Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Steve Cooper - New Manager

6 hours ago, HarryDee8 said:

Forest fans laughing at us right now 🤣🙈

I’m laughing at us right now. 

5 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Is this a new ITK hint Wymsey, is the fat kid with the lisp our new head of sports science? 

Do you mean Roland? He didn’t have a lisp. His friend had an odd way of speaking and referred to him as Row Land. 

You should stick to commenting on Masters of the Universe imo. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TheLittleBigMan said:

If nothing else at least were gonna get to watch some football that doesn't result in nodding off. Games are definitely gonna be more exciting.  

They could well end up being quite similar except now it will be the other team having all the ball and winning

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

I've, probably unsurprisingly, got quite a few friends who are Jacks. I've known about Cooper long before he rocked up in the Midlands and I'm aware his Swansea side played a lot differently to his Forest side. 

But, honestly, this is part of the problem for me. 

I appreciate a LOT of this forum want a pragmatist but I'm quite suspicious of someone that preaches a way of playing like a disciple of the theory but then implements something completely different because they're struggling to pull it off. Enzo turned up at a squad that many on here had written off as incapable of playing technical football and got all of them, even Wilf and Hamza, playing like peak Brazil within days. 

But Cooper's Forest weren't just bad they were hideous. I think it's disingenuous a lot of the time to dismiss teams as lucky for the final league standings, it's a 38 game season after all, but they really were saved by some obnoxiously flukey moments in what was an immensely narrow race and honestly finishing ahead of us and Everton was no great achievement. 

That's the championship though isnt it. If we're comparing like for like Cooper walked into a Forest that had won 1 and drawn 1 in their last 8 games to start the season, then proceeded to win 22 draw 11 and lose 6 in the next 38 games which is similar to Maresca's championship record with a far worse squad. 

At the end of the day a lot of the gloss that gives managers their reputations comes from the players at their disposal compared to the quality of the opposition players. Ranieri was woeful at Watford yet give him prime Vardy, Kante and Mahrez and you can get 80 points.

As far as I'm concerned Graham Potter having a 32% win rate with Chelsea is far worse than Cooper having a 22% win rate with Forest. If you look at that Forest squad a 38 point season is not far off the best you would expect from them.

Edited by honeybradger
  • Like 3

Cooper wants the job. I am underwhelmed but the Forest fans loved him so he must have something about him. I would rather have someone who wants to he here than someone who does not have the heart and stomach for it. Good.luck Steve.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

At the end of the day a lot of the gloss that gives managers their reputations comes from the players at their disposal compared to the quality of the opposition players. Ranieri was woeful at Watford yet give him prime Kante and Mahrez and you can get 80 points.

This, the obsession with managers is one of the stranger developments in football. It's the eleven players on the pitch that make the difference! Recruitment is far more important - if you get that wrong and it ends with changing managers constantly but it makes very little difference.

2 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

Burnley getting RVN makes this harder to swallow. I think we’d all have preferred a punt on someone with a higher ceiling. 

I don’t see the point in hiring someone for the scrap this year. We are too far up against it. I’d rather have seen this season as a building block for the future. Coopers stock is already low with us. If we go down he won’t have many foxes fans backing him to bring us back up, the momentum will be the wrong way. 

I think the best thing copper can do is focus on our young players and build the team around them. 

(A) They haven't got RVN yet, & (B) Vincent Kompany's ceiling was pretty high, for what it was worth.

The best I can say is I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. If he gets some good results on the boards early on, great, no problems.

If the best he can do is a repeat of winning one away game in a season like Forest, or managing a 36 point haul over 38 games, then with a points deduction added in then he's useless to us, we are down in 20th place and the club is back on the road to oblivion again.

It really all hinges on results. Do the talking on the pitch.

25 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I can't wait for the season to start.  The level of excitement this appointment brings is through the roof.  🙄

You do know that he plays a low block dont you?

I would have preferred if we had take the gamble on someone like Arsenal’s assistant manager or even the manager of Sheffield Wednesday Danny Rohl.

We can do infinitely better than Cooper but anyway he’s our manager now and we have to back him.

But the sooner that the club is sold the better.

Just now, Happy Fox said:

I would have preferred if we had take the gamble on someone like Arsenal’s assistant manager or even the manager of Sheffield Wednesday Danny Rohl.

We can do infinitely better than Cooper but anyway he’s our manager now and we have to back him.

But the sooner that the club is sold the better.

Rohl will have been similar issues to Corberan with them whacking him on a nice new deal at the end of last season so they get a nice chunk of compo when someone eventually comes in for him.

42 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

If you take emotion out of the equation and tried to come up with a decision matrix for who to appoint, you can see why he'd get the job.

Pros

- Available immediately

- Cheap (no compensation to pay, salary won't be too high)

- Fluent English speaker

- Experience at Championship level

- Experience at Premier League level

- Proven experience working with and developing youth (England setup)

- Has some pedigree with previous achievements (England U17 World Cup win, Forest promotion and survival)

- Willing to work within a specific structure

- Has previously deployed attacking and possesion based systems at International level and with Swansea. (Forest too for a bit)

- Wants the job

- Young with lots of potential

- Willing to work at the club as part of a project

Cons

- Negative backlash from fans due to history with rivals and "underwhelming" perception

- Fired from his last job after an extremely poor run of form

If you compare him to Potter, you could use almost the same list for both, barring that there would be no backlash from fans, but crucially, it seems like Potter didn't really want the job. Corberan required compensation and doesn't have as much experience, though personally I would have gone for him over Cooper. In fact to be honest there are are quite a few people I would have prefered, but such is life.

If you leave emotion out of it, then on paper it's a logical decision that makes a lot of sense.

So for that reason...

:scarf: WELCOME SUPER COOPER! :scarf:

Yep, looks like you’re spot on as that’s how the club approached it: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1