Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SecretPro

Steve Cooper: The Tactics Thread

1 hour ago, Big_Nige said:

Enzo lives rent free in so many peoples head. Let’s move on. It seems every thread descends into critique of whether or not we got promoted because of him, or in spite of him. If we’d have got destroyed in the prem playing an inverted fullback, or if we’d have cut team open as we were afforded less respect

If he was still in charge I get it, but he’s not, he’s gone. Genuinely  sick of reading the same discussion done “ad nauseam” Millwall and Plymouth away were painful to watch, but it’s even more painful to keep reading about it months later

Don't forget that the enzo tactics thread was basically people moaning about rodgers' tactics for the first 3 months!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

I didn't sense that at all - as seems to be the keyword with cooper, he seems to very pragmatic about it:

It is pragmatic, but he's also being quiet explicit about the need for signings to be competitive, sounds like he's putting down a marker, which is the right thing to do.

"We're trusting each other to get the right ones in" is interesting.

2 minutes ago, dillonpanthers87 said:

It is pragmatic, but he's also being quiet explicit about the need for signings to be competitive, sounds like he's putting down a marker, which is the right thing to do.

"We're trusting each other to get the right ones in" is interesting.

Well, of course, because there really is a great need - he hasn't denied that and every man and his dog can see it.

I was questioning the OPs suggestion that he was 'clearly frustrated' by the lack of signings.  There's a difference between 'keen' or even 'impatient' and 'frustrated'. 

What is clear from his comments is that he knows the club are working hard to resolve the situation.

On 27/07/2024 at 12:26, GingerrrFox said:

Easy to do that when you’ve got some of the best players in the world at Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and Chelsea. Didn’t work out quite so well at the likes of Napoli and Everton…

Kompany was inflexible and married to a certain way of playing.

What's your point?

3 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Kompany was inflexible and married to a certain way of playing.

What's your point?

Yeah and after trying to keep up a Burnley side that was nowhere near equipped for the Premier League he’s ended up as the manager of Bayern Munich. What’s your point? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The one bit I do really wonder about is what has Cooper been given as a target for the season and his mandate as Manager, is it too keep us up at all costs, is it to be competitive and develop a team of relative younger players even if that means another season in the championship. 

The issue is dependent on whether his appointment is based on longer term targets or very much short term defined objectives will very much change his perception in regards to the use and development of younger prospects and his view on our recruitment policy. 

let’s be honest if his future employment depends on us staying up then his focus will be on safer, older, been there seen it and done it characters than being brave and putting his faith in younger more exciting players who will make lots of mistakes and need to grow. 

if cooper is playing it safe and our recruitment is fairly uninspiring it’s highly

likely the objectives he has been given, will be influencing his decision making. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lillehamring said:

Well, of course, because there really is a great need - he hasn't denied that and every man and his dog can see it.

I was questioning the OPs suggestion that he was 'clearly frustrated' by the lack of signings.  There's a difference between 'keen' or even 'impatient' and 'frustrated'. 

What is clear from his comments is that he knows the club are working hard to resolve the situation.

Cooper is a manager who demands signings from his club.  At Swansea I believe he left when he didn’t get them.  At Forest he almost always got his way (plus he ended up with quite a few players that others wanted).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

The one bit I do really wonder about is what has Cooper been given as a target for the season and his mandate as Manager, is it too keep us up at all costs, is it to be competitive and develop a team of relative younger players even if that means another season in the championship. 

The issue is dependent on whether his appointment is based on longer term targets or very much short term defined objectives will very much change his perception in regards to the use and development of younger prospects and his view on our recruitment policy. 

let’s be honest if his future employment depends on us staying up then his focus will be on safer, older, been there seen it and done it characters than being brave and putting his faith in younger more exciting players who will make lots of mistakes and need to grow. 

if cooper is playing it safe and our recruitment is fairly uninspiring it’s highly

likely the objectives he has been given, will be influencing his decision making. 

I think his brief is first and foremost to keep us up, and the rest dependent on how well we play - it would be nice to think that it's all good and we end up trying to push for a top half finish or that we could start giving time to some younger players, but realistically 100% staying up.

How he goes about it, i'm not sure if it's quite as black and white as you say - The interest in Soule for example would have been the key investment of the summer - a relatively young untested player, whilst at the same timing filling the squad with the DCR's of this world - so maybe they're trying to get some balance of youth and experience.

2 hours ago, ForestAreMagic said:

Cooper is a manager who demands signings from his club.  At Swansea I believe he left when he didn’t get them.  At Forest he almost always got his way (plus he ended up with quite a few players that others wanted).

True, but there's still no indication at this time that he is frustrated about not getting any signings.

I'm sure he'd rather be patient and get the best player available than rush someone in who doesn't work....

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

I think the target should be 50 points, its ambitious, but whats going on with the points deductions? A 50 point target allows you to push top 10 without a deduction and gives you a fighting chance of staying up with one. Something along the lines of Win draw loss all season.

• Like 1

On 28/07/2024 at 21:06, Lillehamring said:

True, but there's still no indication at this time that he is frustrated about not getting any signings.

I'm sure he'd rather be patient and get the best player available than rush someone in who doesn't work....

I think that Cooper may be more pragmatic, bringing in players, this time around. The scatter gun approach with Forest, kinda did work because they stopped up and, and didn't because there squad looked chaotic.

Personally think we have a well rounded/experienced manager with something to prove.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dr.o.ball said:

I think that Cooper may be more pragmatic, bringing in players, this time around. The scatter gun approach with Forest, kinda did work because they stopped up and, and didn't because there squad looked chaotic.

Personally think we have a well rounded/experienced manager with something to prove.

There's pragmatic and there's Jon Rudkin

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Kiss of Death said:

So best wishes in the coming season, I hope that he makes you really successful.

Kiss of Death ;)

• Like 1

Coming back over to the football threads is like dipping in the pool after an hour on the sunbeds on holiday.

So is the general consensus that Cooper will be playing a 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 variant then?

I initially thought he would go for the 3-4-2-1/3-4-3/3-4-1-2 variants due to the amount of CB’s we have and lack of quality in the middle. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, richardsfoxes said:

Feel sorry for him, I actually thought we had a plan going into this transfer window. 2 1/2 weeks before the start of the window, potentially not even a single starting 11 player signed that is different from last year, we're weaker. Joke.

Club already accepted their fate and I suspect we're in a far worse position than many would envisage. We had our time in the sun but most definitely a new era in front, one that will look familiar from our 80/early 90s days.

19 minutes ago, richardsfoxes said:

Feel sorry for him, I actually thought we had a plan going into this transfer window. 2 1/2 weeks before the start of the window, potentially not even a single starting 11 player signed that is different from last year, we're weaker. Joke.

Not looking good, especially given we haven’t even replaced KDH! we have no other attacking midfield option. Maybe playing Ndidi there is the only option lol