Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Steve Cooper - New Manager

Moyes over potter every time in the situation we were always going to be in - we need someone who can work with what we have and find a way to compete - Moyes and Nolan would have and would be perfect !!

41 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

A long long time yet. It’s two games ffs

That's 2 games to many.

When you look at teams that get a new manager you usually seem a upwards trajectory or improvement.

This is not the case with Cooper it's been a downward spiral we are much worse now than we was this time last season. I'd even say under Cooper with this team we would be a mid table championship side.

He is pure negative 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

Coberan would have at least got the players on side, Cooper has no chance imo and 3 of the 5 signings are terrible

Press rumours that he wanted to come. Maybe because he kind of played the same style of Enzo.

Not one of us truly knows he was even in for the job.

3 hours ago, shen said:

We don't really know that. A bit like the Dean Smith appointment, Cooper smelled of desperation and ill-advice. 

We've seen plenty of sides 'gamble' on foreign managers in recent times with no prior PL experience.

Slot, Ten Hag, Hürzeler, Glasner, Iraola, Lopetegui etc. Not saying we should attract those managers, but similar managerial talents were surely available.

No we don't really know that.

But if I had to play the odds, I would say the state we are currently in and the uncertainty of our future with points deduction and selling players, I wouldn't have thought many managers would have wanted to come. Premiership or championship experience or foreign.

But like you say, we don't really know anything.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

He pulled out due to a disagreement in backroom staff. Cooper was very much a second option. 

Potter was shown around the training ground and the stadium. I know that for a fact.

Why we he didn't become our manager has many different rumours. The backroom staff rumour doesn't seem very true as we were extremely light in that department anyway and most new managers always try and bring one or two old faces with them.

I heard it was more down to commitment to the job.

27 minutes ago, blue army 1988 said:

Potter was shown around the training ground and the stadium. I know that for a fact.

Why we he didn't become our manager has many different rumours. The backroom staff rumour doesn't seem very true as we were extremely light in that department anyway and most new managers always try and bring one or two old faces with them.

I heard it was more down to commitment to the job.

It will come out in the wash one day. But I think it’s fair to say Cooper wasn’t our number one target, and to be fair, it very much feels like that’s the case. 

I feel for the guy, he already looks a bit lost. 

Cooper is setting us up not to lose rather than to win.  Which is fine, but it's uninspiring. And the trouble you have when you do that is that when you choose to play dull, insipid, "pragmatic" football, then you sure as shit need to make sure you're getting results.  Or you're going to get a lot of shit from dissatisfied fans. And you deserve to to be fair.  We've lost goals and threat with the sale of KDH, so to choose to leave out one of our few decent attacking players in Mavididi is suicidal for me.  You're leaving one of last seasons biggest threats out so that you have a decent option to turn to on the bench later in the game. Trouble is the game may well be over by then, and that's probably in part because you've crippled our attacking threat up to that point.

I've said before that he seems to be making his job harder than it should be.  He's come into a successful team with good players playing a system that got the best out of the majority of players.  Yet he seems to be operating as though he's come in for a sacked manager at a team that's struggled and needs a complete overhaul.  Every manager has their own ideas but I don't get discarding things you could see clearly worked.  Ricardo and Mav being the two major ones.  Ricardo is our best fullback, no matter which way you play him. So why not play him? He can invert, he can play high, overlap, pass, cross, dribble, whatever you want, and he does it better than the others.  His only issue is can he retain fitness if you use him as a traditional fullback.  But even if the answer is no, then play him until you can't, then put JJ there.  It makes no sense to do it the other way around. "We've got this really good player but we're worried he might get injured, so to avoid that we're just going to cast him into the abyss and not play him at all. Can't get injured then!".

The Mav situation is just mental.  The Ricardo situation is odd.  And it's difficult to know if it's because Cooper doesn't rate them as much as anybody with eyes, or there's something else in it.  Maybe tactical, maybe there's something sinister in it (player sale?), but as of now it's bollocks to be honest.  We need our best players on the pitch wherever possible.  Choosing not to do that is lunacy.

On the face of things, Villa isn't a game I'd expect anything from.  But after that we have Palace and Everton.  Palace are selling everyone and have no points, Everton are shit.  He needs to have gotten 4 points from those 3 games to get people on side somewhat.  Certainly at home to Everton. We'll be 5 games in then plus the Tranmere game to see if tactically he's showing something rather than just throwing players on the pitch.  He made half time changes against Spurs which worked well and the game only started going away from us again after the momentum was halted by the injury stoppage, but against Fulham it was kind of the same from start to finish.  The Mav experiment hasn't shown any positive results, so hopefully he packs that in right away.

/rant

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Happy Fox said:

Moyes would be a class act compared to Cooper. We should have gone all out for Potter when we had the chance.

I suggested Moyes from the start.

He’d have come with Mckinlay and Nolan too amongst other, better coaching staff than our current setup. 

Corberan would’ve brought a clear playing style and ability to mix it up with formations as he proved with WBA.

We’re only two games in and, yeah, all of us fully expected a difficult season.

I can accept that we’re going to lose many more games than we win; however, I can’t accept losing when Cooper is not playing our best players.

Ricardo has to play. Cooper’s answer to Radio Leicester about Ricardo was complete nonsense. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Happy Fox said:

Moyes would be a class act compared to Cooper. We should have gone all out for Potter when we had the chance.

We did go all out for Potter. We couldn't agree a compensation package with him/his team. 

Realistically would you really want him around with that mentality?