Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Steve Cooper - New Manager

26 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

We have got a team that have played possession based football under the previous 3 managers, people suggested Cooper likes to play that type of football yet we haven’t seen any sign of that 

No we haven't but only confident, winning sides get to impose their style upon a game, belief is motivation.

Random thoughts. Unsurprisingly, the Prem has more quality than when we left it. Other teams had been improving and we hadn't, hence BR's disillusionment and subsequently the players' and relegation. We still haven't even really replaced leaving players, never mind improved the squad. The players signed aren't 'sexy football' players, but they all want European competitions. Burnley tried to play possession last season and still went down. Cooper has only managed two competitive games so far and we won't get a better coach in our current state, and likely no better if we get relegated. He'll need support getting the right players and time to adapt to his style, but even then it will be a struggle. This is just me getting it out my system btw -- as I'm sure all other here are doing. Have a good week everyone ... our cup run starts here! 😂

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, dr.o.ball said:

No we haven't but only confident, winning sides get to impose their style upon a game, belief is motivation.

if having come up as champions and starting at home to a team who lost 6 of their last 11 games last season, winning just 4 (against the bottom 4) and had only one away win since march (against Sheffield united) isn't a chance to start on a positive foot and impose your style, then you'll never get one 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

if having come up as champions and starting at home to a team who lost 6 of their last 11 games last season, winning just 4 (against the bottom 4) and had only one away win since march (against Sheffield united) isn't a chance to start on a positive foot and impose your style, then you'll never get one 

Absolutely, but we saw a confident team on the front foot, with a chance to go in 3 up at half time and the Championship winning team hanging on with a low block. Cooper didn't set us up that way and the players saw what a bit of pressing and belief can do in the 2nd half.

8 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

I think you made your mind up the moment he signed, there is no way you have rationally come to this conclusion after 2 games.

I cant think of any other occasion in our history where so many people have been so desperate to get a manager out after two games, its either tippy tappy football love in, or some weird anti forest thing.

Enzo football would be getting us nowhere, you need to let it go.  Also you speak of him as some kind of mastermind, the squad needed to have their own meeting to get us over the line last season.  The majority of games we wasnt dominant, and was quite lucky in a lot of games.

As to all the recruitment stuff, why are you blaming this on cooper? If anything it should be giving the manager sympathy with the conditions he is working under but instead you are blaming him for the clubs internal problems.

We dont need one stubborn football ideology, we need pragmatism.

the only ones who have ever claimed it's a 'forest thing' are the ones defending him and claiming he gets shit because of that, not heard anyone even hint at that having a pop at him. i was never inspired by him at all but want him to succeed but so far apart from a 25 minute window against spurs the football has been poor. i've no issue with direct football, but direct, fast counter attacking football is along way from some of the long ball pump it up and hope football we've seen so far

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, dr.o.ball said:

Absolutely, but we saw a confident team on the front foot, with a chance to go in 3 up at half time and the Championship winning team hanging on with a low block. Cooper didn't set us up that way and the players saw what a bit of pressing and belief can do in the 2nd half.

no see he did set his up that way, he set us up as a low block because he's not a competent enough coach to play anything else

• Like 3

He's been asked round for lunch and served up a shit sandwich but the early signs, including pre-season aren't good. Wish we'd gone for a bit of a punt with a more progressive manager to build on what had given the appearance of a more focussed plan regarding the playing ethos going forward 

Edited by Mike Oxlong
  • Like 4

43 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

My big concerns regarding Cooper is that he has had a full pre season schedule including a number of friendlies and yet we look at 6’s and 7’s out of possession and in possession we lack any kind of control and it all seems a bit slap dash and without any real patterns of play. In addition we seem to be very passive and intensity has been low with the exception of that 20 minute or so purple patch against Spurs. 

I have an unnerving feeling that Cooper has some genuine limitations as a coach and already the squad are sensing this hence the rumoured morale issues and now we are hearing/seeing some players are unhappy and possibly want out. 

I think the club have massively dropped the ball on this appointment and unless they address pretty quickly can only see the situation getting worse. 

The momentum, energy and confidence associated with newly promoted teams seem to have evaporated already and he is constantly talking down the squad in terms of ability and the step up, we all know this season is going to be tough but too hear the manager constantly harping on about the levels, the step up and the adjustment of a squad littered with premier league experience is becoming as draining and damaging as it was listening to Rodgers and his refresh. 

I just get the feeling that the players are witnessing the opposite to when initially Maresca started to coach them and the instant benefit s on field, they had basically a coached who coached them. And the complete opposite with Cooper, who just seems like an overall manager without any of the personnel coaching that Maresca did, where players talked about their improvements because of his coaching 

3 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

We have got a team that have played possession based football under the previous 3 managers, people suggested Cooper likes to play that type of football yet we haven’t seen any sign of that 

He suggested, and it's what the board from what we know have said they wanted. So if he doesn't provide a scrap of it, he's going to lose their faith rapidly I'd imagine. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ClaphamFox said:

Corberan always seemed the obvious choice to me - even more so than Potter. If the reports suggesting that Corberan was our first choice but we passed on him because he'd have cost £4m in compensation were correct, then you have to question our long-term planning. 

I wouldn't be shocked if it's a bit deeper than that. eg. He cost £4m, but you have to negotiate for the backroom team seperately, and then WB can hold you over a barrell. 

Or simply we fancied Cooper more, for whatever reason. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I wouldn't be shocked if it's a bit deeper than that. eg. He cost £4m, but you have to negotiate for the backroom team seperately, and then WB can hold you over a barrell. 

Or simply we fancied Cooper more, for whatever reason. 

I'd prefer to think it's the latter. If the club genuinely believed that Cooper was the best man for the job, I can live with that even though I personally disagree with it. But if it turned out that the club actually believed Corberan was a better fit but decided to go for a cheaper option instead, I'd find that very hard to stomach. 

Edited by ClaphamFox

Just now, Happy Fox said:

If Cooper was the best man for the job, he would have been appointed a long time ago! It’s clear as daylight he was our 4/5th choice.

Not much you can do about it if others turn you down, the points deduction and PSR issues clearly meant we are operating with one arm behind out backs in terms of all recruitment. 

I actually don't mind so much that Cooper's football is shite, as long as it gets results. 

With that in mind I wouldn't have cared if we had appointed a manager whose football is hideous but has a proven track record at this level of getting results i.e. a Sean Dyche or David Moyes type. 

6 hours ago, GingerrrFox said:

Despite the marmite view of him within our fan base, no one can deny that Enzo managed to get us playing in a structured way from the outset last pre-season, whether the fans agreed with that identity or not. Yet Cooper is 2 games into the season and 3 months into the job and we still look disjointed and there isn’t a clear way of how we will attack games. 

It’s quite clear to me that the players aren’t having Cooper, and the writing is on the wall for him already. It’s just a matter of time. 

My thinking is that Maresca is more of a coach and the players last year all enjoyed that with him and believed in him while Cooper is more of an overall manager who just doesn't do that kind of coaching. That's why the players look all disjointed in the last game.

6 hours ago, GingerrrFox said:

Despite the marmite view of him within our fan base, no one can deny that Enzo managed to get us playing in a structured way from the outset last pre-season, whether the fans agreed with that identity or not. Yet Cooper is 2 games into the season and 3 months into the job and we still look disjointed and there isn’t a clear way of how we will attack games. 

It’s quite clear to me that the players aren’t having Cooper, and the writing is on the wall for him already. It’s just a matter of time. 

Genuinely think he could be gone after about 6 games. Seems totally out of his depth to me. 

• Like 1