Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Steve Cooper - New Manager

Just listened to his post match interview. I think Steve knows just how desperate situation this is now & how badly we need to strengthen. I feel for him to be honest. Lens are no mugs and we just got outplayed all over the pitch. I don't really care about pre-season but we need to see a huge step up in our intensity. That team today looked lost, no game plan, no idea, nothing. If we do get relegated I at least expect some ****ing pride in our performances - similar to Luton last season. At least they had a ****ing go with what they had. 

• Like 2

Turns out Enzo wasn't so bad huh? 

And by that, I mean we had recognisable patterns of play, attacking transitions and even a set piece threat. The Lens game was scary for the fact that we didn't have any of those things. 

• Like 3

This is what happens when you just go for the cheapest, easiest hire, as opposed to putting any thought or effort into what's best for the club.

That and he has our worst squad in a decade.

If you have idiots making decisions, don't be surprised when those decisions are crap.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chapero82 said:

please get some help

That's a bit inappropriate and unnecessary.

Am still standing by my prediction, without the such sour judgement.

Edited by Wymsey
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

I get the lack of recruitment but Cooper could at least play his better players in their favoured positions. He had better players on the bench than in his starting 11. Mavididi is better at LW than Reid. Ricardo is our best full back but it also better playing next to Winks than Hamza. Verstergaard is our best footballing centre back, Alves was the best creative number 8 available today. Golding didn’t even travel. He picks a weaker starting 11 and then gives them no structure to play. 

He said players were playing out of position just to get them minutes. So id take that as players like Hamza will be involved while the bit part players like Alves and Cannon will be loaned out. Assuming 3 or 4 attacking players will be coming in

4 minutes ago, South Shire Fox said:

He said players were playing out of position just to get them minutes. So id take that as players like Hamza will be involved while the bit part players like Alves and Cannon will be loaned out. Assuming 3 or 4 attacking players will be coming in

Why did he bench Ricardo, Mavididi and Verstergaard and play less able players in their roles instead then? 

• Like 2

It’s hard not to feel massively sorry for Cooper. Can hear the frustration in his voice, he knows we are nowhere close to having the squad to survive. Those above him are incompetent and that is nothing new to us. We are thoroughly unprepared for the season ahead. We need at least 4 first team quality players in key positions to stand any chance and that simply isn’t going to happen. We are missing 30-40+ goals from the squad as it stands, no chance we bring enough quality in given who is responsible for doing that, imo. That is if we even could afford to, which we can’t, because those above Cooper have been irresponsible and incompetent for years. 

If we bring in one player who is notably better than everyone else in our squad I’ll be astounded. 

I maintain it doesn’t matter who the manager is this season. Build for the championship, we are down regardless. Enzo would be in exactly the same position, playing a brand of football very likely to lead to relegation regardless (see: Kompany).

Edited by FoxesWalk
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

We completed well for 120 minutes,  we can't know how that extrapolated over 38 games. 

But we had Enzo out threads left, right and centre all the way up to basically the Southampton game

we did, but let's be honest, that was people panicking about the slump and a few yer da types who think 4-4-2 is still the pinnacle of tactics. Having come up and having seen that we can at least compete with prem teams, things didn't need significant change, instead we've got this nonsense 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foxfanazer said:

It's a relegation season. The sooner you all come to terms with it the less stressed you'll be. Set up for failure 

People directing their frustration at Cooper, when he is probably the part of the club least to blame for the current predicament, are yet to (or are unable to) accept this. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

People directing their frustration at Cooper, when he is probably the part of the club least to blame for the current predicament, are yet to (or are unable to) accept this. 

I was against the Cooper appointment but now he's here he's absolutely the least to blame as you say and he should get the full season regardless of the shite we serve up. Until the decision makers at the club are held accountable nothing will change 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, South Shire Fox said:

Dont think he rates Vestergaard at all. No idea about the others

Vestergaard is our best footballing centre half. If we want to play out from the back (he was attempting to do that today against Lens) then he needs to play as the others can’t do it to the same extent. I would’ve expected Okoli to have been signed as a faster version but it’s been clear in his first few games that he’s not a ball playing centre back. I’m not sure why he was signed tbh. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Not sure if you really want to listen to this or not :whistle:

He does say "I won't sugar coat it, this was a poor performance."

But also thinks that some things we did defensively were OK...

I do find his interviews refreshing, he's always very honest and open. I will give him that..but....

He already looks like he has no idea how he's going to turn this around unless we bring in alot of players.

Hes shown his tactical inability and you can just see in his body language he's lost. I am still routing for him as everyone should, we need to have some hope he turns it around as he isn't going to get the sack any time soon, but I think we've all been around football long enough to know how this plays out.

Edited by Iwebema
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

I was against the Cooper appointment but now he's here he's absolutely the least to blame as you say and he should get the full season regardless of the shite we serve up. Until the decision makers at the club are held accountable nothing will change 

Cooper has to take a lot of blame for that performance today. No obvious press, no clear tactics on or off the ball. Minimal effort at times, endless hoof ball. Better players benched. That was all on him. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Same, I wanted Corberan (who clearly we didn’t want to/couldnt pay the release fee for). Whoever was appointed should be staying to get us out of the championship under an embargo. That is where we are going to be in 1 year. Cooper is in, and he isn’t going anywhere unless he somehow signed a deal that says we can sack him for free, so better off giving him the benefit of the doubt in a situation virtually no manager would make a success of. 

I don’t see us having sustained period in the Prem again until the club is sold and the board is replaced. 

Absolutely share Cooper’s frustrations - the comment about not knowing if more players are joining us wild, how can the board not keep him more informed - but I don’t understand why he didn’t play two of our very best press-resistant players in Vestergaard and Ricardo when trying to play out from the back.

It’s clear to see Winks wants Ricardo alongside him, it’s not working with Ndidi. And we utterly lack creativity. 

If you play out from the back, go with a similar set up to the previous system. If you want to change it, then change it so you are playing to the the picked team’s strengths. At the moment, we’re getting the worst of both worlds. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3