Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Steve Cooper - New Manager

6 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Thing is, he really did do a good job at Forest. They’ve been nothing for the best part of nearly three decades, and managed to get them promoted, out of the blue, and keep them up despite having a maniac as an owner. And has Nuno actually done any better? There’s portions of the Broccoli army who don’t think he has, I think one of the main complements is, Brighton fans wouldn’t have Potter back, Forest fans would have Cooper back…  

Cooper is held in the same regard at Forest as Pearson is for Leicester.... mainly because he got them to where they were, from the doldrums into the premier league....  Potter didn't do that for Brighton, albeit he helped to establish them there. 

Pearson has not had huge amounts of managerial success after Leicester, yet a proportion of our fans would welcome him back with open arms at every opportunity.... It doesn't necessarily mean that he would achieve the same things.  I suspect the same could be said for Cooper... we just don't know how he is going to do in his next role. 

Obviously, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, I hope that he manages to keep us up and start to build the squad into one which resembles a premier league outfit again, but time will tell... 

I've said previously, I'd have much preferred Moyes who has a track record of this over a 20 year period... but who knows... maybe cooper is the next moyes...  :S none of us REALLY know the answer to that! 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Leeds Fox said:

So many on here didn’t want to see the football Enzo played. Understandable.

We’ve now got a pragmatic manager who will likely set up solid and not to lose. It’s not the dream appointment, but he MIGHT keep us up.

The options were poor, I don’t think I’d have been satisfied with any other than maybe Corberan, and that was one that could’ve gone either way. 

Glad it’s not Potter, the bloke has delusions of grandeur. Did well with Brighton, to be outshone by De Zerbi and relied on a fantastic scouting programme (which we currently don’t have).

We were close to appointing Marsch last season (allegedly) we got Maresca. Things could’ve been much worse.

I’d like to see everyone get behind the manager and the squad, accept the losses and hope Cooper builds a team spirit that can keep us up.

I’ll get behind him and look forward to seeing how the team reacts and adapts. I’m hoping Fatawu and Mavadidi will be let loose to fly forward and attack more often rather than reigned in.  We will be needing them a lot for goals. 

• Like 3

Just now, Richmondfox said:

I’ll get behind him and look forward to seeing how the team reacts and adapts. I’m hoping Fatawu and Mavadidi will be let loose to fly forward and attack more often rather than reigned in.  We will be needing them a lot for goals. 

100%. When I said he will be pragmatic, I think that also allows the wingers and forwards to be effective.

Defend well and use your outlets. 

• Like 1

I genuinely think Mavidi, Vardy and Fatawu will be a lethal front three in the PL in a more counter attacking team. Whenever we played a more open team Mavididi in particular would go up a gear.

Towards the end of Forest's first season in the PL Cooper had Forest playing some decent counter attacking football and they got decent results off some tough fixtures.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

The more I read and research about Steve Cooper the happier I feel about the appointment. I really hope in his time away from the game he has taken stock of good and bad from his time at Forest and will come to us a better Manager with a point to prove, which can be a really plus for us. 

He will get my 100% support and I absolute want him to be a massive success at the club, what I really want to see is some stability and a Manager who is here for a period of time as this will be our 4th Manager in the last 18 months. 

I agree with your sentiments here but would just say 4 in 18 months sounds worse than it is and actually nothing to do with the club at all (not that I am one to defend the club in any way).

Rodgers was were for over 4 years, a good stint for a modern manager. Due to the stage in the season we then had a caretaker. Brought in a long term appointment who then jumped ship after a year. Hopefully Cooper can bring a bit of stability though as you say.

24 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Thing is, he really did do a good job at Forest. They’ve been nothing for the best part of nearly three decades, and managed to get them promoted, out of the blue, and keep them up despite having a maniac as an owner. And has Nuno actually done any better? There’s portions of the Broccoli army who don’t think he has, I think one of the main complements is, Brighton fans wouldn’t have Potter back, Forest fans would have Cooper back…  

The suggestion that there are a lot of Forest fans that didn’t like him is a nonsense. He is looked at like Pearson, most Leicester fans fondly remember Pearson with the odd weirdo. Cooper turned the club around in spite of the Chairman. He isn’t the most inspiring option, I get that but it’s unjustified to right him off his record is respectable.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, It'sblueupnorth said:

If I’m paying 72 quid a ticket I want a seat on the bench 

That gets on a bench at Vicky Park

Gotta be loads a dosh to get into the ground

Apparently he is bringing in a set piece coach, so thats a positive as we have been shit at set pieces for so long at both ends.

I hope he can use Souttar and some of the other out of favour players effectively and maybe teach the forwards how to hit the target, if he can do that he will win me over.

He wasnt may favourite choice to be honest but I suppose we will have to get behind him and hope he has some talent. 

Edited by Foxin_Mad
  • Like 1

Reading the article in the metro is interestng and puts a different spin on things (apologies if already been mentioned)

There were concerns over Potter's enthusiasm for the job which is believable

Costs in hiring him due to bigger wage demands

Costs in bringing in staff many of whom are still at Chelsea

Added to the fact that it seems as though Cooper will be much more willing and probably able to get the best out of what we have, before we go spuffing tens of millions on an overhaul. We'd all love a squad refresh, but we also know where we are financially and we're not equipped to do it. 

So maybe a U turn wasnt such a terrible idea. 

We now have a manager that genuinely seems like he wants to be here, and that is a huge positive for a club in our position

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A few things I like about Cooper - 

He doesn't have one style. He'll be more dynamic and will change his tactics game by game. With the ball, I think we'll be more direct, moving the ball quicker and with more purpose.

If he's looking to bring in a set piece coach - That's been a weakness of ours for years offensively and defensively. We're going to need to address that.

Very interested to see if he'll give Souttar, Kristiansen, Cannon opportunities. If he can bring these back into the fold and get the best out of the players already here - that's another bonus. 

He comes across as a very likeable bloke. The togetherness he created at Forest was a massive part of his success and he's clearly good at motivating players.  And we are going to need that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

If he does keep us up I would hope we bin him and hire in a higher profile manager.

Would that higher profile manager happen to be Scottish by any chance, surname beginning with M and ending with S?  

If he keeps us up under the likely circumstances we face nest season and we sack him I'm done with the club.

• Like 1

I really don't understand some our fans, down trodden feeling on Steve Cooper. Sadly bit like this country at the moment.   Steve has shown the interest in becoming LCFC manager , from Pearson we have had to swoo people to come and manage us, knobs like Brendan Rodgers really took the biscuit for me, he never wanted to be here from the start.  Potter smelt the same , he was dragging himself to LCFC , messing us about, thinking like Brendan he is big time.  Steve is not only a decent guy, he created a team bond the saw his team survive their first season back in the prem after 23 years in such a short space of time.  It went belly up because the mad own flew in 40 players , which over stretched the bond he built with the prem survivors /championship play off team.  Most managers would have struggled with that.  

Above all he wants to be here, he's seen our weakness and is already on to it.  He has won the under 17 world cup and did more after that getting to finals/semi finals.  Come on Foxes, lets light the foxes Spirit in all of us, and really get behind him, because he wanted us.  This is a big change from us chasing people that not always have us as their priority. Steve can do this.

19 minutes ago, FoxOfMelton said:

I was hoping I'd wake up this morning and this wall just a bad dream.

Unfortunately, no such luck.

Edited by Foxes with Sprit
  • Like 3

Here we go again kick the guy even before he’s through the door, call yourself fans never happy about anything that happens at the club weather it be tickets, food, signings, rearranged games even the fcuking weather gets some of you going . Potter was never going to come holding out for the England job and the way there playing he’s half way there. He didn’t want to try and save us from going down so why should we take him now. I’ll give Cooper my full support win or loose he’ll be better than some we’ve had.

Edited by Always Next Year
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

Cooper is held in the same regard at Forest as Pearson is for Leicester.... mainly because he got them to where they were, from the doldrums into the premier league....  Potter didn't do that for Brighton, albeit he helped to establish them there. 

Pearson has not had huge amounts of managerial success after Leicester, yet a proportion of our fans would welcome him back with open arms at every opportunity.... It doesn't necessarily mean that he would achieve the same things.  I suspect the same could be said for Cooper... we just don't know how he is going to do in his next role. 

Obviously, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, I hope that he manages to keep us up and start to build the squad into one which resembles a premier league outfit again, but time will tell... 

I've said previously, I'd have much preferred Moyes who has a track record of this over a 20 year period... but who knows... maybe cooper is the next moyes...  :S none of us REALLY know the answer to that! 

Pearson didn’t do well anywhere else because he was only as good as the team around him. It wasn’t Pearson alone who made us a success it was the whole team. Cooper I only 44 so he’s really young in terms of management, but he is already experienced. He’s done something different at both Swansea and Forest, and had a degree of fortune with it. There’s no denying that the job he did at Forest was brilliant, and it wasn’t just because of promotion, he did it in a lot less time than Pearson and managed to keep Forest in the PL despite them being largely a disorganised mess. 

Moyes would never have been a good choice, I think he’s done, his last season at West Ham was rancid his football is largely horrible to watch and he is not what the club want in terms of direction. I’d have Cooper over Moyes every time, his last dance was the European trophy, I don’t think he will get another decent job in football again. 

Cooper needs to be assessed with what he does here, his open letter was eloquent and considered, and he comes across as a guy who has a plan. What gives me hope is his willingness to use youth players, and it’s clear that he likes his scouts to find young talent across the globe. He strikes me as the type of guy that if he has the tools to do his job, he will be successful. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Always Next Year said:

Here we go again kick the guy even before he’s through the door, call yourself fans never happy about anything that happens at the club weather it be tickets, food, signings, rearranged games even the fcuking weather gets some of you going . Potter was never going to come holding out for the England job and the way there playing he’s half way there. He didn’t want to try and save us from going down so why should we take him now. I’ll give Copper my full support win or loose he’ll be better than some we’ve had.

51lgjgMkBeL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

According to The Athletic, Potter wanted to bring in his backroom team that went with him to Chelsea, which would have offset some of the compensation received for Enzo.

so we just straight up cheaped out then. Bodes well for the summer given the squad building needed...

1 hour ago, Greg2607 said:

Moyes is done. Maybe he goes back into management if Clarke gets the boot from Scotland after this euros, but club management no chance.

Just now, The Doctor said:

so we just straight up cheaped out then. Bodes well for the summer given the squad building needed...

Disagree. The manager asap, especially as a backroom team needed building/negotiating for.

Squad building cost go into the next period of financial reckoning, so they are not related.

WYS podcast and BBC local news reporting that Cooper ABSOLUTELY WASN’T third choice.

Despite enquiring after Corberan and not wanting to pay £4m compo, and Potter pulling out of contract talks as late as Wednesday.

The club apparently saying the situation was “fluid.” 

Again, DEFINITELY NOT third choice. Fluid.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Always Next Year said:

Here we go again kick the guy even before he’s through the door, call yourself fans never happy about anything that happens at the club weather it be tickets, food, signings, rearranged games even the fcuking weather gets some of you going . Potter was never going to come holding out for the England job and the way there playing he’s half way there. He didn’t want to try and save us from going down so why should we take him now. I’ll give Copper my full support win or loose he’ll be better than some we’ve had.

Not sure that Potter will get the England job (or any job) given the baggage he carries with him.