Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Steve Cooper - New Manager

4 hours ago, georgelcfc34 said:

We literally have 1 more point than expected after these 2 games 🙈 Has anyone looked at there squads compared to ours. Fulham should be pushing for europa league places

Forget the points, the negative comments are regarding lack of tactics, style of football and player choices. 

My concern is he thinks what he is doing will work and he’s onto something and not smart enough to work it out. Leaving a young player who is on the rise and smashed in goals and assists last season for an older less skilful player who peaked at Fulham

People keep using the word pragmatic to describe him, I’m guessing the meaning has changed to something different.

All he had to do was a variation of Enzoball without the ****ing around at the back and not such a high line.  Then adapt from there.

So far the foreshadowing before he was selected appears to be correct, the negative preseason comments seem to be correct and now 2 games in they seem to be correct.

Edited by Richmondfox
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, georgelcfc34 said:

We literally have 1 more point than expected after these 2 games 🙈 Has anyone looked at there squads compared to ours. Fulham should be pushing for europa league places

and we've not looked value for even 0 points is rather the issue Steve, now, get back to managing the team 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Doctor said:

and we've not looked value for even 0 points is rather the issue Steve, now, get back to managing the team 

Next game will be Vardy, Ayew and Reid with Hamza or Soumaré behind. Young hungry players with lots of prem experience and work hard in training. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

And we didn’t look value for winning the title last season, but got away with it. Yet Maresca is the messiah !

Just now, georgelcfc34 said:

And we didn’t look value for winning the title last season, but got away with it. Yet Maresca is the messiah !

I mean we absolutely did though, and Enzo had a tactical plan. Whether people enjoyed it or not is besides the point

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Richmondfox said:

Next game will be Vardy, Ayew and Reid with Hamza or Soumaré behind. Young hungry players with lots of prem experience and work hard in training. 

thing is I can genuinely believe after another couple of defeats he goes pure sufferball and lines up 3cbs, Justin and Kristensen wing backs, Ndidi, Winks and then Ayew and Reid supporting Vardy. at which point I think I'd rather drive into the M1 central reservation than travel to the game

• Like 2

1 hour ago, georgelcfc34 said:

I don’t think you get away with winning a title after 46 games we earned it. But I guess it was the players that got us over the line anyway ! 

• Like 1

Obvious but we need a manager who can build with the likelihood for a number of major changes - I'm thinking over my time, Jock Wallace, Brian Little, Martin O'Neil and Nigel Pearson. 

I just can't see Cooper doing anything remotely what these great managers were able to do. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CrazyKopCorner said:

Obvious but we need a manager who can build with the likelihood for a number of major changes - I'm thinking over my time, Jock Wallace, Brian Little, Martin O'Neil and Nigel Pearson. 

I just can't see Cooper doing anything remotely what these great managers were able to do. 

And Jimmy Bloomfield.built the 70s entertainers.Quite a lot of opposition for his appointment, but him and Martin O'Neil  in the 90s silenced the boo boys.

Give Steve the chance!

I really want to like Cooper, he talks well, but so far my experience of him managing us has not really given me much hope. We've played 45 minutes of decent football since he's been here, awful pre season, Signings questionable (they will get time from me), We "couldn't afford" £5m for Corberan yet we have spent £65m on players with atleast £20m of that looking to be wasted, another £5m on goulding who likely won't get a sniff past cup games, we have some brilliant youth players who also won't get a sniff. We have Cannon who is apparantely a fantastic player behind even Soumare in the attacking pecking order, our CB Faes is now seemingly unhappy by being played as a LCB even having spoken to the staff about not being comfortable there, and we have our most diverse and probably best player in Ricardo Pereira being dropped because Cooper doesn't think he can play as a CB during play. 

Cooper was supposed to be the man who would get the most out of our team to allow us to spend wisely. We feel now more like a sinking ship than ever. He really needs to get to grips with the mess he's inherited from the club, and preferably not add to that by dropping our best player, playing our CB in a position he's not comfortable in and bring on a CDM as a makeshift striker when we have a decent young striker on the bench. 
It just feels like we are taking gambles at a time we desperately need stability and togetherness. 

Edited by cityfanlee23
  • Like 2

Maybe only 2 games and a pre season, but the clock should already be ticking, and hopefully his time at the club is going to be short.

He has already shown zero signs that he is able to set us up in a cohesive and competitive way 

He has shown zero evidence that he even wants or is willing to pick his better players in front of players that will run about a bit! 

He has shown zero interest in giving any of the youngsters a go, even in pre season friendlies, despite the fairytale of him being "good for the younger players", and helping to develop them. 

Finally and what should eventually see his demise at the club, so long as the brain farts that run the club can see it early enough (I won't be holding my breath!) he has no coherent plan that will get us even close to 20 points this season. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cropstonfox said:

And Jimmy Bloomfield.built the 70s entertainers.Quite a lot of opposition for his appointment, but him and Martin O'Neil  in the 90s silenced the boo boys.

Give Steve the chance!

Fair play - I just don't see it in him 

Really strange signings, team selections, no style of play whatsoever and substitutions are oh so familiar to TCR. 

• Like 1

Where did you see Everton getting 13 wins and 9 draws last season?

Forest getting 9 wins and 9 draws? 

I think we all got it the first time Jon

17 hours ago, JimJams said:

Cooper is setting us up not to lose rather than to win.  Which is fine, but it's uninspiring. And the trouble you have when you do that is that when you choose to play dull, insipid, "pragmatic" football, then you sure as shit need to make sure you're getting results.  Or you're going to get a lot of shit from dissatisfied fans. And you deserve to to be fair.  We've lost goals and threat with the sale of KDH, so to choose to leave out one of our few decent attacking players in Mavididi is suicidal for me.  You're leaving one of last seasons biggest threats out so that you have a decent option to turn to on the bench later in the game. Trouble is the game may well be over by then, and that's probably in part because you've crippled our attacking threat up to that point.

I've said before that he seems to be making his job harder than it should be.  He's come into a successful team with good players playing a system that got the best out of the majority of players.  Yet he seems to be operating as though he's come in for a sacked manager at a team that's struggled and needs a complete overhaul.  Every manager has their own ideas but I don't get discarding things you could see clearly worked.  Ricardo and Mav being the two major ones.  Ricardo is our best fullback, no matter which way you play him. So why not play him? He can invert, he can play high, overlap, pass, cross, dribble, whatever you want, and he does it better than the others.  His only issue is can he retain fitness if you use him as a traditional fullback.  But even if the answer is no, then play him until you can't, then put JJ there.  It makes no sense to do it the other way around. "We've got this really good player but we're worried he might get injured, so to avoid that we're just going to cast him into the abyss and not play him at all. Can't get injured then!".

The Mav situation is just mental.  The Ricardo situation is odd.  And it's difficult to know if it's because Cooper doesn't rate them as much as anybody with eyes, or there's something else in it.  Maybe tactical, maybe there's something sinister in it (player sale?), but as of now it's bollocks to be honest.  We need our best players on the pitch wherever possible.  Choosing not to do that is lunacy.

On the face of things, Villa isn't a game I'd expect anything from.  But after that we have Palace and Everton.  Palace are selling everyone and have no points, Everton are shit.  He needs to have gotten 4 points from those 3 games to get people on side somewhat.  Certainly at home to Everton. We'll be 5 games in then plus the Tranmere game to see if tactically he's showing something rather than just throwing players on the pitch.  He made half time changes against Spurs which worked well and the game only started going away from us again after the momentum was halted by the injury stoppage, but against Fulham it was kind of the same from start to finish.  The Mav experiment hasn't shown any positive results, so hopefully he packs that in right away.

/rant

We have no chance against Villa, Arsenal and if we lose against Everton & C Palace, surely it’s goodbye Mr Cooper

The board appointed someone they can throw under the bus when it starts to go wrong. To be fair he says all the right stuff and is trying be positive but he has not had much support from the board.

We haven’t improved our starting 11 yet with a week to go. Very concerning 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, tetly said:

The board appointed someone they can throw under the bus when it starts to go wrong. To be fair he says all the right stuff and is trying be positive but he has not had much support from the board.

Seeing players arguing during a game is a major concern, did not happen last season. Even Wicks stated it was the most enjoyable football of his career. I don’t think Cooper was not the manager the players wanted and it’s started to show.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fox1norfolk said:

We have no chance against Villa, Arsenal and if we lose against Everton & C Palace, surely it’s goodbye Mr Cooper

I think they'll give him until we play Man Utd.

We'll have played Palace, Everton, Bournemouth, Saints, Forest and Ipswich by then.  He needs to have gotten enough positive results in there to warrant carrying on.

Of course if the results are absolutely piss poor through to the Arsenal game then he could be out the door to allow someone to come in for the international break. So before the Bournemouth game, then 2 weeks until we face Saints, Forest and Ipswich.

20 minutes ago, tetly said:

Yeah I wouldn't even put this past them. I think they know the tide is turning on them and another yes man manager that will take the heat off them for a few more months helps them cling on for a bit longer.