Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SecretPro

Steve Cooper: The Tactics Thread

4 hours ago, Fazzer 7 said:

I can't ever remember feeling less excited for a new season to start, frankly. 

I think all the hard work Enzo put in to create a possession based side will be very quickly undone. 

I'm not overly impressed with any of the signings that we have made so far either. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, lee7 said:

I think all the hard work Enzo put in to create a possession based side will be very quickly undone. 

I'm not overly impressed with any of the signings that we have made so far either. 

So much negativity on the forum these days. 

I'm expecting a few more incoming transfers and think that the club have done well so far with the limited budget. 

Enzo would have had his ass handed to him trying to play Pep ball in the Premier with the players we have so I'm happy that he's gone & the club is 10 mil better off.  Cooper can keep us up as long as the points deduction isn't ridiculous.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

This seems a little odd - playing that inside right position that McAteer played is basically where fatawu ended up when he was playing wide right - cutting inside onto his left foot - i can't see how it's such a different position that he would go from being great to it 'not suiting him'?

It’s starting position. Having the ability to pull away from the defender out wide and dart in with space to run into, compared to starting more centrally with not much space to drive with the ball, instead working in half spaces.

8 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

The key thing from the post match interview was (again) (i paraphrase) "we're trying some things with players until we get other players in" - so we can only hope that we'll get a creative AM and ndidi can go back to the double pivot spot.

Personally i'd rather have seen soumare there tonight. 

And you only use Daka in games where it's more open and end to end - in these games, he's useless - i think Cannon would have caused them more problems in those tight areas.

Why not try one of your creative midfielders from the academy/who you've signed Steve? 

I don't think I've been less enthused about a new manager for a long while. 

• Like 1

“It’s pre-season, it’s only pre-season” 

If I say that out loud enough will the obvious flaws in our lack of tactics go away? 

Enzo was a stubborn handsome fecker and that may have ended terribly, Burnley style but going from such a clear philosophy to a lack of intention might not be as good an idea as I was hoping for when Enzo departed.

I had concerns about Maresca tactics in this league with the crop of players we had.

I have more concerns with Coopers tactics and using the likes of Ward and Soumare. 

Dreamt last night that we lost our first game of the season 9-2. Felt sick when I woke up this morning. Never been so angry about a dream before, even when I dreamt my wife was banging someone else. 

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, lee7 said:

Bit harsh on Golding, the time he's been on the pitch he looks a real prospect

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sly said:

I had concerns about Maresca tactics in this league with the crop of players we had.

I have more concerns with Coopers tactics and using the likes of Ward and Soumare. 

Soumare played really well in the 2nd half against Shrewsbury, was a pleasant surprise, there's a player somewhere in there, just need to unlock that

2 games I've watched now and the only thing I can is Coady will be starting and captain. apart from that really not sure what we're going to be doing, seems like we've done a bit of everything, all at the same time

2 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

I’ll admit it, I’m very concerned at the moment. Cooper seems to have not done his research on the club and how Job Ruskin operates, we aren’t great at moving players on and we haven’t been for some time. Our squad is massively bloated yet Cooper is talking about needing reinforcements but the amount of turnover he is talking about realistically isn’t going to happen under our Director of football.

We’ve been told before he came, that Cooper is a great manager to bring youth through, well anyone who knows football will tell you that Nelson, Alves and Braybrooke are some of the most highly rated youngsters in English football.

Firstly, Nelson was getting games last season under Maresca and proved that he was already very good at Championship level, so what do we do, we renew Vestergaard on a 3 year deal and bring in Okoli. We’ve now got Vestergaard, Faes, Coady and Okoli blocking Nelson’s path to the first team (left Souttar out the equation as he appears to be going on loan). 

Alves is the most exciting talent to come out of Leicester’s academy in recent memory, he’s been ear marked for the top for years, the lad is pure mustard. By most accounts he’s only got 1 year left on his contract and the wolves will most definitely be circling. Can you really blame him/his advisers for not committing to a new deal, when we are absolutely screaming out for some creativity in the middle of the park yet we’ve got a manager deciding to play Ndidi as a 2nd striker and Will is getting less than 15 minutes in a pre-season game against Serie B fodder?

Sammy Braybrooke is possibly the least outrageous to not be used in pre-season but it still rages me that we’ve got an England age group captain not being used in pre-season over the likes of Hamza and Soumare. We know Hamza’s limitations and Soumare has made it pretty clear that he’d rather be anywhere else than at Leicester. Sammy is very similar to Harry Winks, so you can understand that they may not be suitable to play with each other in a double pivot but Winks played a lot of football last season and we know how good he is, does he really need to be playing big minutes in pre-season football when that time could be better spent furthering Sammy’s development?

Never mind the lad Golding coming in highly rated from Chelsea and being brought on in the 89th minute of a pre-season game. I know it’s early but I’m going on record that this ain’t gonna work out with Cooper.

Gone by Christmas do you think? 

I don't particularly like the idea that a coach is "flexible in his approach" because that just says to me that they don't have a clear philosophy of how to play. And watching the 3 friendlies so far, there definitely isn't one.  I think there are only a few things you can pick up from the games and that's that he wants one of the wingers, Mav last night, to come further inside and give support to the striker.  Last night the only threat on goal was Mav because of this, but at the same time he wasn't coming inside to play with Daka, the latter was largely nowhere to be seen when it happened.  And whether it's a personnel thing or a tactics thing we played with an industrious midfield (the nice way of saying it) 3.

That midfield can work and work to great effect if they're high energy, pressing and pressuring opponents, when out of possession and when they get the ball they can recycle it out wide and let them do the job of opening up the space and attacking. But we weren't playing with attacking, overlapping fullbacks.  Riccy P stayed back and JJ was high up but doesn't overlap Mav.  So we have not outlet. You're basically giving the ball to a winger and saying "do something magical" or to the frontman and asking him to beat the whole defence.

If we're going with the idea of an industrious mid then they need to work on pressing as a unit.  And right now, without this magical 10 or creative player (of which we'd need at least 2 for cover/competition) that's probably what Cooper should be looking to do.  Trouble is he then needs his fullbacks to be able to bomb up and down and provide an attacking threat and the that's pre-ACL Riccy. And JJ maybe for the right?

Hopefully this is all just about getting minutes in legs right now, but it doesn't bode well to me.  I'd rather be very good at a one dimensional system than chopping and changing all the time and not really knowing what we're doing from one game to the next.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, gurru991 said:

So much negativity on the forum these days. 

I'm expecting a few more incoming transfers and think that the club have done well so far with the limited budget. 

Enzo would have had his ass handed to him trying to play Pep ball in the Premier with the players we have so I'm happy that he's gone & the club is 10 mil better off.  Cooper can keep us up as long as the points deduction isn't ridiculous.

Cooper will not keep us up, he barely did with Forest despite there being 4 basket cases of clubs in the division with him.

24 minutes ago, Sly said:

Gone by Christmas do you think? 

In modern football players expect managers to have a clear vision of how the game should be played and build a team identity that they can all get behind.

Last pre-season under Enzo you instantly saw how the team were structured and his “idea” on how to attack the game, I remember watching that Liverpool game where we had that 30 minute spell, causing them some real issues and yes we ended up losing that game but we were a Championship side playing the 2nd best team in English football at that point and we looked dangerous. 

Compare that to the 2 games under Cooper against Shrewsbury and Palermo, both absolute fodder really in comparison to a Premier League side and there is no clear structure on how we are going to attack teams and score goals. So far we’ve scored from a deflected free kick and the fact we had a better athlete than a League 1 side with Kasey’s run in behind to beat the keeper. 

He’s got to build an identity and fast because we’ve got Spurs in 3 weeks who’ve spent the last 12 months building under a manager in Ange who again is another manager who has a clear identity for how his team plays and they will be a well oiled machine. 

Edited by GingerrrFox
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

In modern football players expect managers to have a clear vision of how the game should be played and build a team identity that they can all get behind.

Last pre-season under Enzo you instantly saw how the team were structured and his “idea” on how to attack the game, I remember watching that Liverpool game where we had that 30 minute spell, causing them some real issues and yes we ended up losing that game but we were a Championship side playing the 2nd best team in English football at that point and we looked dangerous. 

Compare that to the 2 games under Cooper against Shrewsbury and Palermo, both absolute fodder really in comparison to a Premier League side and there is no clear structure on how we are going to attack teams and score goals. So far we’ve scored from a deflected free kick and the fact we had a better athlete than a League 1 side with Kasey’s run in behind to beat the keeper. 

He’s got to build an identity and fast because we’ve got Spurs in 3 weeks who’ve spent the last 12 months building under a manager in Ange who again is another manager who has a clear identity for how his team plays and they will be a well oiled machine. 

don't know if anyone else agrees but what has pricked my interest and set a mini alarm bell off is Ricardo seems so far to be all out at sea 

• Like 1