Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Steve Cooper - New Manager

He has inherited players that are not Premier League quality ( Choudhury, Soumare, Daka etc ) but the club is slow to bring in players & even slower to ship players out. I am confident Cooper can do the job if Rudkin can bring in players & get rid of the ones who are not good enough.

I assume we are stuck with Daka now that he's injured.

2 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

He has inherited players that are not Premier League quality ( Choudhury, Soumare, Daka etc ) but the club is slow to bring in players & even slower to ship players out. I am confident Cooper can do the job if Rudkin can bring in players & get rid of the ones who are not good enough.

I assume we are stuck with Daka now that he's injured.

I don’t get how we can have the best team in the championship to players that are not prem quality don’t make sense 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

I don’t get how we can have the best team in the championship to players that are not prem quality don’t make sense 

As we saw last season with all three promoted clubs getting relegated, the gap between the Premier & the Championship is huge. Players who look great in the Champ can't cut  it in the Prem. We are desperate for attacking mids & with strikers like Daka & Cannon & past his prime Vardy,  Cooper needs an influx of talent.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pliskin said:

There’s a lot going around in here at the moment. 

I don’t think things have ever been this bad pre season, not even under Peter Taylor (naturally you didn’t have the social media aspect then).

There are a number of things we need to consider as to why things are looking this bad, but we have to start with Cooper. 

His statement about the style of play was that he was not planning on reinventing the wheel and was sticking with Enzo’s philosophy, but tweaking it. 

I want to bring up is it Dom Wells? He stated that in his research of Cooper indicated that he tends to initially struggle to strike a balance in the team, and this unfortunately is showing. 

But, his decision with some of the starting players is shocking…..I don’t understand why the likes of Hamza are getting game time! Unless cooper is wanting to be totally sure about some players before he commits to playing them, but that starting line up yesterday was hideous. 

The first issue is defensively, we look all over the place, suspect at set plays, getting caught on the ball quite regularly when trying to play out and positionally all over the place. Okoli is looking extremely suspect at the moment and leaving out Ricardo is a very poor idea…. Ben Nelson may as well play because none of the other CB could do much better at the moment…. 

There’s a definite issue in the attacking department, but I’m not having that it’s THAT bad…. Mavadidi and Fatawu are quality players, and both look completely miles off at the moment, we just need a decent 10 to bring that part of the attack together, and then a new striker and it shouldn’t be that bad….

Why Alves hasn’t been given a chance is beyond me….. we’ve gone out and loaned a young player off someone else’s when we could have given Alves a chance….

There’s been an alarming amount of excuses coming from Cooper, it’s no different from when Rodgers started tossing the job off playing down the foundations for his exit. But I wonder if Cooper has come in and just isn’t happy with the profile of some of the players he has……. I get he wants new players and he is probably trying to push the board in to making those deals happen, but it can’t be good for the other players to hear. 

There’s no doubt that Enzo has properly left us in the poo, him leaving I think has hit the players fairly hard because they look so disinterested at the moment, and that’s worrying. I’m not having that this squad isn’t good enough, it is. This team is better than the Forest team Cooper kept up, it just lacks a little bit of central creativity…… but with the lad from Brighton, potentially Zaha and a new striker that should be resolved. The rest of the team isn’t bad, with good coaching they can be good enough to keep us up…. For some reason, we’re not seeing this at all, and what is worrying is I don’t care what anyone says, Enzo managed to get them playing in his style almost immediately, and it can’t be denied that what we’re seeing now is extremely concerning that there’s such a disjointed team when they were so quick to adapt last pre season, and allegedly Cooper isn’t changing much in terms of style……

So in short, I’m not having this argument that Cooper has a lot of work to do, he doesn’t and he have even admitted that he isn’t changed much, so what else is wrong? Because it’s clear something is….. 

Perhaps it will click into place against Spurs but I’m not convinced…… so for me, I don’t blame the board for this…. I think it’s frankly bizarre that people are blaming them….. some almost speaking as if Coopers been coerced into taking a job he didn’t really want…….. he wanted the job, and he’s inherited a championship winning side, that’s largely the same with one key loss and it looks like they’ve never played together before. 

He does need time, but my patience will run out very quickly if this is all he can serve up. There have been question marks over him in the past, but I’m getting the impression he’s stuck between two ideas at the moment and doesn’t know which way he wants to go. He needs to this week go back to basics, and rather than do a Rodgers, think about how to get the best out of the team…….. 

The Forest team had, Brennan Johnson, Morgan Gibbs-White and Taiwo Awonyi in key attacking positions and didn't receive an 8-10 pts deduction either.

Until we get superior players we stand no chance of staying up, especially with -8pts.

They scored 23 PL goals between them,  I don't believe Daka, Vardy, Mavididi and Buonanotte will get anywhere near that number.

Edited by trooky

6 hours ago, kingfox said:

Those couple of key words though “With a couple of additions”. 

My belief in finishing 17th or higher would increase a few levels if a couple of additions were made. 

But purely speaking off the basis of how our squad looks now, do people genuinely think it’s good enough to finish 17th or higher, because personally I don’t see it. 

Only players I think are really equipped for this league are Hermansen, Ricardo, Winks and Vardy(Even though he only scored 3 goals the last time we were in the Premier League)

People can bang on about having the likes of Justin and Ndidi, but they are not the same players they once were. The defence especially still worries me. We still have Choudhury and Soumare as depth options. The jury is out on what Mavididi and Fatawu can do at this level, while we still have Daka and Cannon as striker options. 

So much is still needed for us to be competitive in this league imo, we as fans have known that for weeks, but even though Cooper has frustrated the fvck out of me in Pre Season, he is only saying what we the fans have been saying.

Sorry for the mini rant, but I bloody needed it lol 

I think without the additions it might not be good enough to stay up but should be good enough to be at least competitive if managed correctly as shown last season.  

However Cooper seems to have us in complete disarray showing no plan and his interview showed a panicked man with no idea how to change it.

He keeps saying he is having to play players out of position but we didn't have to last season and we are only 1 player different so he dosent have to it's a choice and a bad one

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, lcfcbluearmy said:

I think without the additions it might not be good enough to stay up but should be good enough to be at least competitive if managed correctly as shown last season.  

However Cooper seems to have us in complete disarray showing no plan and his interview showed a panicked man with no idea how to change it.

He keeps saying he is having to play players out of position but we didn't have to last season and we are only 1 player different so he dosent have to it's a choice and a bad one

Regardless of tactics I just don’t see this current squad being good enough to be competitive. I’ve seen numerous comments saying our squad is of decent calibre, then they instantly back up that claim about what we need in the transfer market lol 

You pick the bones out of our squad, especially the defence, I really don’t see how it can be competitive in the Premier League. Faes had too many brain farts the last time we were in the Premier League. I’m not overly convinced with Vestergaard, especially when he’ll come up against pace. Coady wasn’t wanted by Wolves or Everton and wasn’t really fancied by Maresca in the Championship. Okoli, early days, but early signs are not convincing. Then you’ve got our left-backs who have been deemed by many as not good enough, myself included. Ricardo is the only defender I have full trust in. 

Then as I mentioned in my previous post, Choudhury and Soumare as our depth options in CM. Daka and Cannon as our depth options in ST. 

Clearly not good enough if you want to be competitive in the Premier League, to have depth like that just reeks of relegation. 

Cooper’s tactics in Pre Season have been frustrating, some of his selections have been head scratching, but regardless of all of that, he is only telling the truth about needing new players. 

So many fans on this forum have been saying exactly that for weeks, but as soon as Cooper says it, he is suddenly deemed an excuse merchant. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sbfox said:

I actually think we'll shithouse a win against the Spuds. That's football isn't it? 

Spuds will thrash us, but we're not expected to finisher higher than them, so it's another pre season look see to me. Most all Championship teams take a while to get going so strap yourselves in for a slow and painful start.

1 hour ago, gurru991 said:

As we saw last season with all three promoted clubs getting relegated, the gap between the Premier & the Championship is huge. Players who look great in the Champ can't cut  it in the Prem. We are desperate for attacking mids & with strikers like Daka & Cannon & past his prime Vardy,  Cooper needs an influx of talent.

We could play the same team as we did in the champ baring KDH and the left back .. we should have added in those positions first that team would be able to compete but he has changed too much 

and of course any more additions that will bloster the team 

Edited by whoareyaaa
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

We could play the same team as we did in the champ baring KDH and the left back .. we should have added in those positions first that team would be able to compete but he has changed too much 

and of course any more additions that will bloster the team 

We don't know & possibly will never know who are Coopers picks & who are Rudkins. !! 

I'm sure that Cooper would know he needs attacking mids & strikers.

Bloster = To Confuse & Distract.

2 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

We don't know & possibly will never know who are Coopers picks & who are Rudkins. !! 

I'm sure that Cooper would know he needs attacking mids & strikers.

Bloster = To Confuse & Distract.

I’m pretty sure Cooper picks the team 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

cooper went public with his frustrations on incomings yesterday 

he must have known that we were in negs re zaha and ionnides.  So why the public frustration?   Can only assume that he’s seen us close to several incomings that haven’t worked out and he decided to make a point to the board that he needs completions.  That must mean that he believes that some of the failures were down to us. 

I think he is that incompetent that he doesn’t believe any blame is down to him. 

8 hours ago, Pliskin said:

There’s a lot going around in here at the moment. 

I don’t think things have ever been this bad pre season, not even under Peter Taylor (naturally you didn’t have the social media aspect then).

There are a number of things we need to consider as to why things are looking this bad, but we have to start with Cooper. 

His statement about the style of play was that he was not planning on reinventing the wheel and was sticking with Enzo’s philosophy, but tweaking it. 

I want to bring up is it Dom Wells? He stated that in his research of Cooper indicated that he tends to initially struggle to strike a balance in the team, and this unfortunately is showing. 

But, his decision with some of the starting players is shocking…..I don’t understand why the likes of Hamza are getting game time! Unless cooper is wanting to be totally sure about some players before he commits to playing them, but that starting line up yesterday was hideous. 

The first issue is defensively, we look all over the place, suspect at set plays, getting caught on the ball quite regularly when trying to play out and positionally all over the place. Okoli is looking extremely suspect at the moment and leaving out Ricardo is a very poor idea…. Ben Nelson may as well play because none of the other CB could do much better at the moment…. 

There’s a definite issue in the attacking department, but I’m not having that it’s THAT bad…. Mavadidi and Fatawu are quality players, and both look completely miles off at the moment, we just need a decent 10 to bring that part of the attack together, and then a new striker and it shouldn’t be that bad….

Why Alves hasn’t been given a chance is beyond me….. we’ve gone out and loaned a young player off someone else’s when we could have given Alves a chance….

There’s been an alarming amount of excuses coming from Cooper, it’s no different from when Rodgers started tossing the job off playing down the foundations for his exit. But I wonder if Cooper has come in and just isn’t happy with the profile of some of the players he has……. I get he wants new players and he is probably trying to push the board in to making those deals happen, but it can’t be good for the other players to hear. 

There’s no doubt that Enzo has properly left us in the poo, him leaving I think has hit the players fairly hard because they look so disinterested at the moment, and that’s worrying. I’m not having that this squad isn’t good enough, it is. This team is better than the Forest team Cooper kept up, it just lacks a little bit of central creativity…… but with the lad from Brighton, potentially Zaha and a new striker that should be resolved. The rest of the team isn’t bad, with good coaching they can be good enough to keep us up…. For some reason, we’re not seeing this at all, and what is worrying is I don’t care what anyone says, Enzo managed to get them playing in his style almost immediately, and it can’t be denied that what we’re seeing now is extremely concerning that there’s such a disjointed team when they were so quick to adapt last pre season, and allegedly Cooper isn’t changing much in terms of style……

So in short, I’m not having this argument that Cooper has a lot of work to do, he doesn’t and he have even admitted that he isn’t changed much, so what else is wrong? Because it’s clear something is….. 

Perhaps it will click into place against Spurs but I’m not convinced…… so for me, I don’t blame the board for this…. I think it’s frankly bizarre that people are blaming them….. some almost speaking as if Coopers been coerced into taking a job he didn’t really want…….. he wanted the job, and he’s inherited a championship winning side, that’s largely the same with one key loss and it looks like they’ve never played together before. 

He does need time, but my patience will run out very quickly if this is all he can serve up. There have been question marks over him in the past, but I’m getting the impression he’s stuck between two ideas at the moment and doesn’t know which way he wants to go. He needs to this week go back to basics, and rather than do a Rodgers, think about how to get the best out of the team…….. 

Almost completely agree except the board deserves some blame for appointing Cooper in the first place not sure a competent board would have done that but other than that your post sums up my opinion well

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingfox said:

Regardless of tactics I just don’t see this current squad being good enough to be competitive. I’ve seen numerous comments saying our squad is of decent calibre, then they instantly back up that claim about what we need in the transfer market lol 

You pick the bones out of our squad, especially the defence, I really don’t see how it can be competitive in the Premier League. Faes had too many brain farts the last time we were in the Premier League. I’m not overly convinced with Vestergaard, especially when he’ll come up against pace. Coady wasn’t wanted by Wolves or Everton and wasn’t really fancied by Maresca in the Championship. Okoli, early days, but early signs are not convincing. Then you’ve got our left-backs who have been deemed by many as not good enough, myself included. Ricardo is the only defender I have full trust in. 

Then as I mentioned in my previous post, Choudhury and Soumare as our depth options in CM. Daka and Cannon as our depth options in ST. 

Clearly not good enough if you want to be competitive in the Premier League, to have depth like that just reeks of relegation. 

Cooper’s tactics in Pre Season have been frustrating, some of his selections have been head scratching, but regardless of all of that, he is only telling the truth about needing new players. 

So many fans on this forum have been saying exactly that for weeks, but as soon as Cooper says it, he is suddenly deemed an excuse merchant. 

Many have I haven't I believe we have the squad to be competitive, Yes we lack depth and injuries would cause big problems but as a first 11, a striker and a replacement for KDH and I think we would be set for solid mid table if managed properly.

Even without those addition the squad or at least first 11 is good enough to compete if managed properly

Players like Vestergaard who shoe how goof they are when they play at international level (had a good euros) perfectly capable at prem level when he has decent support around him

Cooper just dosent have a clue what he is doing

16 minutes ago, lcfcbluearmy said:

Almost completely agree except the board deserves some blame for appointing Cooper in the first place not sure a competent board would have done that but other than that your post sums up my opinion well

I agree to some extent. But in fairness it was going to be Potter and for whatever reason it didn’t materialise, so he was the back up choice I imagine. And so far, it looks like it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gurru991 said:

The season before last all three promoted teams stayed up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

cooper went public with his frustrations on incomings yesterday 

he must have known that we were in negs re zaha and ionnides.  So why the public frustration?   Can only assume that he’s seen us close to several incomings that haven’t worked out and he decided to make a point to the board that he needs completions.  That must mean that he believes that some of the failures were down to us. 

Also said that the players were asking 

“I don’t think it would be right to put a number on it, but it’s certainly more than a couple. The players want that as well. It gives everybody a boost.

“They’re asking. They know. Some of them have played in both leagues and they know the difference. That’s what the desire is. Let’s hope we can make that a reality.”

16 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Also said that the players were asking 

“I don’t think it would be right to put a number on it, but it’s certainly more than a couple. The players want that as well. It gives everybody a boost.

“They’re asking. They know. Some of them have played in both leagues and they know the difference. That’s what the desire is. Let’s hope we can make that a reality.”

You know it's bad if the players are asking when the new signings are arriving. 

That means they know that certain individuals in the starting 11 are not up to it.