Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Steve Cooper - New Manager

2 hours ago, funkyrobot said:

We didn’t play a low block during the great escape and whilst we relinquished control of the ball during the prem league win we didn’t deploy a traditional low block. We often left 3 attackers on the halfway line during opponents corners and there were always 2 strikers higher read to counter. 

I don’t share your views on our pacey attack, Mavididi isn’t particularly fast & nor is BDCR. Vardy has lost a couple of yards. I’ve not seen this amazing pace in Daka despite frequent chat about this mythical speed. Fatawu is pretty rapid tbf as is K-Mac. 

Mavididi isn't fast? I think me and you remember things very differently both about him and our old tactics. I still think we lack the quality to play Enzo ball. We would need a better midfield than we had in last year, not a worse one like we have now.

We would also need upgrades in defence to guard against a much better high press from the attacks in the Prem.

We were vulnerable at the back against wasteful championship attacks when we were countered. I worry that it would/will be much worse in the prem.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ts_1010 said:

Mavididi isn't fast?

No but doesn't always matter as Mahrez wasn't lightning but it's not helped that his dribbling technique to get past players is poor, is easy to dispossess, one that sticks in my mind is Jimmy Dunne getting the better of him every time. Don't be fooled by a few (actually more than a few) stepovers

32 minutes ago, dr.o.ball said:

That's true too but what if the long game is to keep Cooper, no matter what, get the books, fair play etc finally sorted, get relegated and then Cooper to get is promoted with a clean sheet and a bit more optimism going forward.

A lot of ifs but it's better than struggling to achieve to much this year.

Here's a radical idea, why doesn't the club communicate it's strategy to the fan base so we don't go insane guessing on FT.

Edited by trooky

5 minutes ago, trooky said:

He's a radical idea, why doesn't the club communicate it's strategy to the fan base so we don't go insane guessing on FT.

We can see what's slowly unfolding but was wondering what their long game was, you can bet they have a 1, 2 and 3 year plan, stupid not too.

56 minutes ago, trooky said:

Yes everything you say is true, and the window is still open for 3 games until the end of August.

Most teams will be in transition during this period still finalising their squads, but we've got the points deduction looming.

I think we've missed a trick in not getting our business done early giving the manager time to work with a full squad of players.

With a full squad we could really have targeted these 3 games and give us the best chance of getting 9 points, but at present  were in disarray.

It’s always much harder to conclude transfer business early when that window involves a major international tournament.

Look at the whole market - it seems very little (bar maybe Chelsea) has happened unless you count the dubious intra club PSR assisting trading of academy assets.

And that stands to reason - players returns to squads are disjointed, those away on international duty are harder to discuss futures with etc.

The other thing with trying to do business early is that will normally come at a premium price point.

Haven’t bothered to keep up with our friendlies and everything pre season (prioritising mental health, and the thought of this upcoming season is damaging it), what formation and players do we think we starts with on Monday?

Edited by lgfualol

2 hours ago, Mark said:

No but doesn't always matter as Mahrez wasn't lightning but it's not helped that his dribbling technique to get past players is poor, is easy to dispossess, one that sticks in my mind is Jimmy Dunne getting the better of him every time. Don't be fooled by a few (actually more than a few) stepovers

I wasn't particularly saying how dangerous he is overall. I was just saying he's quick, and he is. 

I think our current forwards are more dangerous in a counter attack than in a pass heavy build up. Pace is a key factor in making counters more effective and helpful is one of the fastest guys we have.

3 hours ago, trooky said:

Yes everything you say is true, and the window is still open for 3 games until the end of August.

Most teams will be in transition during this period still finalising their squads, but we've got the points deduction looming.

I think we've missed a trick in not getting our business done early giving the manager time to work with a full squad of players.

With a full squad we could really have targeted these 3 games and give us the best chance of getting 9 points, but at present  were in disarray.

Very true but realistically, for all teams, particularly the lower one's, how many transfers are completed early doors? Agents and chairman alike wait to the end to line up their options and get the best deals. There's also the knock on deals whereby your target, even if he wants to come, isn't released until a replacement is secured. It's always the same every year and this year is no exception, in fact it's worse because we're a basket case. Chairman know we're desperate and players most probably reluctant to come. 

People would be very understanding if they held their hands up and said mistakes have been made.

If we saw evidence of restructuring in the boardroom (I'm afraid I don't know enough to be sure that Rudkin is the cause of all our ills, but I also suspect he'd be one of the first to go) then that would be a big step. Obviously lots would love to see someone appointed whose team-building qualities gave us some faith - e.g. Pearson, Walsh, Puel etc. - which would in turn generate some optimism that lessons are being learned.

Also, it would be wonderful if they could establish a longer term footballing project by saying 'look, this year could be hard both on and off the pitch, so our recruitment and our financial management has to give priority to the idea that, beyond this year, we can be a force again. This is a first step towards that'. Targeting 10m loans for Zaha and the likes would go against that, naturally. But speaking along those lines may help to attract younger, less proven prospects who are drawn by the idea of PL exposure, and longer term ambition. It's not as if we haven't made that sort of approach work in the past. And it would also relieve some of the pressure on a manager who currently looks bewildered by the state of things.

On a final note, if they publicly disavowed the idea that a style of play is dictated to the manager in advance, and that some of our ideas about playing style might not have been as sustainable as we believed 6-7 years back, that would go a long way towards reassuring people that there wasn't such a breach between what fans and board members wanted to see on the pitch.

The alternative is to get humiliated on and off the pitch, with fans up in arms about the style, and the lack of business, communication, plan, competence or ability to learn from past errors. Nobody wanting to sign up for our total absence of a project. And us getting to the end of the season and wondering whether it was wise to waste money on so many short-term investments when we're left with little to build on next season. That scenario (the likely one, sadly) would get very messy, and Top's legacy irreparably shattered.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ozvaldo said:

*abusive post removed*

I didn't see much of that confidence after the halfway point last season. Not until we stopped obsessing over possession and dispatched Southampton.

And how can we realistically expect confidence to be high when we've sold our best player and only splashed out a significant sum on a CB who doesn't appear to be up to it? Add to that the spectre of a possible record points deduction which may well relegate us before things properly get started, and you can understand why there'd be a malaise which any boss might struggle to overcome. I doubt Potter would have been thriving either, and Maresca-ball was already hitting a brick wall in the FLC.

18 hours ago, ozvaldo said:

*abusive post removed*

I was very disappointed when we appointed him but then kind of got my head around it and wanted to support him and see us succeed, however the last 3 performances and results have reaffirmed my concerns that he is massively out of his depth and this is an appointment that is seemingly already sucking the energy, confidence and momentum built up from last season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, merlin1969 said:

Could Steve Cooper become only PL manager sacked in preseason?

https://foxesofleicester.com/posts/steve-cooper-could-be-only-pl-manager-sacked-in-first-preseason-01j50p6x67sw

Perhaps we'll replace him with Ryan Lowe sacked as PNE manager after just one game.

Ridsdale (ex-Leeds) stated it was "a mutually agreed that now was an appropriate time for a change to be made"!!

What I find odd is that it seems Steve is washing his hands of responsibility. It's like "yeah we're really bad aren't we? We're not playing well at all"

Ermmmm Steve, you're responsible for the team and the tactics remember...

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Collymore said:

What I find odd is that it seems Steve is washing his hands of responsibility. It's like "yeah we're really bad aren't we? We're not playing well at all"

Ermmmm Steve, you're responsible for the team and the tactics remember...

He seems confused and so do the players. Has he lost the dressing room before the first game?

• Like 1