanaged to the point of not being able to spend £1m annual cost on a manager? We could have appointed him from July like Chelsea have you realise 

1 hour ago, Lambert09 said:

Burnley getting RVN makes this harder to swallow. I think we’d all have preferred a punt on someone with a higher ceiling. 

I don’t see the point in hiring someone for the scrap this year. We are too far up against it. I’d rather have seen this season as a building block for the future. Coopers stock is already low with us. If we go down he won’t have many foxes fans backing him to bring us back up, the momentum will be the wrong way. 

I think the best thing copper can do is focus on our young players and build the team around them. 

Tbh I'm not convinced by RVN in the slightest. Actually more excited by the Ponty Pep than Ruud. 

5 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I've, probably unsurprisingly, got quite a few friends who are Jacks. I've known about Cooper long before he rocked up in the Midlands and I'm aware his Swansea side played a lot differently to his Forest side. 

But, honestly, this is part of the problem for me. 

I appreciate a LOT of this forum want a pragmatist but I'm quite suspicious of someone that preaches a way of playing like a disciple of the theory but then implements something completely different because they're struggling to pull it off. Enzo turned up at a squad that many on here had written off as incapable of playing technical football and got all of them, even Wilf and Hamza, playing like peak Brazil within days. 

But Cooper's Forest weren't just bad they were hideous. I think it's disingenuous a lot of the time to dismiss teams as lucky for the final league standings, it's a 38 game season after all, but they really were saved by some obnoxiously flukey moments in what was an immensely narrow race and honestly finishing ahead of us and Everton was no great achievement. 

That’s a fair point, I said in another post that the worry is he might start one way and then jack it in far too quickly.

I don’t think Rudkin and friends will change their mind about the style.  So if he does jack it in or not implement something resembling a decent style, they won’t be happy. 

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

That’s a fair point, I said in another post that the worry is he might start one way and then jack it in far too quickly.

I don’t think Rudkin and friends will change their mind about the style.  So if he does jack it in or not implement something resembling a decent style, they won’t be happy. 

The style of play is Top isn't it, he's the Barcelona enthusiast. Don't really think Rudkin has any footballing philosophy of note does he tbf. 

But I do agree Cooper has presumably been hired after convincing in an interview that that's how he wants to play. 

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, filbertway said:

**** me.

Me and Babs are aligned in our thinking. The end is nigh! :D 

You will be defending Dufkin next😱

As I said yesterday pretty underwhelming appointment, however I am 100% behind him and I hope he is successful and proves me and the other doubters wrong as invariably we all want LCFC to succeed. 

Hope he is given sufficient backing to at least give it a real good go and isn’t set up to fail and be the fall guy by our wonderful DoF and owners 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I've, probably unsurprisingly, got quite a few friends who are Jacks. I've known about Cooper long before he rocked up in the Midlands and I'm aware his Swansea side played a lot differently to his Forest side. 

I appreciate a LOT of this forum want a pragmatist but I'm quite suspicious of someone that preaches a way of playing like a disciple of the theory but then implements something completely different because they're struggling to pull it off. Enzo turned up at a squad that many on here had written off as incapable of playing technical football and got all of them, even Wilf and Hamza, playing like peak Brazil within days. 

But Cooper's Forest weren't just bad they were hideous. I think it's disingenuous a lot of the time to dismiss teams as lucky for the final league standings, it's a 38 game season after all, but they really were saved by some obnoxiously flukey moments in what was an immensely narrow race and honestly finishing ahead of us and Everton was no great achievement. 

He rocked up at forest with a group of players stuck in the relegation zone playing hughton ball 

he didn’t have any time to play any way other than being pragmatic and getting the most out of what he had 

in the summer, the club recruited way too many players - I can’t really imagine the difficulty coaching and managing that squad. In that scenario again he is unlikely to be able to do what he wanted 

I’d be looking at last season - he had a summer with the squad but did they play any differently in that august to December period ?  did they seem to have any  particular playing identity? 

Not my first choice but i'll be giving it the beans on match day as always. Time for the fans to draw a line under it and get stuck in to what will be a challenging season. I've been guilty of feeling deflated but it's time to get over it. Welcome to the club steve, I hope you smash it. 

Up the foxes.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Peak Brazil is a ****in huge exaggeration.

20 minutes ago, RyCleary said:

It’s understandable that we’ve been mismanaged to the point of not being able to spend £1m annual cost on a manager? We could have appointed him from July like Chelsea have you realise 

Then the report is incorrect. Don't believe everything you read.

7 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

As I said yesterday pretty underwhelming appointment, however I am 100% behind him and I hope he is successful and proves me and the other doubters wrong as invariably we all want LCFC to succeed. 

Hope he is given sufficient backing to at least give it a real good go and isn’t set up to fail and be the fall guy by our wonderful DoF and owners 

This is how I feel.

He's one of us now and deserves a fair shot. 

Rudkin and Top can **** off

18 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Enzo turned up at a squad that many on here had written off as incapable of playing technical football and got all of them, even Wilf and Hamza, playing like peak Brazil within days. 

I'd say less peak Brazil and more pellegrinis 2nd season man city team on an off day personally.

Seriously though what made his Forest team so hideous? I genuinely don't know as there's no way I'd waste my precious time watching the spawny scumbags. I struggle to imagine it being much worse than some of our poorer performances in recent times?

5 hours ago, LCFCJohn said:

I see it differently. I felt we were done for with Enzo. The inverted full back stuff would have killed us and I’d have been surprised if we didn’t concede more than Sheffield United did this season!

Cooper being more pragmatic and willing to adapt gives me some hope!

Can definitely see your point and some what agree I just think with cooper we will look to just scrape past against any side

29 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

One of Coopers strong points is that he knows how to build a team & isn't afraid to use academy players. 

that’s certainly what i’m hoping for.  i think we would all get behind him if we end up battling for survival and falling short, if that team had alves, braybrooke and nelson in it. 

We would be going down with a strong core to build and grow from.  

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 1

I think we have to be very realistic about where the club is at right now. No budget, impending points deduction, we simply weren't going to be attracting a high calibre manager. 

Cooper is fine in my opinion. I think in a normal season he'd keep us up. I'm not thrilled, but I don't think realistically we're in a position to attract anyone I'd be thrilled about. 

The appointment is done. Give him a chance, let's see where we are after 10 games. UTF

• Like 1