Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Steve Cooper - New Manager

I honestly hate it when people say that wanting the job is a perk or a positive. That is the bare minimum for goodness sake. There are about 90% of professional managers that would take it instantly and we all know it.

its like looking for a girlfriend and seeing it as a positive that she is a girl.

It’s a short sighted move from our owners, but doesn’t surprise me. 

They cast the net very wide. Haha 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AjcW said:

First and foremost for me, having someone with a point to prove is exciting. 

Going away and studying and improving is all encouraging. Eddie Howe hadn’t the faintest idea what a defence was at Bournemouth… he rocked up at Newcastle and they were rock solid within a few months. He literally spent his entire year off working on his weakness. 

Hopefully cooper has done the same and found the right balance between counter attack and an element of possession football. 

I was literally thinking this.

Sometimes you learn best from the past to succeed better in the future, if you're willing to analyse what went both right and wrong.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Guest said:

There's not really much point engaging in that argument because unlike the people responsible for hiring Cooper, fans unhappy with the appointment have no way of knowing who was or wasn't interested in the job, nor can they conduct a recruitment process using the contacts and resources the club has. If we're in the market for a striker this summer and we end up signing someone like Billy Sharp, I think I'd be justified in saying that's a shit signing without producing a list of alternative targets because I don't get paid a lot of money to identify them.

It's quite an extreme analogy though. Billy Sharp is past it and couldn't convince Derby - third tier promotion hopefuls - to take a punt on him in January. Cooper is, relative to his profession, young, and has worked at the highest level. It's very possible that he'd have been considered by other top level outfits when they found themselves managerless mid-season. His record would make him a passable appointment even if we weren't facing hefty deductions.

On top of that your argument works the other way round too. What little evidence we have indicates that managers who'd normally consider us, like Potter, were turning their noses up. So in the absence of any proof that anyone wanted it, surely we should be quietly pleased about getting someone who is deemed competent. And you certainly can't go levelling criticism if you're saying that our lack of knowledge invalidates any praise of the appointment. Because by that measure he might have been literally the only person willing to do the job, and all criticism also goes out of the window.

Edited by inckley fox
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Vaz said:

I think that open letter was written by the same person who writes Tops programme notes

Look Keith, go back to pretending you can fix washing machines.  You and the hinduja's cam do one aswell.:plancque:

20 minutes ago, DezFox said:

I honestly hate it when people say that wanting the job is a perk or a positive. That is the bare minimum for goodness sake. There are about 90% of professional managers that would take it instantly and we all know it.

its like looking for a girlfriend and seeing it as a positive that she is a girl.

It’s a short sighted move from our owners, but doesn’t surprise me. 

They cast the net very wide. Haha 

Potter clearly didn’t. 

if you manage a team - you quickly realise it’s not always the smartest you need in the boat, you need people that will run through brick walls and deliver for you. 

Attitude, desire and willingness are all great characteristics. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, iancognito said:

This should be pinned up somewhere at the top of the forum.

Some of the comments I've read are misinformed, some are disrespectful, some are just plain childish bullshit from people still either upset about Enzo or upset about Potter.

If you genuinely want to "give up your ticket" or even "make it toxic from day one" then stay away from the club and let the rest of us get behind the team AND Cooper.

Well said we support the team not a particular manager

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

It's quite an extreme analogy though. Billy Sharp is past it and couldn't convince Derby - third tier promotion hopefuls - to take a punt on him at Derby. Cooper is, relative to his profession, young, and has worked at the highest level. It's very possible that he'd have been considered by other top level outfits when they found themselves managerless mid-season. His record would make him a passable appointment even if we weren't facing hefty deductions.

On top of that your argument works the other way round too. What little evidence we have indicates that managers who'd normally consider us, like Potter, were turning their noses up. So in the absence of any proof that anyone wanted it, surely we should be quietly pleased about getting someone who is deemed competent. And you certainly can't go levelling criticism if you're saying that our lack of knowledge invalidates any praise of the appointment. Because by that measure he might have been literally the only person willing to do the job, and all criticism also goes out of the window.

Deliberately so, yes. I'm not equating Billy Sharp's current ability as a player to Steve Cooper's as a manager. Replace his name with Fabio Silva or any other very average but semi-plausible Premier League striker if it makes more sense to you.

My point is I think the "argument" you proposed is not one that makes any sense because I don't see why having a list of available and willing managers should be an prerequisite to expressing disappointment with getting Cooper. I think it's a middling-to-underwhelming appointment because as a footballer supporter I've watched his teams play, and yet I don't have a little black book of plausible alternatives to hand because I'm not a football agent or well-connected journalist. Similarly, when Rodgers was stinking the place out I thought it was pretty reasonable for people to say he needed sacking without necessarily being able to name a replacement.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, atomicfox said:

We're reaching levels of hyperbole round here I never thought possible.

Lol.. You clearly don't remember the Rodgers or Enzo threads then!

God l wish l didn't. 😐

• Like 1