Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Steve Cooper - New Manager

The players aren’t good enough to play a possession based game in the premier league. 

Hes obviously looked at this and thought we need to sit back and hit teams on the counter. Which is absolutely fine. I think this is our best chance to stay up this season. We aren’t going to attract better quality players unless we can stay in the league this season. 

Looking at the other teams that will be around us, Ipswich/southampton/everton etc…. I think we have a chance. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Blue-fox said:

The players aren’t good enough to play a possession based game in the premier league. 

Hes obviously looked at this and thought we need to sit back and hit teams on the counter. Which is absolutely fine. I think this is our best chance to stay up this season. We aren’t going to attract better quality players unless we can stay in the league this season. 

Looking at the other teams that will be around us, Ipswich/southampton/everton etc…. I think we have a chance. 

I wouldn’t write Ipswich off just yet. 

What worries me isn't so much the attack rather the defensive structure. Rather, the lacking structure in general. It's as if we hadn't worked on it at all. I was very critical about maresca offensively but defensively he got it spot on. 

It can be improved with the introduction of pereira into the side, but don't know why it hasn't happened. 

Offensively we need a striker. Simple as that. A goal scorer. We will create enough to stay up imo, but we need a younger finisher. Vardy is 37

• Thanks 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot

Would love to know the plan.

We've gone from challenging the top 6 with some clear aims, get into Europe, win trophies, bring through young players (which Rodgers often referenced), to 'play like Man City', to do what Notts Forest did (cheat, sign shit players, have a shit manager, shithouse staying up) in the space of about 4 years.

I look at clubs like Brighton and Brentford who've got a very clear identity enviously.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot

41 minutes ago, Blue-fox said:

We can still be possession based and counter attacking at the same time, we look very disjointed.

Cooper is really tactically inept at this level, the likes of Ipswich / Southampton and Everton granted they have had Poor starts but Ipswich have played Manchester City and Liverpool so two defeats were expected , I still think they would beat us on the day. We really need to

up our game if We are to have any chance of staying up.

He won’t play Ricardo and Skipp instead of JJ and Wilf for one reason

Height ( or lack of it )

Pace would be another possible factor 

Cant remember peak Barce being a team of giants but maybe not a fair comparison :)

Edited by Holly B

32 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

We've gone from challenging the top 6 with some clear aims, get into Europe, win trophies, bring through young players (which Rodgers often referenced), to 'play like Man City', to do what Notts Forest did (cheat, sign shit players, have a shit manager, shithouse staying up) in the space of about 4 years.

I look at clubs like Brighton and Brentford who've got a very clear identity enviously.

👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼 couldn’t agree more 

8 minutes ago, Holly B said:

He won’t play Ricardo and Skipp instead of JJ and Wilf for one reason

Height ( or lack of it )

Pace would be another possible factor 

Cant remember peak Barce being a team of giants but maybe not a fair comparison :)

You can fit Wilf,.Skipp,.Ricky and JJ all into the same starting xi. 

33 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Thanks for the mind blowing novel outlook.
Now what? Continue this tiresome moaning or get behind the team in what is going to be a rough season.
Awaits happy clapper defamation.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
7 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Thanks for the mind blowing novel outlook.
Now what? Continue this tiresome moaning or get behind the team in what is going to be a rough season.
Awaits happy clapper defamation.

Sorry - didn't realise the purpose of this forum was just to be relentlessly positive and to not ask necessary questions.

49 minutes ago, NasPb said:

What worries me isn't so much the attack rather the defensive structure. Rather, the lacking structure in general. It's as if we hadn't worked on it at all. I was very critical about maresca offensively but defensively he got it spot on. 

It can be improved with the introduction of pereira into the side, but don't know why it hasn't happened. 

Offensively we need a striker. Simple as that. A goal scorer. We will create enough to stay up imo, but we need a younger finisher. Vardy is 37

Got to disagree here. We got away with a lot defensively due to the lack of quality in many of the strikers and teams we faced. Even from day one, Coventry could have had a hatful if they could have finished.

Later in the season we were being taken apart by the likes of Plymouth and Millwall who had figured that all you had to do was put the ball into the channel down our right hand side and have acres of space to punish us. That would have been an absolute bloodbath in this league and the last two games I think we’d have been out of game by half time.

I do agree we need a better structure this season but don’t agree it was good last season.

There are some positives. We defended set pieces very well on Monday, Fulham had a couple of chances for them yesterday. And scoring from a set piece is something we have been awful at for years so there does seem to be some positives if people are willing to highlight them.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Sorry - didn't realise the purpose of this forum was just to be relentlessly positive and to not ask necessary questions.

I’ve said it before but fans who are just overly positive to earn more king power points are way more annoying than the “moaners” 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

Got to disagree here. We got away with a lot defensively due to the lack of quality in many of the strikers and teams we faced. Even from day one, Coventry could have had a hatful if they could have finished.

Later in the season we were being taken apart by the likes of Plymouth and Millwall who had figured that all you had to do was put the ball into the channel down our right hand side and have acres of space to punish us. That would have been an absolute bloodbath in this league and the last two games I think we’d have been out of game by half time.

I do agree we need a better structure this season but don’t agree it was good last season.

There are some positives. We defended set pieces very well on Monday, Fulham had a couple of chances for them yesterday. And scoring from a set piece is something we have been awful at for years so there does seem to be some positives if people are willing to highlight them.

I agree regarding set pieces. We will create enough and score at least enough to keep us up with a fight of staying up. But we need q true st to help our hopes and a cam

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

If no-one is listening then they aren't really questions are they? 

The absolute horror show we have made of thing arguably since promotion is obvious to most fans but I don't see how repeatedly sharing the same grievances when no-one is obviously listening makes one iota of difference. 

Would of loved us to of gone for a foreign manager who doesn’t have the box ticking pl experience. 
As already posted I don’t think he’s the right fit for us. He will get at least 10 games. He seems very Southgate esq with his approach. He’d rather go out and set up not to lose instead of going out to win. 
You only have to look at Brighton, Bournemouth and Palace to see that it can work with foreign managers. 

1 hour ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

It all feels very sticking plaster at the moment - jumping from one strategy to another without any real direction. I guess Cooper was appointed because he wanted the job (perhaps others didn’t) and also he was seen as being more adaptable and pragmatic than Enzo. However, if more pragmatic means playing BDCR and Ayew, and sacrificing coherent and fluid attacking plays that were learnt last season I’m not sure about that. I would have been up for an appointment similar to Palace and Brighton - a young and or progressive European coach who wants to get into English football, or even someone like Danny Rohl. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

If no-one is listening then they aren't really questions are they? 

The absolute horror show we have made of thing arguably since promotion is obvious to most fans but I don't see how repeatedly sharing the same grievances when no-one is obviously listening makes one iota of difference. 

You could hear chants of "we want Rudkin out" at the match. If that message is consistent then it will be heard.

That is where our issues lie, Rudkin simply isnt an actual DoF, he doesnt have a long term strategy on transfers and team building. Our transfer identity varies too much under each manager, we need consistency between managers to actually get back on track as a club and we also need a strong negotiator who doesnt overpay on transfer fees and wages like Rudkin.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, honeybradger said:

You could hear chants of "we want Rudkin out" at the match. If that message is consistent then it will be heard.

That is where our issues lie, Rudkin simply isnt an actual DoF, he doesnt have a long term strategy on transfers and team building. Our transfer identity varies too much under each manager, we need consistency between managers to actually get back on track as a club and we also need a strong negotiator who doesnt overpay on transfer fees and wages like Rudkin.

It might be heard but there is zero chance anything will change. Putin's job is more at risk than Rudkin's.

Just now, honeybradger said:

No disagreement from me re: Rudkin, I am just not convinced Top et al are paying any attention. 

2 hours ago, Pliskin said:

Some things that have really irritated me so far has been this bizarre acceptance amongst some fans that this is how things should be, and a complete dismissal of last season because it was the championship……

Last season just highlights Cooper was the wrong choice, forget the negatives towards the end of the season, and opinions of some of Enzo’s tactical visions and his stubbornness, I had many concerns myself if he was the right choice to take us into this season, and I think many do…… however, we should not do his time here a disservice by just dismissing it, you have to look at the situation in context……… a surprise relegation, a completely rudderless club with no leadership, and Enzo came in and instantly changed all of this. He set an instant direction for the club, there was a clear identity and a clear philosophy, which is what we needed. Without any of these things we would not have gone up, the recruitment was good last season and it seemed we were back on track.

We don’t really know what went on in the recruitment process for the new manager, but Cooper definitely wasn’t the number one choice I think it’s fair to say…. It all seems like it’s a fall back option, and we’re operating like that…. The recruitment has been poor, the pre season preparations poor, and there seemingly appears to be no plan and no idea…… this is a polar opposite to last season. 

This is what worries me, you don’t get time to adapt at this level, and it appears Cooper is struggling to get this team to adapt at the moment. Spurs was a hopeful performance, but yesterday just undid any of that good work because we just looked clueless and lost. Iwobi’s goal was just gobsmacking, to concede a goal like that at this level was just poor. It’s a worry, because it need not be like this. There is talent in this team, but at the moment it’s not being utilised. 

At the moment, I can’t see how things improve especially with the likes of Jordan Ayew and BDR getting into the squad. 

Exactly this. I fear the euphoria and optimism of Monday night is ebbing way rapidly. Was that euphoria justified, of course not we were completely dominated but got away with Spurs being Spurs. That does not happen often in the Premier League.

Edited by Philkeavo

1 minute ago, Philkeavo said:

Exactly this. I fear the euphoria and optimism of Monday night is ebbing way rapidly. Was that euphoria justified, of course not we were completely dominated but got away with Spurs being Spurs. That does happen often in the Premier League.

Absolutely.  Right now we look a disjointed mess. We sit deep, create very little in the way of scoring opportunities.  The sole tactic seems to be sit back, hope the opposition don't score or at least only score once and then try to do something for around 20 minutes and hope we get a goal.  All this stems from a manger who exudes a negative approach by his set up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Such a poor response and dare I say fishing for a fight. This is a Leicester City forum. You asked for it, so here it is. The fella who wrote the original has asked a genuine set of questions which should worry every single one of us. But unless you’re happy clappy (your words), you’re moaning ?. The football club has dropped so significantly, we are burdened by a training ground that believe me, ten years or more in the Championship just won’t cut it. I don’t understand that if someone has very little insight why they’d want to create an argument on genuine points. They’ve ****ed it so badly that if as fans you’re not questioning it every time you log on here, go to the ground etc. it’s weird. 

So sorry if it’s tiresome for you but getting behind the team and questioning the hierarchy is not mutually bound. The hierarchy need these questions presented to them on a daily basis. 

Bravo 🙌🏼 👏🏼👏🏼