Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SecretPro

Steve Cooper: The Tactics Thread

Just now, StriderHiryu said:

His new tactic of getting the game called off due to bad weather when not playing well is inspired :ph34r:

Not too sure about that, this was one of a few games we had a chance of winning🥴

• Haha 1

On 30/07/2024 at 11:25, WoodyFox said:

There's pragmatic and there's Jon Rudkin

Did you read the Rob Tanner article? If there's one thing that can be said about him and that's that he....

Oh, wait, you were just making a Rudkin joke - you're so cool.

On 30/07/2024 at 13:58, Kiss of Death said:

Forest fan here. I'm sure he would. At Forest it was ridiculous the number of players coming in, and many of them did not seem to be players he wanted. He was then left with the job of having an almost completely different team to the one he had brought up plus a new team of reserves and hangers on. He was then expected to make these into a successful team in the season which all of the critics said was impossible, but he managed it. The following season he had to do it all again.

I think that his preference would be to bring in a few young players and develop them. If you have the right players he will play an attacking style. If you don't then he will try being defensive with sudden attacking breaks.

If you let him then he'll probably make you feel better about the team than you've been for a long time. I think he's a great choice, I'd love him back here.

So best wishes in the coming season, I hope that he makes you really successful.

Funnily enough, in the two games we've seen so far - that's exactly what we've seen - one game of each.

Unfortunately, the 'attacking style' didn't result in much in the way of final ball/end product - but it was clear that he has options to play different ways - although in this case i think it was more a result of the qualities/style of play of the opponents, than the players he has available.

12 hours ago, Muzzy_no7 said:

Coming back over to the football threads is like dipping in the pool after an hour on the sunbeds on holiday.

So is the general consensus that Cooper will be playing a 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 variant then?

I initially thought he would go for the 3-4-2-1/3-4-3/3-4-1-2 variants due to the amount of CB’s we have and lack of quality in the middle. 

The general consensus is split:

1. We haven't seen enough to know what he's going to do, it's all a bit strange.

2. He's sh!t, he hasn't got a clue, he has no tactics, forget about a plan B , he doesn't even have a plan A.   

17 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

His new tactic of getting the game called off due to bad weather when not playing well is inspired :ph34r:

Well this time last year we had a melt down about how the club sent us to play in a monsoon, so it's probably safe to say this is John Rudkin's fault.

22 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

Well this time last year we had a melt down about how the club sent us to play in a monsoon, so it's probably safe to say this is John Rudkin's fault.

Jon Rudkin’s a weatherman

a weatherman 

a weatherman 

Jon Rudkin’s a weatherman 

and so is Michael Fish 

Yes it's about Chelsea, but the first few minutes of this video eloquently sum up much of what I showed off in the tactics thread last season.

This will be useful to compare to what Cooper is and isn't doing, more of which will be posted after tomorrow's game.

Why? 

After watching the friendlies so far I'm with you on being baffled.  However if his plan with a 4231 is to have a deep defence, the mid 2 sitting deep and the front 4 all pacey for the break, given this season everyone will play to beat us not sit back, then Mav, Fats, Daka/Vards and the possible inclusion of Asprilla or currently DCR operating through the middle could get a lot of joy playing counter attacking football.

• Like 1

When we first got Cooper the idea that he would be more pragmatic made me think it was a decent appointment, setting us up in such a way to get the best out of our best players rather than forcing them into a system that doesn't work

I was wrong

This system with Mavididi coming inside and Kristiansen being our left winger is not it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He's a really poor appointment. The one thing I was willing to support him because of, he's shown precious little interest in doing. 

Get him gone.

Give the bloke at least 10 games.

I was very anti he's appointment, but you have to give any manager a chance.

I know you are frustrated about Alves but all the lines up would decided before this week and training would have been built around it. Alves would have got a good run out last Tuesday without the rain.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He's a really poor appointment. The one thing I was willing to support him because of, he's shown precious little interest in doing. 

Get him gone.

I assume you're talking about promoting youth? If so i'm with you on that one, it feels like he's doing a Rodgers and not giving Golding or Alves a proper runout to make it look like we have fewer options than we do in order to force through transfers.

• Like 2

Watching the last few friendlies I’m struggling to see what his tactics or plans are? I was hoping he would have been braver especially during friendlies to try new things and also give younger ones a chance, but today was dire. 

• Like 3

Just now, moore_94 said:

Ric or Cooper?

Cooper. Ric is right, he’s got a record of working with young players in football and he’s shown **** all appetite to do it here in pre-season. I don’t know if not using Alves or Golding is a tactic to force the clubs hand on transfers but both of their potential is being stagnated by him. 

• Like 1