Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Steve Cooper - New Manager

On 21/08/2024 at 14:45, filbertway said:

If anybody who doesn't follow football is looking to understand the fickleness of your bog standard football fan. I encourage them to follow this thread closely this season lol

👀

1 minute ago, Edingleyfox said:

Cooper gave the impression in that interview that he was happy with his right back. I might be wrong but when asked about Ricardo going up to midfield he didn't grasp the question. This makes we wonder if he doesn't understand why Ricardo was so important last year in the inverted FB role. Clearly the system has changed but I'd hoped Ricardo would have been given some minutes by now.

He seemed to acknowledge that Ricky can play in midfield, but made no commitment to doing so. Essentially said he's happy with the competition between JJ and Ricky at right back, and "we'll see who he is" (AKA where Ricky can contribute) across the season. Clearly not his first choice, which is baffling.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CloudFox said:

He seemed to acknowledge that Ricky can play in midfield, but made no commitment to doing so. Essentially said he's happy with the competition between JJ and Ricky at right back, and "we'll see who he is" (AKA where Ricky can contribute) across the season. Clearly not his first choice, which is baffling.

This worries me a lot. 

I can only assume from this that Cooper hasn't done his homework or even watched any of our games from last season. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Koke said:

Our players are mostly crap but Cooper just isn't good enough. Atrocious football.

That just isn’t true they are not mostly crap. 

Hermansen is arguably one of the most promising goalkeepers in Europe. 

Riccy P - still a quality player in the premier league with an abundance of experience and talent 

Justin - a player who has decent premier league experience and whilst not a world beater is more than capable at this level 

Vestergaard - international defender who has a wealth of experience at premier league level. Again not world class but isn’t a complete duffer 

Faes - played for Belgium in the Euros again more than capable at premier league level 

Winks - another seasoned premier league player who has played in the champions league final 

Ndidi - was arguably the best destroyer 3 years ago, whilst he has dropped off a level he is still more than capable of deployed in the right manner 

Skipp - Again another who has played a significant number of games at premier league level 

Fatawu - all the talent and potential in the world 

Mavidid - just come off the back of a very good season, full of tricks and a real handful of given the chance. 

Facundo - looks a real talent and with a smattering of premier league experience 

Vardy - absolute goat

He also has other players in the squad that have decent experience including players he has insisted on signing, such as Reid and Ayew.

plus on top of that a group of talented younger players who have the potential to grow and develop including Nelson, Okoli, Cannon, Braybrooke & Alves. 

Whilst it isn’t an easy job, it certainly isn’t impossible and we are miles away from being Derby or Sheffield United If managed correctly. 

He is a rabbit in the headlights, taking a team that was well coached and superb in possession to a team that is now so negative and passive. 

At least Enzo had a plan, I am not sure Cooper has a coherent strategy. 

when we were looking at a replacement for Enzo the noises were we wanted to retain our approach and identity for playing progressive football, apart from a 25 minute cameo on Monday night this is quite possibly worse than anything I have witness in the last 20 years. It is clueless anti football. 

If the board were happy to forego their football principles then the decision to appoint Cooper over other candidates such as Moyes, Corberan et al is even more mind boggling. 

I have made it clear from the outset I was far from enamoured with his appointment however I want him to prove me wrong because I want Leicester to be successful but I am afraid from where I am sitting this is going to be a disaster of an appointment and a wasted opportunity to build a team to set us up for the future. 

I just hope if this continues the club act decisively and quickly. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

What really concerns me is that irrespective of the increased quality of the opposition, I'm 100% convinced we are a worse team now than we were last year. Part of that is down to our transfer business as we've somehow spent upwards of £50m without really improving the first eleven, but part of it is on Cooper dropping two of our better players from last season and having a plan that doesn't seem to go any further than sitting deep and seeing if we can steal a goal on the break.

I think we are probably only a handful of bad results, or maybe one or two proper hammerings, from him just saying **** it and resorting to full on 5 at the back sufferball like he did at Forest.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

the board were happy to forego their football principles then the decision to appoint Cooper over other candidates such as Moyes, Corberan et al is even more mind boggling. 

Absolute utter delusion over where we are as a club. I think you'll find that Cooper was one of the few that would take the job on. This club is in a huge mess because of the way it is run. Bargain basement players, bargain basement manager, and the same can be said of those running the show. Those managers were never coming here, it's not 2018.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Vestan Pance said:

Absolute utter delusion over where we are as a club. I think you'll find that Cooper was one of the few that would take the job on. This club is in a huge mess because of the way it is run. Bargain basement players, bargain basement manager, and the same can be said of those running the show. Those managers were never coming here, it's not 2018.

At the same time there are probably hundreds of relatively unknown managers with potential out there who would have come. The type who back themselves to overcome a challenge and exceed expectations to put their name out there in a big European league.

What do Brighton do? They scout. Our scouting may as well be non-existent, that’s why we end up with people like Cooper, Puel, Reid and Ayew. Maresca, as much as I didn’t really take to him, was at least a rare occasion where we didn’t just take the easy option - albeit it was still a bit basic to go ‘we’ll just get the guy who works with Pep and we’ll play like Man City’.

Cooper isn’t an ambitious manager and it shows. He’s not at fault for us being relegation favourites, but he’s not an asset either. We could do better if we took scouting and preparation seriously.

Edited by Kitchandro
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Was fully prepared to back cooper even down to the championship providing we played well, fought hard for wins and were solid as a unit, like we were under Nige 14/15 where we looked destined to go down but were well in most games but losing by fine margins. 

As a broader look since Cooper came in, we’ve had a single 45 minutes of decent football across pre season and our 2 league games. 

That’s not good enough and as much as Cooper does talk quite well he does come across as bland and uninspiring to me, and you can see how easily our heads drop, we’ve not instilled any fight into our team for years. 

If we have a few more poor results where we get dominated and we show absolutely no signs of playing to our maximum capacity (right now everyone is playing at 70% imo) then cooper will have to go. 

We don’t yet know what the points deduction is and I know we all suspect it will be 6+ points, that could be enough to really give this a go and fight to stay up, but not unless we improve dramatically. 

I can accept going down fighting tooth and nail, I can’t accept going down playing how we have all pre season, then today and the first half vs spurs. 
If this continues next week I’d say get rid. 

Either take a gamble or give it to a firefighter. We have to stay up if it’s within our grasp, the entire point of Cooper being accepted by a lot of fans regardless of most of us not really wanting him here was his track record of getting the most out of many players he has worked with, so far we’ve regressed. 

I do like Cooper, but a few more performances like this and it may get into territory where it’s more of a gamble to keep him than move on. 
Trying to be optimistic but so far we have looked very poor. 

• Like 1

Who unlocked that cooper out thread, FT back to blaming individual players and now not even giving a manager 2 games.

Why has Cooper been given much less time than all our other recent managers and whilst he has probably had the worst squad since early Pearson.

• Like 1

I'm cutting him some slack for now. Our squad isn't very good. However, him leaving Mavididi and Ricardo on when we're struggling to create chances is poor. He seems allergic to creative footballers. He seems to just like footballers that just work hard. That alone is not enough at this level. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

Who unlocked that cooper out thread, FT back to blaming individual players and now not even giving a manager 2 games.

Why has Cooper been given much less time than all our other recent managers and whilst he has probably had the worst squad since early Pearson.

I opened it, it’s still a mix of cooper out and state of this place comments, will reopen it next week

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chrysalis said:

Help if he played the better players wouldn't it

• Like 3

Just now, BenTheFox said:

I'm cutting him some slack for now. Our squad isn't very good. However, him leaving Mavididi and Ricardo on when we're struggling to create chances is poor. He seems allergic to creative footballers. He seems to just like footballers that just work hard. That alone is not enough at this level. 

Remove "I'm cutting him some slack for now" from your post and it's basically what most of everyone has been saying! 

1 minute ago, Chrysalis said:

He's Forests, Nigel Pearson. Was always going to happen, not that I agree with it, but you could see this  coming.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Collymore said:

Remove "I'm cutting him some slack for now" from your post and it's basically what most of everyone has been saying! 

I'm certainly not as harsh as some. I've seen shouts for him to be sacked already. I'm nowhere near being at that point. 

I don't hold him solely responsible for our defeat. I think our squad isn't good enough first and foremost. I can point out what appear to be his faults without calling for his head. 

Just spent 5 minutes typing out a snotty message telling people they need a reality check, right as the thread got locked.

Our squad is probably the worst in the league. We can't attract players because we have a points deduction looming over us, among other things.

We might have got Potter, but we backed out of that as we got the impression we were just keeping him warm for someone else to come along. And if he did leave us mid season we really would be cooked.

Cooper is playing poker with no money and no cards. We should be backing him and the boys.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I'm certainly not as harsh as some. I've seen shouts for him to be sacked already. I'm nowhere near being at that point. 

I don't hold him solely responsible for our defeat. I think our squad isn't good enough first and foremost. I can point out what appear to be his faults without calling for his head. 

Normally you almost always get a honeymoon period as a manager where everyone is energised and embrace change. We've had none of that - just utter mind boggling poor decisions from him from the team selection to the tactics.

It's rare to want someone out so quickly but so is it rare that someone can come in and be so poor from the off. Warnings were there preseason and it hasn't improved. He deserves to be sacked. 

• Thanks 1