Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Steve Cooper - New Manager

10 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

It’s good to see the tide turn to be more positive over the past 24 hours or so.

I understand why people were underwhelmed even if I didn’t agree with that viewpoint but it does seem people are starting to hear more about Cooper and realise that he can bring a lot of strengths to the role.

To be fair, I don’t think it’s fair to expect him to keep us up. Top and co have done such a good job of f***ing everything up that if we go down it is on them and not Cooper and his squad. 

But if he does pull it off, it is 100% down to him and his squad and zero credit should be assigned to Top and co. 

Basically if it goes wrong it is on Top but if things go well it is nothing to do with him and I don't mind saying it.

Those last two paragraphs sum up the state of this forum! 

11 minutes ago, CrazyKopCorner said:

I'm coming round quite sharpish based on 

* He seems really up for the job - Unlike TCR - and he's giving off a lot of enthusiasm and energy 

* He really is in to youth development and I think he may have come in at a very good time for some of the younger players coming through  

* I get the impression that he's going to be pragmatic which would be a refreshing change 

* I'm struggling not to really like the bloke 

I'm definitely going to give him a big go and it'd be great to have a good natured chant for him for the 1st game 

Stevie Cooper is a blue.......He hates Forest!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Viva said:

Those last two paragraphs sum up the state of this forum! 

Why? I’m behind Cooper from when he was announced and the players. But Top has become a stain on the club and he’s done too much damage to get any credit from me.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Molson Canadian said:

I agree.   Seems nice and the type you would want to have a few cans of carling black label with on a friday evening. 

I mean....I wasn't too keen on the appointment but why would you want to do this to the poor bloke

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

For those of you like me struggling to find the interview you need to download the LCFC app and it's on there you don't need to login or sign up to anything.

God knows why the media department decided to hide a bloody good interview that could start to change peoples minds on a app but whatever.

Screenshot_20240622-091315.png

Something must've changed then because I watched it on LCFC.COM before I had the Android app on my phone.

6 minutes ago, cropstonfox said:

Stevie Cooper is a blue.......He hates Forest!!

I don't think he'd like that tbh. 

Anyone else remember being at the City Ground when MON was our manager and the A Block singing Martin thinks you're shit at us. 

And O'Neill turned around and went No! And made a dismissive gesture to shut them up. 

I fell in love with him a little bit more that afternoon. 

• Like 3

The problem with this appointment is that it doesn't seem to tie in with any long-term vision.

We could survive under Cooper if the points deduction isn't too heavy and we don't have to sell everyone, but what comes next? I have the fear that his ceiling might be getting to between 14th and 17th, playing less than attractive football, and that would get old pretty quickly for fans and the board alike. I can't imagine 'trust the process' going down well as a line when we're playing like Forest did under him in a 3-0 defeat at Bournemouth. 

There might, however, be the argument that Forest were such a circus in their first season back in the Premier League that basically nobody could have done much better. We might also argue that NES didn't improve them much if at all, with them earning fewer points and finishing lower in the table in their second season than in their first - even taking into account their four point deduction. We may even consider their season under him in the Championship where they pulled similar numbers to us after an atrocious start under Hughton.

However, it's difficult to escape the supposition that he's a very good Championship and youth team manager who's out of his depth in anything more than a relegation battle in the Premier League. If we're going to rebuild the club to anything approaching what it once was, I just don't think he's the man.

• Like 1

Comes accross well in the interview and really wanted the job - good luck to him.

Interesting that he says he was speaking to us for weeks and a bit longer - could it be we were waiting for him to say yes?

I would imagine he was in for the Brighton job as well.

5 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

Why? I’m behind Cooper from when he was announced and the players. But Top has become a stain on the club and he’s done too much damage to get any credit from me.

Looking back over the last ten years, there has probably only been one season where we have underperformed on what would have been expected of us. There are three or four that were par and the rest have been a massive overachievement. 
Yet people like you don’t want to give any credit for the good times and still can’t get the last season of Brendan Rodgers out of your head. 
We get promoted, win the league and it’s still all negative talk 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Viva said:

Looking back over the last ten years, there has probably only been one season where we have underperformed on what would have been expected of us. There are three or four that were par and the rest have been a massive overachievement. 
Yet people like you don’t want to give any credit for the good times and still can’t get the last season of Brendan Rodgers out of your head. 
We get promoted, win the league and it’s still all negative talk 

Are you actually kidding or for real? It’s about the sheer mismanagement off the pitch and contempt and treatment of the fans. Not a linear and basic measure purely based off what has happened on the pitch which appears to be all you are going off.

Anyway, it’s a thread about our new manager who I’m completely behind (I’m sure I recall your username throwing tantrums about Cooper back when announced by the way) so let’s not derail it!

• Like 2

I'm a really big fan of Cooper and always have been. I hated our football under Enzo and think the whole philosophy is flawed and fraudulent. So I won't be moaning about us not carrying it on.

I don't know why someone who's got one of the best ever championship promotions and a youth world cup was wanted less than someone like Corberan?

There's going to be so many failed managers who get numerous jobs just because they're trying to badly replicate Pep ball. Already seen Kompany get a job he shouldn't. I wonder if to some people Cooper's stock would have been higher if we'd got him straight from Swansea when he'd achieved nothing but played nice football. 

6 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

I'm a really big fan of Cooper and always have been. I hated our football under Enzo and think the whole philosophy is flawed and fraudulent. So I won't be moaning about us not carrying it on.

I don't know why someone who's got one of the best ever championship promotions and a youth world cup was wanted less than someone like Corberan?

There's going to be so many failed managers who get numerous jobs just because they're trying to badly replicate Pep ball. Already seen Kompany get a job he shouldn't. I wonder if to some people Cooper's stock would have been higher if we'd got him straight from Swansea when he'd achieved nothing but played nice football. 

Two points. Enzo got us promoted and it will be interesting to see how far Cooper can get us up the EPL and secondly let's hope the players can adapt to what will be, presumably, a new style.

1 hour ago, Bilo said:

The problem with this appointment is that it doesn't seem to tie in with any long-term vision.

We could survive under Cooper if the points deduction isn't too heavy and we don't have to sell everyone, but what comes next? I have the fear that his ceiling might be getting to between 14th and 17th, playing less than attractive football, and that would get old pretty quickly for fans and the board alike. I can't imagine 'trust the process' going down well as a line when we're playing like Forest did under him in a 3-0 defeat at Bournemouth. 

There might, however, be the argument that Forest were such a circus in their first season back in the Premier League that basically nobody could have done much better. We might also argue that NES didn't improve them much if at all, with them earning fewer points and finishing lower in the table in their second season than in their first - even taking into account their four point deduction. We may even consider their season under him in the Championship where they pulled similar numbers to us after an atrocious start under Hughton.

However, it's difficult to escape the supposition that he's a very good Championship and youth team manager who's out of his depth in anything more than a relegation battle in the Premier League. If we're going to rebuild the club to anything approaching what it once was, I just don't think he's the man.

this is exactly it for me. This appointment kind of signals that we've long since had our day - we used to be a model club on how to disrupt the greedy six, but we've become an Everton. you look at Brighton and there's a clear succession plan - the moment Potter left, they had RDZ lined up to advance that vision, and again this new bloke who has a clear line through from that. you can excuse dean smith as that was desperation but in reality our last 4 permanent managers have been building on the idea of possession football, and we've gone for a complete 180 on that to a bloke who had the worst possession stats in the division while at Forest. Whether you like the vision of playing possession football or not is immaterial, it signals that the club doesn't have a clear progression plan. 

the other side of things is that our last two managers have been outspoken in public about the mess that the board are creating. Maresca seemed absolutely pissed about Sensi and being mislead over finances, and while this forum absolutely hates Rodgers for half arsing it and continuing to draw a massive wedge, old Gucci belt was spot on about the mess of the board and the transfers. Cooper worked under an even worse board with that  mentalist Marinakis and was silent about it, and I can see that having been appealing to Rudkin and Top, because they want the genie back in the bottle and for the fans to not hold them accountable for the gross mismanagement they've undertaken in the last 3 years.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CrazyKopCorner said:

I'm coming round quite sharpish based on 

* He seems really up for the job - Unlike TCR - and he's giving off a lot of enthusiasm and energy 

* He really is in to youth development and I think he may have come in at a very good time for some of the younger players coming through  

* I get the impression that he's going to be pragmatic which would be a refreshing change 

* I'm struggling not to really like the bloke 

I'm definitely going to give him a big go and it'd be great to have a good natured chant for him for the 1st game - possibly Stevie Cooper is a Blue 

Get another ABBA song in the songbook surely

”Super Coopers blue n white army“

As a first line is just too good to pass up

4 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

this is exactly it for me. This appointment kind of signals that we've long since had our day - we used to be a model club on how to disrupt the greedy six, but we've become an Everton. you look at Brighton and there's a clear succession plan - the moment Potter left, they had RDZ lined up to advance that vision, and again this new bloke who has a clear line through from that. you can excuse dean smith as that was desperation but in reality our last 4 permanent managers have been building on the idea of possession football, and we've gone for a complete 180 on that to a bloke who had the worst possession stats in the division while at Forest. Whether you like the vision of playing possession football or not is immaterial, it signals that the club doesn't have a clear progression plan. 

the other side of things is that our last two managers have been outspoken in public about the mess that the board are creating. Maresca seemed absolutely pissed about Sensi and being mislead over finances, and while this forum absolutely hates Rodgers for half arsing it and continuing to draw a massive wedge, old Gucci belt was spot on about the mess of the board and the transfers. Cooper worked under an even worse board with that  mentalist Marinakis and was silent about it, and I can see that having been appealing to Rudkin and Top, because they want the genie back in the bottle and for the fans to not hold them accountable for the gross mismanagement they've undertaken in the last 3 years.

I think it’s been referenced multiple times that he has said he didn’t want to play a defensive/counter attacking style, but after some big defeats felt his squad lacked the prem experience so had to adapt to a more defensive nature.

That said it wouldn’t really hold much weight if the possession stats stayed the same in his second season.

I couldn’t see Forests possession stats solely under cooper for the second season?

3 minutes ago, Big_Nige said:

here is his Forest one 

“The affable Welshman has been warmly embraced into the hearts of Forest supporters everywhere, with it coming as no surprise to find that he is often loudly serenaded with his own personal chant”

“Stevie Cooper, Stevie Cooper
He hates the Leicester, he hates the Derby
Forest are magic!
Stevie Cooper, Stevie Cooper
Forest are magic!”

4 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

here is his Forest one 

“The affable Welshman has been warmly embraced into the hearts of Forest supporters everywhere, with it coming as no surprise to find that he is often loudly serenaded with his own personal chant”

“Stevie Cooper, Stevie Cooper
Forest are magic!
Stevie Cooper, Stevie Cooper
Forest are magic!”

I didn’t think Forest classed us as a rival though? So why are they singing about us 🤷‍♂️

49 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

the other side of things is that our last two managers have been outspoken in public about the mess that the board are creating.

Maresca seemed absolutely pissed about Sensi and being mislead over finances, and while this forum absolutely hates Rodgers for half arsing it and continuing to draw a massive wedge, old Gucci belt was spot on about the mess of the board and the transfers. Cooper worked under an even worse board with that  mentalist Marinakis and was silent about it, and I can see that having been appealing to Rudkin and Top, because they want the genie back in the bottle and for the fans to not hold them accountable for the gross mismanagement they've undertaken in the last 3 years.

I’d argue that not signing Sensi was probably the right decision - even if that did piss off Maresca.

The board did the important part of transfers in the pre-season, getting players in early and on structured deals.

As for Rodgers and transfers - the board strongly backed him initially - it was Rodgers failure to secure Champions League football (twice) that played a significant factor in the following P&SR mess.

It is therefore perhaps not a surprise that upon the demands of a ‘refresh’ for a squad that contained many of Rodgers own recent expensive signings doing very little ‘the board’ were not exactly responsive (and yet did try to do something in that January window)

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

I think it’s been referenced multiple times that he has said he didn’t want to play a defensive/counter attacking style, but after some big defeats felt his squad lacked the prem experience so had to adapt to a more defensive nature.

That said it wouldn’t really hold much weight if the possession stats stayed the same in his second season.

I couldn’t see Forests possession stats solely under cooper for the second season?

https://fbref.com/en/squads/e4a775cb/2023-2024/matchlogs/c9/possession/Nottingham-Forest-Match-Logs-Premier-League

only had more possession than the opposition in two games under him last season, everton and Luton at home. average possession was 37%. so basically the same as first season 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big_Nige said:

Lines 2 and 3....

We are going down

With this fkin clown

Well, it rhymes and scans.......