Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Steve Cooper - New Manager

2 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

The same administration wouldn't offer Lloyd Dyer more than a year last time we were promoted.

Not sure why they switched strategy this time, particularly given financial problems. Would say it was due to not being able to find a replacement purchase but then were apparently after Rodon so it's a mystery to me.

Suspect it was agreed with Enzo then he left.

4 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

I’d argue that not signing Sensi was probably the right decision - even if that did piss off Maresca.

The board did the important part of transfers in the pre-season, getting players in early and on structured deals.

As for Rodgers and transfers - the board strongly backed him initially - it was Rodgers failure to secure Champions League football (twice) that played a significant factor in the following P&SR mess.

It is therefore perhaps not a surprise that upon the demands of a ‘refresh’ for a squad that contained many of Rodgers own recent expensive signings doing very little ‘the board’ were not exactly responsive (and yet did try to do something in that January window)

i mean for reference I was against Rodgers when he was first linked and a big part of that was that I didn't see him as a builder or one with a good record of going into the transfer market but it doesn't change that the board did appear to mislead him and Enzo over whether funds were available.

17 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Vestergaard was one of the players of the season last year, yes we were in the championship, but that’s an incredibly poor look to cut them loose, especially as he would have been utilised to  similar degree by Enzo, who was still here when his contract was renewed I thought?

Plenty of problems at the club, not sure we need to invent extra.

his contract was renewed while Enzo was still here, but the point is that your next appointment should have been one that has a direct line from enzoball and utilize the squad being put together by Enzo. Cooper on paper is a complete 180 against that and as Bilo says, demonstrates a lack of joined up thinking 

1 minute ago, The Doctor said:

his contract was renewed while Enzo was still here, but the point is that your next appointment should have been one that has a direct line from enzoball and utilize the squad being put together by Enzo. Cooper on paper is a complete 180 against that and as Bilo says, demonstrates a lack of joined up thinking 

Understand the consternation and it seems valid to me too, but there are reports/claims that Cooper is not opposed to more possession type play. Just hope it is not a u-turn but a more flexible plan of similar.

3 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

but with such massive player turnover every season, he didn't have the time to drill in a system.

People who expect us to park the bus will be in for a surprise.

Did you see what was posted earlier, for Coopers second season. He blamed the negative style in season one down to a lack of player experience yet the average possession 39% was similar in season 2 before he got the boot. 
If he didn’t have time to drill the system in 55 games or in subsequent months after the transfer window shut what makes you think that won’t be the case with a team he has had for a month? 

5 hours ago, The Doctor said:

the last two being Morgan and Megson, or Megson and O'Neill if you want to just talk managers. 

given the start of the season is 8 weeks away, being half as good as Megson means not even making it to game one...

Sorry, I'd to forgotten Megson oops  :ph34r:

28 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

Well aware that we just got over the line. Anyone who watched ever game last season and believes it was down to Enzo's tactics needs to give their head a wobble. 

Agenda much. lol

He left, let it go fgs

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HankMarvin said:

Did you see what was posted earlier, for Coopers second season. He blamed the negative style in season one down to a lack of player experience yet the average possession 39% was similar in season 2 before he got the boot. 
If he didn’t have time to drill the system in 55 games or in subsequent months after the transfer window shut what makes you think that won’t be the case with a team he has had for a month? 

Because the team already know the system. He doesn't have to change anything if he doesn't want to.

In fact think about it, everyone knows where they need to stand and at what phase of the game, and have done it for a season. Why give them entirely new instructions to remember when they already know what to do? For all the criticism of our stlye of play last season, it worked in the Championship and it also beat Bournemouth. The system and formation can also be used whilst telling the team not to bomb forward as much, just like in the Southampton game.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Because the team already know the system. He doesn't have to change anything if he doesn't want to.

In fact think about it, everyone knows where they need to stand and at what phase of the game, and have done it for a season. Why give them entirely new instructions to remember when they already know what to do? For all the criticism of our stlye of play last season, it worked in the Championship and it also beat Bournemouth. The system and formation can also be used whilst telling the team not to bomb forward as much, just like in the Southampton game.

*Bournemouth reserves 

6 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Was no where near their reserves, they had more of their first team starting than we did

Than we did yes but defo not their prem team either 

2 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

39% possession eh,  just shy of us in 2015/16 at 42%.  As I recall, that season didn't pan out too shabby 😂

Speaking of which, I was working in the garage with Radio 2 on and they were playing the 1990 pop charts. Nessun Dorma came on as it reached No2 after being used as a theme tune during Italia 90.

Took me right back to that day in May 2016 when Bocelli belted it out on the pitch.

We've had our ups and downs since then and we've all been guilty of getting frustrated when it seems so difficult to get back to those heights again.  It does feel like somethings missing since Vichai died but just take a step back, watch that video again and be proud of our wonderful club. 

Relegation hit all of us hard but we always thrived on being the underdog.  Lets just forget all the off the pitch crap that non of us can do anything about and get the King Power rocking, no matter who's in charge.

We can do this!!

Just now, jv1 said:

Than we did yes but defo not their prem team either 

It was still their first choice back 4 and DM and players like Cook and Billing who played plenty of Prem football for them last season

Then they also brought 4 players off the bench who all started 25+ league games for them as well

Other than their goalkeeper and striker, throughout that game they used basically all of their main prem starters

9 minutes ago, niyaminski said:

If we get relegated at the end of this season, does Cooper lead the charge back to the PL the season after?

If we would have stayed up without the deduction, it'll be - from a manger's perspective - a relegation with serious caveats. He'd have a case to argue.

10 minutes ago, niyaminski said:

If we get relegated at the end of this season, does Cooper lead the charge back to the PL the season after?

Probably depends on how we do (and if he is still in charge at the end of the season)

If he manages to keep us within touching distance of staying up or if without the points deduction we would've stayed up then probably

Need to see how the transfer window goes really first

What order do fans place Potter, Smith and Cooper in?

Dean Smith's Brentford and Villa career wasn't too dissimilar to Cooper at Swansea and then Forest. Smith got a much better tune out of Villa in his 2nd PL season though as they went quite far in to challenging for a top 7 place until they fell away when Grealish got injured.

His career has fallen now though and wouldn't be talked about in the same breath as Potter but why? Brighton weren't any better under him than Villa were. Potter also didn't do a great deal in the Championship before stepping up to the PL.

Maybe we've done OK getting Cooper in, time will tell.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, niyaminski said:

I very much think it’s an appointment with the view of - relegation is a possibility, Cooper has lead a team to the prem from the championship before. A team that was bottom of the league half way through the season when he took over. 

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

What order do fans place Potter, Smith and Cooper in?

Dean Smith's Brentford and Villa career wasn't too dissimilar to Cooper at Swansea and then Forest. Smith got a much better tune out of Villa in his 2nd PL season though as they went quite far in to challenging for a top 7 place until they fell away when Grealish got injured.

His career has fallen now though and wouldn't be talked about in the same breath as Potter but why? Brighton weren't any better under him than Villa were. Potter also didn't do a great deal in the Championship before stepping up to the PL.

Maybe we've done OK getting Cooper in, time will tell.

That's the thing, only time will tell. We can speculate either way, but we won't know until this time next year. No one predicted what happened after Ranieri was appointed. 

We have so much stacked against us, so we are already on the back foot. I've had my reservations about him coming and wasn't keen, but I'm so hoping this a good appointment for us, I really do. I want him to succeed and for me to proven utterly wrong. 

• Like 1

It would be nice if we went back to the proper club structure like under Pearson, proper focus on set pieces, fitness, sports sciences, psychological performance, analysis, all things which can give you a slight edge as a weaker team. 

Focus on finding hidden gems, rough diamonds and develop them into a team with moral and fight.

The first season we were promoted last time, there weren't too many games where we completely outclassed, they were very fine margins. 

• Like 4