Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Steve Cooper - New Manager

I know this is probably massive cope on my part but I do think he seems like the sort of personality that our fans will come to get behind in time.

Still finding it hard to process he's ended up with us to be honest.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Happy Fox said:

I would have preferred if we had take the gamble on someone like Arsenal’s assistant manager or even the manager of Sheffield Wednesday Danny Rohl.

We can do infinitely better than Cooper but anyway he’s our manager now and we have to back him.

But the sooner that the club is sold the better.

think we might have felt a bit burnt going for  a top teams assistant..

2 minutes ago, Newby112 said:

Last year when Enzo was announced I felt positive and hopeful, With Cooper I feel deflated.. I just hope if he gets sacked his payout isn't going to be too much.

at least we won’t have to worry about a  big club coming in for him in 12 months time…

Honestly I feel that everyone else has rejected us that we have approached and Copper was the only one to show some interest. Like others have said it's such a deflating appointment, I always thought Top goes for 'outside the box' recruitment in terms of management (Ranieri, BR, Enzo) but this is just desperate. 

Ah well he's our manager now, let's see what happens this season. 

14 minutes ago, hejammy said:

Honestly I feel that everyone else has rejected us that we have approached and Copper was the only one to show some interest. Like others have said it's such a deflating appointment, I always thought Top goes for 'outside the box' recruitment in terms of management (Ranieri, BR, Enzo) but this is just desperate. 

Ranieri was very very low down on a list. We know of Hiddink, Martin O'Neill and even Sam Allardyce being offered it then. Ranieri's stock wasn't exactly high after losing to the Faroe Islands. 

3 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

Ranieri was very very low down on a list. We know of Hiddink, Martin O'Neill and even Sam Allardyce being offered it then. Ranieri's stock wasn't exactly high after losing to the Faroe Islands. 

My point it even all the names you have mentioned (except maybe big Sam) they were still left field appointments. Never did we feel as deflated as this one. This takes me back to Peter Tailor, Basset, Adams days. 

41 minutes ago, hejammy said:

I think your right tbh. It's obvious Top wanted Potter but at the moment we are in such a horrible position no one wants to touch us.

20 hours ago, Ashley said:

I can't say I'm overly pleased with the appointment but I'll get behind him and the team. 

Quite clearly Rudkin and the Board/Owners don't have a clear vision and they've tried to blag it. 

Building on this. 

We NEED to stay in the Premier League this coming Season. We need Cooper to be what Puel was and get us back on track of pushing/sustaining top half Premier League football. Set the foundations and go again. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Building on this. 

We NEED to stay in the Premier League this coming Season. We need Cooper to be what Puel was and get us back on track of pushing/sustaining top half Premier League football. Set the foundations and go again. 

Spot on with the previous point.

Yet one person in particular will claim its not their responsibility to have a long term vision on the football side of things.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Potter clearly didn’t. 

if you manage a team - you quickly realise it’s not always the smartest you need in the boat, you need people that will run through brick walls and deliver for you. 

Attitude, desire and willingness are all great characteristics. 

Potter and Cooper weren’t the only options, or at least shouldn’t have been.

• Like 1

Not sure how many on here subscribe to The Athletic, but a very good article on there about Cooper - by the Forest beat writer - but it shines through what a great job he did there and how much affection there is for him. 

Key takeaways from me were how he went up playing an possession based game, but found it didn't work in the Premier League with his players (4-0 at Leicester being the nadir) so adapted to a more pragmatic style. The fact that since he left Forest, he's thrown himself into more study of tactics wacthing games across the country and Europe has shiwn he wants to learn and isn't just coming to roll out the same thing he did at Forest last year. And that he has been approached by 6 or 7 Championship clubs, but has waited for the right opportunity. He is not an unwanted manager on the scrapheap. 

It is very difficult to reconcile that article with the views, stereotypes and negativity on here about Cooper.

We honestly might have found the perfect fit as the biggest fear was Enzo's style wouldn't work. Cooper has been there and bought the T-shirt. 

And neither of the other candidates were perfect fits. Potter might have been too Rodgers in wanting everything to he done his way or else, and Corberon might have been too Enzo: leaving West Brom after less than 2 years to climb the ladder left me thinking he would not hesitate to do the same to us if successful. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

Easy to be underwhelmed with a man who’s previously worked hard to make Forest the best they’ve been in two generations, just because it was Forest and he’s not a handsome man. But he did make an utterly shit club pretty good, despite an appalling board.

The last time we went into a PL season we had Brendan Rodgers managing us, and frankly I’m much more optimistic about Cooper’s abilities than I ever was about Brenda’s. 

Much is made of the “appalling board’.

they financed the promotion season and financed them staying in the league. 

They’ve also massively improved the club off the pitch and have plans for a ground improvements/new ground and training ground. 

nothing has ever suggested they interfere with team selections etc and it perhaps isn’t unreasonable the board wanted a better return than what they were getting. 

a huge bit of luck and forests home seige mentality kept them up first season and he was taking them down second season. Cooper isn’t getting that level of support from our fans. 

I appreciate people will try to kid themselves it’s a good appointment but it really isn’t. It’s simply the cheap option. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

Easy to be underwhelmed with a man who’s previously worked hard to make Forest the best they’ve been in two generations, just because it was Forest and he’s not a handsome man. But he did make an utterly shit club pretty good, despite an appalling board.

This is the point. He managed to turn an utterly dreadful, relegation-fodder Forest, full of malaise - who has been this way for years - into a team that ultimately got promoted. He then kept them up for a season, despite working for a lunatic crime lord, whose son wanted to play Football Manager and went round Europe signing wastemen.

These are huge achievements, and demonstrate that he can get good results against the odds and working in difficult circumstances. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

The first thing Cooper needs to do is stop rocking Paul Smith tops and grab himself some vintage jumpers emblazoned with ‘The Sweater Shop.’ - Syston’s finest (defunct) clothing wear. 

IMG_9326.jpeg

Get the man top to toe in Admiral and Hype!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pliskin said:

We were only interested in three….. Potter wanted him and his team to have full control of transfers and we said no…… Corberan is subject to a release clause which means messing around with finances and waiting, which the club didn’t want to do, Cooper was the one who agreed to all of the clubs demands. They’ve made it clear it was a fluid process, and it boiled down to one of these three choices. 

This idea that managers have rejected us left right and centre is ridiculous. To make a few points clear. 

1. We’ve got money, plenty of it, we can spend money, we just need to make sure to don’t breach PRS by spending too much money. 

2. the points deduction probably won’t happen until November, and it will be a maximum of 8 points, which we could well be well clear of by the time it’s implemented.

3. as a fan base we need to stop being so negative, I’ve been guilty of it, but the facts are Cooper is our manager now, and it’s a fantastic opportunity for him to A, properly show people what he’s about, because the club will back him, and B, he’s not a fluffy manager who has one fixed ideology. Coopers history with youth players should be exciting any academy product that’s showing an ounce of potential will get a chance, which is what we want considering we’ve build this mega training facility for just that. And two, a mate of mine who’s a red broccoli fan, said Cooper is red hot on scouting, and likes to find unearthed gems from around the globe, so @Ric Flair should hopefully be on board with that. 

Now he’s in place, let’s stop doom mongering and writing the season off before it’s even started, and back the lads. 

The more I read and research about Steve Cooper the happier I feel about the appointment. I really hope in his time away from the game he has taken stock of good and bad from his time at Forest and will come to us a better Manager with a point to prove, which can be a really plus for us. 

He will get my 100% support and I absolute want him to be a massive success at the club, what I really want to see is some stability and a Manager who is here for a period of time as this will be our 4th Manager in the last 18 months. 

• Like 2