Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Steve Cooper - New Manager

I feel as though we lack the quality to play through teams, and we don't have a clear, set organised plan to sit deep and counter or to high press.

We might, might, stand a chance with a deep block and some rapid counters. If you look at our front players now, there's some serious pace available. We would need to grind out some results, but shithousery is still in our DNA.

I get the feeling that cooper has been trying to operate to the plan of playing possession ball, which the owners want, but he lacks the players in midfield to do that. Enzo did it without a 10, and cooper wants to try it with a 10, but doesn't have one in the squad. It's all a bit muddled.

I can see us going a few games into the season trying to play Enzo ball without enough quality to break teams down. Then changing to a deep block fast counter style when it fails.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ealingfox said:

The season before last all three promoted teams stayed up.

Yes .. You are right !!

Quite an amazing season when three larger clubs ... two of them established got relegated.

I stand by my opinion that the gulf between the two leagues is massive though & view that season as an aberration.

Has a ring of Brendan to him but he must have known what he was in for when he agreed to take over. I don't like him coming up and saying publicly we're short of quality, as it might deflate the squad. Keep that sort of stuff in house!! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ts_1010 said:

I feel as though we lack the quality to play through teams, and we don't have a clear, set organised plan to sit deep and counter or to high press.

We might, might, stand a chance with a deep block and some rapid counters. If you look at our front players now, there's some serious pace available. We would need to grind out some results, but shithousery is still in our DNA.

I get the feeling that cooper has been trying to operate to the plan of playing possession ball, which the owners want, but he lacks the players in midfield to do that. Enzo did it without a 10, and cooper wants to try it with a 10, but doesn't have one in the squad. It's all a bit muddled.

I can see us going a few games into the season trying to play Enzo ball without enough quality to break teams down. Then changing to a deep block fast counter style when it fails.

Can’t wait to watch Cooper employ deep block football. It’s going to make even the most vociferous former manager detractors yearn for some Enzo-ball.

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, shailen said:

Has a ring of Brendan to him but he must have known what he was in for when he agreed to take over. I don't like him coming up and saying publicly we're short of quality, as it might deflate the squad. Keep that sort of stuff in house!! 

You must have missed the part where he said that the players are also asking when there'll be new signings.

• Like 3

I mean it's hard for anyone to deny we are short on quality. We sold our most creative midfielder to comple with tge stupid FFP rules. So far we haven't brought anyone in I'd consider creative, we also have an issue scoring goals. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, funkyrobot said:

Can’t wait to watch Cooper employ deep block football. It’s going to make even the most vociferous former manager detractors yearn for some Enzo-ball.

I don't want to see a low block particularly. But with the squad we have, I could see it working better than the Enzo style slow build up.

As much as I want to see good football. We need to stay up, whatever the cost. We had a great escape with the low block, and we won a title doing just that most of the time.

It up to cooper at the end of the day. He's got to find a way with the whatever squad he ends up with. 

With Vardy Daka Fatawu Mavididi and even BDR, we probably have one of the fastest attacks in the league. A good number 10 or maybe a deep lying playmaker could make great use of those runners.

8 hours ago, ts_1010 said:

I don't want to see a low block particularly. But with the squad we have, I could see it working better than the Enzo style slow build up.

As much as I want to see good football. We need to stay up, whatever the cost. We had a great escape with the low block, and we won a title doing just that most of the time.

It up to cooper at the end of the day. He's got to find a way with the whatever squad he ends up with. 

With Vardy Daka Fatawu Mavididi and even BDR, we probably have one of the fastest attacks in the league. A good number 10 or maybe a deep lying playmaker could make great use of those runners.

We didn’t play a low block during the great escape and whilst we relinquished control of the ball during the prem league win we didn’t deploy a traditional low block. We often left 3 attackers on the halfway line during opponents corners and there were always 2 strikers higher read to counter. 

I don’t share your views on our pacey attack, Mavididi isn’t particularly fast & nor is BDCR. Vardy has lost a couple of yards. I’ve not seen this amazing pace in Daka despite frequent chat about this mythical speed. Fatawu is pretty rapid tbf as is K-Mac. 

10 hours ago, shailen said:

The players would have every right to come out and say that to him too. He's hardly Mr Pedigree, who does he think he is coming out with that at this stage? He knew what the job was, what he'd got player wise, he took it. Stop whining and get on with it. 

Who knows who the club have really tried to get? They can't buy who someone refuses to sell or who doesn't want to come for a variety of reasons including our prospects this year due to the looming points deduction.  They did know however that a priority was a KDH replacement and a striker however admittedly we didn't need 15m blowing on yet another centre half, Reid is just a squad player and Golding not ready. Buonanotte is an interesting prospect in fairness. 

Had we not sold KDH, avoiding relegation would still have been incredibly difficult along with Southampton and Ipswich but achievable without a points deduction.

However, there's nothing I've seen so far to suggest Cooper has the nous to organise a system to bring out the strengths of the players he actually has, playing them in their best positions or roles would be a good start. To whine about quality this early is worrying and wreaks of getting your excuses in early. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

The players would have every right to come out and say that to him too. He's hardly Mr Pedigree, who does he think he is coming out with that at this stage? He knew what the job was, what he'd got player wise, he took it. Stop whining and get on with it. 

Who knows who the club have really tried to get? They can't buy who someone refuses to sell or who doesn't want to come for a variety of reasons including our prospects this year due to the looming points deduction.  They did know however that a priority was a KDH replacement and a striker however admittedly we didn't need 15m blowing on yet another centre half, Reid is just a squad player and Golding not ready. Buonanotte is an interesting prospect in fairness. 

Had we not sold KDH, avoiding relegation would still have been incredibly difficult along with Southampton and Ipswich but achievable without a points deduction.

However, there's nothing I've seen so far to suggest Cooper has the nous to organise a system to bring out the strengths of the players he actually has, playing them in their best positions or roles would be a good start. To whine about quality this early is worrying and wreaks of getting your excuses in early. 

Cooper gas every right to be annoyed like us fans, we sold KDH end of June and a week before the season starts we only just have a replacement for him having missed all pre-season games 

We were short in midfield last year playing Ndidi as an 8, Praet and Agun also left and haven't been replaced either. 

Recruitment has been an absolute disaster, a week before the season our only fit striker is Cannon, a player neither Enzo or Cooper rates.

Rudkin has to be sacked, he appoints a manager no one wants, then he can't recruit him the players we desperately need.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, trooky said:

Cooper gas every right to be annoyed like us fans, we sold KDH end of June and a week before the season starts we only just have a replacement for him having missed all pre-season games 

We were short in midfield last year playing Ndidi as an 8, Praet and Agun also left and haven't been replaced either. 

Recruitment has been an absolute disaster, a week before the season our only fit striker is Cannon, a player neither Enzo or Cooper rates.

Rudkin has to be sacked, he appoints a manager no one wants, then he can't recruit him the players we desperately need.

I don't disagree with most of that but we had to sell KDH (I know who's fault it was) but Cooper must have been blind, ill informed or stupid if he didn't know that!

Whilst I agree regarding recruitment also being a disaster, you can't force people to come and any agent or up and coming player will know that we're a basket case. Cooper would know that too, all of us on here did and so did the media. Arguably the two players we need most, striker and attacking midfielder are the hardest to recruit and decent one's in short supply. Last seasons recruitment overall was very good, not every signing can be fully successful, but, arguably, even in the Championship at the start of the season we would have looked a better more exciting prospect than we currently do to a player.

24 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

I don't disagree with most of that but we had to sell KDH (I know who's fault it was) but Cooper must have been blind, ill informed or stupid if he didn't know that!

Whilst I agree regarding recruitment also being a disaster, you can't force people to come and any agent or up and coming player will know that we're a basket case. Cooper would know that too, all of us on here did and so did the media. Arguably the two players we need most, striker and attacking midfielder are the hardest to recruit and decent one's in short supply. Last seasons recruitment overall was very good, not every signing can be fully successful, but, arguably, even in the Championship at the start of the season we would have looked a better more exciting prospect than we currently do to a player.

Yes everything you say is true, and the window is still open for 3 games until the end of August.

Most teams will be in transition during this period still finalising their squads, but we've got the points deduction looming.

I think we've missed a trick in not getting our business done early giving the manager time to work with a full squad of players.

With a full squad we could really have targeted these 3 games and give us the best chance of getting 9 points, but at present  were in disarray.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lcfcbluearmy said:

Or he could have completely made that up no one knows not like the players are going to contradict him

The players want better players that don't affect them playing... Great motivation for the players with Coopers statement there!! :o

Edited by Stormfox

17 minutes ago, trooky said:

Yes everything you say is true, and the window is still open for 3 games until the end of August.

Most teams will be in transition during this period still finalising their squads, but we've got the points deduction looming.

I think we've missed a trick in not getting our business done early giving the manager time to work with a full squad of players.

With a full squad we could really have targeted these 3 games and give us the best chance of getting 9 points, but at present  were in disarray.

That's true too but what if the long game is to keep Cooper, no matter what, get the books, fair play etc finally sorted, get relegated and then Cooper to get is promoted with a clean sheet and a bit more optimism going forward.

A lot of ifs but it's better than struggling to achieve to much this year.