Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Steve Cooper - New Manager

2 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

None of the Enzo purists can tell me how we played in that 2nd half doesn't get the whole crowd going more than any of his football ever did.

I much prefer us playing like this. Shoot me.

I mean sure it gets the crowd going, but that and playing good football aren't necessarily in alignment. British fans are obsessed with athleticism and power more than technical ability, and it fed into academies for a long time, hence why this is the first generation of English players with a good surplus of technically skilled attacking players. British fans will always respond more positively to for instance a big tackle than an interception despite the big tackle being necessary due to poor awareness meaning the interception wasn't made (Maldini was one of the finest defenders I've ever seen and he barely ever made a tackle because he didn't need to, read the situations before they developed) and won't get going for a more chess like philosophy, even if that philosophy produces better performances and has the foundations for more sustained success

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, merlin1969 said:

Steve Cooper is a 6/1 favourite to be the next Premier League manager to leave despite Leicester's 1-1 draw against Spurs... while Erik ten Hag has widened to 9/1 after Man United's win

Nothing to read into that, we're well below the league average in terms of being ruthless with sacking managers. It's just people thinking we're shite and liable to go down and assuming we'll pull the trigger in a panic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

I mean sure it gets the crowd going, but that and playing good football aren't necessarily in alignment. British fans are obsessed with athleticism and power more than technical ability, and it fed into academies for a long time, hence why this is the first generation of English players with a good surplus of technically skilled attacking players. British fans will always respond more positively to for instance a big tackle than an interception despite the big tackle being necessary due to poor awareness meaning the interception wasn't made (Maldini was one of the finest defenders I've ever seen and he barely ever made a tackle because he didn't need to, read the situations before they developed) and won't get going for a more chess like philosophy, even if that philosophy produces better performances and has the foundations for more sustained success

We won the games we should have and had a very suspect record against top 8 teams in the Championship. So the theory of it dragging players out of position and outdoing them that way never really washed with me. We were flat track bullies last season. We won promotion because of the sheer amount of games where teams just sat in and let us attack really. 

On the point of what British fans want - I think you are going down the dinosaur route again that a lot of people who didn't like to watch that kind of football were. I don't think we needed to be so safe last season. And I also don't think we'd have seen us unlocking teams playing that way this season. It just didn't work like that during games. We kept being told they'd be another gear. But that was the gear. 

End of the day it worked out well for us and Enzo in the end in terms of the end result was promotion. I just don't see why some think that completely vindicates the tactics. 

I see today his brilliant man management is already freezing out Sterling. I give him a month there. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

We won the games we should have and had a very suspect record against top 8 teams in the Championship. So the theory of it dragging players out of position and outdoing them that way never really washed with me. We were flat track bullies last season. We won promotion because of the sheer amount of games where teams just sat in and let us attack really. 

On the point of what British fans want - I think you are going down the dinosaur route again that a lot of people who didn't like to watch that kind of football were. I don't think we needed to be so safe last season. And I also don't think we'd have seen us unlocking teams playing that way this season. It just didn't work like that during games. We kept being told they'd be another gear. But that was the gear. 

End of the day it worked out well for us and Enzo in the end in terms of the end result was promotion. I just don't see why some think that completely vindicates the tactics. 

I see today his brilliant man management is already freezing out Sterling. I give him a month there. 

our record against the other top 8 sides last season was

W6 D3 L5

not exactly suspect, particularly since given 4 of those 5 defeats we were dominant in (Leeds A, Hull H, Middlesbrough H and A) and just couldn't finish. Nor were we overly safe last year. We shredded teams who tried to go toe to toe with us (Southampton and Schumacher's Plymouth/Stoke) but games against e.g. Rotherham coming and sticking 11 in their own box is going to be attritional, wear them down mentally by moving it around style football. there's a simple reason why even teams down into leagues one and two now play more passing football, pitches are better than they were 20+ years ago so you can play that way easier, and it's ultimately what is most effective. if we'd tried to play the cavalier counter football fans wanted last season, we'd have finished midtable and been complaining because you can't counter teams that won't attack - when teams would attack (Southampton, Leeds away) we did rip through them, dicked Southampton 9-1 on aggregate and should have been 3 or 4 up at Leeds before they scored.

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

If anybody who doesn't follow football is looking to understand the fickleness of your bog standard football fan. I encourage them to follow this thread closely this season lol

Fickle would be praising how great he is and then slagging him off when he left. 

I consistently said the same about Enzo the fraud. 

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

This isn't aimed at you at all haha. 

The general vibe is this thread is completely shifted from last week lol

Just waiting for it to swing back to violently negative when we lose.

That happens with every manager, just look at last season. Are you pro or against Cooper? You always seem very negative (no offence) so make wondering on the stance this time. 

4 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

That happens with every manager, just look at last season. Are you pro or against Cooper? You always seem very negative (no offence) so make wondering on the stance this time. 

I was pro appointment. One of the things I was excited about was that he has been known to work with younger players. Been disappointed with the disregard of the young lads so far but there's time for that to change.

I like the way Forest fans talk about him like we (sensible fans) talk about Pearson. I feel like I'll like him overall as he probably won't just talk bullsh*t.

So I'm positive about this one, definitely more positive than the vast majority of people were before  9:15pm Monday lol

Will re-evaluate after 10 or so games and weigh up the pros and cons.

No offence taken either haha. In my defence there are very few positives to take from the club in the past 4  years or so :D 

• Like 3

Just now, filbertway said:

I was pro appointment. One of the things I was excited about was that he has been known to work with younger players. Been disappointed with the disregard of the young lads so far but there's time for that to change.

I like the way Forest fans talk about him like we (sensible fans) talk about Pearson. I feel like I'll like him overall as he probably won't just talk bullsh*t.

So I'm positive about this one, definitely more positive than the vast majority of people were before  9:15pm Monday lol

Will re-evaluate after 10 or so games and weigh up the pros and cons.

No offence taken either haha. In my defence there are very few positives to take from the club in the past 4  years or so :D 

Nice one agree with that 

• Thanks 1

Really hope we can build some momentum over the next couple of games and get the fanbase onboard because the way he talks and the type of person we're bringing in is giving me Big Nige vibes

Edited by Richard
  • Like 3

On 21/08/2024 at 14:01, -sodapop said:

Nothing to read into that, we're well below the league average in terms of being ruthless with sacking managers. It's just people thinking we're shite and liable to go down and assuming we'll pull the trigger in a panic.

Not only that given our struggles on recruitment, I dont think we will be in a rush if results are going badly.  As its a nightmare for Rudkin.

steve cooper loves youth …. signs bdr to block the pathway for mavididi. Signs ayew to block the pathway for fatawu and alves. 

Signs skipp to block the pathway for braybrooke. 

This feels like a sabotage and like when a club hires a big sam … maybe that’s what he wants to become 

Just now, Lambert09 said:

steve cooper loves youth …. signs bdr to block the pathway for mavididi. Signs ayew to block the pathway for fatawu and alves. 

This feels like a sabotage and like when a club hires a big sam … maybe that’s what he wants to become 

Ludicrous post

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

This makes no sense. Firstly Mavididi is 26, certainly not ‘youth’. Secondly Ayew will not be blocking Fatawu’s path as he’s a completely different position. Thirdly Braybrooke is not ready to be a PL footballer and we’re likely selling Soumare anyway. And then the last sentence is the most ridiculous of the lot. Did Steve steal your wife or something? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Really hope we can build some momentum over the next couple of games and get the fanbase onboard because the way he talks and the type of person we're bringing in is giving me Big Nige vibes

You think signing the useless Jordan Ayew for £8m is the way to get the fanbase onboard?

2 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

You think signing the useless Jordan Ayew for £8m is the way to get the fanbase onboard?

Writing a signing off before he's even signed, much like the sack Cooper threads before we'd actually played a game

• Like 1

On 20/08/2024 at 15:29, Gamble92 said:

It's great to be able to see pragmatism from a manager. We've waited a long time for it. 

Cooper is perfect for a dogfight. Okay we had to have a lot of luck first half but we absolutely could have won it in the second half and not one person watching the game thought that could happen. We can only take positives from that. 

You have to think the difference between that first half where we could be 2 or 3 down with an extremely toxic atmosphere on and off the pitch compared to the scenes second half could make all the difference to new players and the season as a whole. 

This is exactly why the friendly choices were another in a long list of absolute cock ups from the club. 

I try and be as positive as possible for Leicester so the one and only negative for me is the likes of Rudkin just about doing enough to get away with things again. Every time others like Cooper do their jobs, I feel like it vindicates Rudkin to Top. 

Maresca was well onto Rudkin, I think he was really trying to force change above him. Teflon Jon for a reason though. Chelsea come and save the day.