Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Steve Cooper - New Manager

9 minutes ago, albrok said:

Just to give you some respective as a Forest fan, Cooper could never crack Premier League midfields at this level. I think it is what killed him at Forest, I can barely remember a single game where our midfield won a battle whilst he was in charge and we went through a lot of good midfielders so I am seeing a lot of familiar complaints that we had.

We came up playing attacking football and got crucified so he just went to his low block football. (remember that 4-0 win you guys had against us? That pretty much spelt the end of getting lots of players forward as Maddison just had so much space that game)

You can look at it as a positive or negative but Cooper will always adapt the system/style to the players he has. If you don't have players capable of playing a certain type of football he won't do it. He isn't an Enzo that has a set way of playing which is rare in the modern game for better or for worse i'll let you guys decide.

I watched you against Spurs & it was a mirror image of us under Cooper, we spent most of the game very passive but something just happens in a game which gets you going.

I am not convinced you care about my thoughts about Cooper but for me he was so niave at PL level - he got a lot of leeway others wouldn't have had based on how he got us promoted. He did have a difficult job here because we signed loads of players but he was a driving force behind that recruitment. 

Thanks for posting and great to get such an open and honest assessment. Personally I think it will be a disaster of an appointment and he will do well to make it to the January transfer window. 

• Like 3

So far, so poor

Start matches like a pub team who were out the night before

Tactics appear non-existent

We are sitting back, but our defensive unit is all over the place. Should have conceded more in both games - Mads is playing well

Even our good spell against Spurs looked like it was in spite of the tactics.

No Changes from 1st match, despite the poor performance

• Like 2

Just now, beepee1984 said:

So far, so poor

Start matches like a pub team who were out the night before

Tactics appear non-existent

We are sitting back, but our defensive unit is all over the place. Should have conceded more in both games - Mads is playing well

Even our good spell against Spurs looked like it was in spite of the tactics.

No Changes from 1st match, despite the poor performance

Couldn’t agree more let’s be honest had Spurs been able to finish then highly likely today we would be talking about a fairly lame 2-1 defeat following of the back of a bit of a drubbing at home to Spurs. The result and the improved performance for part of the 2nd half massively papered over some pretty alarming cracks that had been there throughout pre-season. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, albrok said:

Just to give you some respective as a Forest fan, Cooper could never crack Premier League midfields at this level. I think it is what killed him at Forest, I can barely remember a single game where our midfield won a battle whilst he was in charge and we went through a lot of good midfielders so I am seeing a lot of familiar complaints that we had.

We came up playing attacking football and got crucified so he just went to his low block football. (remember that 4-0 win you guys had against us? That pretty much spelt the end of getting lots of players forward as Maddison just had so much space that game)

You can look at it as a positive or negative but Cooper will always adapt the system/style to the players he has. If you don't have players capable of playing a certain type of football he won't do it. He isn't an Enzo that has a set way of playing which is rare in the modern game for better or for worse i'll let you guys decide.

I watched you against Spurs & it was a mirror image of us under Cooper, we spent most of the game very passive but something just happens in a game which gets you going.

I am not convinced you care about my thoughts about Cooper but for me he was so niave at PL level - he got a lot of leeway others wouldn't have had based on how he got us promoted. He did have a difficult job here because we signed loads of players but he was a driving force behind that recruitment. 

Great post and perspective

2 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

We won three out of our last four games - and the loss only came when we’d already won the league and the players had been on the piss all week. 

An absurd statement rendered in capitals is still absurd statement. 

When the players told him enough was enough and Leeds had bottled it, so the pressure was off. Enzo had no idea when we started to falter, did a decent job getting us promoted, but i'm delighted he has left

• Sad 1

Very worrying if he can't sort out the midfield. We got beat yesterday because Fulham played the game basically in front of our midfield,  While our players were playing a low block.

How Cooper couldn't see that early and adjust the midfield accordingly.

Though a big part of the problem is we don't have any muscle in there. The Italian lad isn't a tackler no more than Winks is. That leave Wilf trying to be everywhere.

If you are playing a low block you need to be disciplined to hold your positions regardless of what the oppossition do in front of you.

We didn't for either Goals. The 2nd goal is the best example, JJ stepped up to try and win the Ball without having cover and got beat by the first time pass that beat him.

It was a great move by Fulham and very poor from us.

Edited by Clever Fox
typo

1 hour ago, albrok said:

I think, even from the outside, it looked like he was surviving off the goodwill following your unlikely promotion. He hasn't got that grace here. He seems like a very affable bloke, but he seems like a Championship manager to me. Only two games in, but I haven't seen any patterns of play yet that show a really clear direction or identity. The midfield issues at Forest that you mentioned, don't surprise me at all.

Edited by Tielemans63
  • Like 1

I can’t help but feel that Cooper is a mid-table Championship manager that is out of his depth in the Premier League.

Everything about him screams ‘I don’t know what I’m doing and I know you all know it’

• Like 4

Just now, jim5000 said:

I can’t help but feel that Cooper is a mid-table Championship manager that is out of his depth in the Premier League.

Everything about him screams ‘I don’t know what I’m doing and I know you all know it’

Of course he is! Hardly any premier league teams were queuing up for his signature.

2 hours ago, albrok said:

Great post and confirming what we are seeing with our own eyes 

I'm sure he works hard and he is very likable but I have real doubts as to his capability at this level irrespective of the shite hand we've dealt him 

• Like 1

Poor signings, poor preseason, poor tactics, lack of attacking threat. So far, it doesn't look good for Steve. But he shouldn't be taking all the flak. My crosshair is aiming a little higher up, as my expectations tell me that Cooper is here to do a job and keep us up with the resources he has (yes, duh). And if he doesn't, for whatever reason, make the cut here, then we have to believe that those above should also resign or be dismissed.

The mid-week League Cup match against Tranmere should be an indication, a strong one as that, as to whether a shake-up is indeed needed. We may well prioritise the league, but defeat in that game could well accelerate Cooper's demise.

I’d still rather Rudkin go before Cooper… this clubs is the pits compared to the Vichai days. 

KP goes - then you’d think Rudkin would go

Or KP stays and they have to grow a pair and sack him - we are definitely going down if it stays the same. We have probably a minimum of 12 points being deducted, meaning we would need 52-53 points to give us a chance… and from what I’ve read / seen, including preseason, there’s no way we are getting that 

Edited by TMELcfc
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, albrok said:

Thanks for your comments. He's out of his depth here it's plain to see. His complete ignorance of our excellent academy as well is the most disappointing. He's dining out on getting his hands on a generational U17 England team and it's parachuted him as some sort of pioneer in youth development. 

Biggest myth I've seen in many a year.

Hopefully he lasts about as long as Paulo Sousa and Martin Allen here.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, blue army 1988 said:

The problem is, we didn't have anyone queuing up to be our manager either.

Coberan would have at least got the players on side, Cooper has no chance imo and 3 of the 5 signings are terrible

Edited by whoareyaaa
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, blue army 1988 said:

The problem is, we didn't have anyone queuing up to be our manager either.

We don't really know that. A bit like the Dean Smith appointment, Cooper smelled of desperation and ill-advice. 

We've seen plenty of sides 'gamble' on foreign managers in recent times with no prior PL experience.

Slot, Ten Hag, Hürzeler, Glasner, Iraola, Lopetegui etc. Not saying we should attract those managers, but similar managerial talents were surely available.

Edited by shen