Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SecretPro

Steve Cooper: The Tactics Thread

26 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Perfect assessment that. 

I also think Jordan Blackwell has hit the nail on the head in the Mercury too, agree pretty much with every point he’s made.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/steve-cooper-ricardo-pereira-problem-9459171

Starting Ricardo at LB/LWB is a solution that needs trying. While we also need a different alternative to Ndidi in midfield, especially if Cooper isn’t keen on playing Ricardo there. 

I think we we need a dynamic left foot FB who has pace and can bet a man, bit like Gosens when he was on form a few year 

I'm not sure Ricardo would be much better on the left.

7 minutes ago, JimJams said:

I don't think the solution is putting a predominantly right footed right back on the left in support of a guy being tasked with coming further inside.  We call that "Southgating".

And that’s why I’d rather see a different setup when in possession, 4-3-3 like the first half against Palermo would at least get Ricardo in at RB. 

But unfortunately if Cooper wants to stick with the three at the back scenario, Ricardo at LB/LWB is something he may try. 

8 minutes ago, kingfox said:

And that’s why I’d rather see a different setup when in possession, 4-3-3 like the first half against Palermo would at least get Ricardo in at RB. 

But unfortunately if Cooper wants to stick with the three at the back scenario, Ricardo at LB/LWB is something he may try. 

God I hope not.

5 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

I think we we need a dynamic left foot FB who has pace and can bet a man, bit like Gosens when he was on form a few year 

I'm not sure Ricardo would be much better on the left.

Thoroughly agree, dynamic is the perfect word to use. Kristiansen just isn’t dynamic enough in certain aspects, I think Ricardo would do the role better, but off the left isn’t ideal. If you stick with this system though and put him on the right, then Cooper will be inverting Fatawu as a 10 and probably tweaking Mavididi’s role too. Too many square pegs in round holes type crap. 

Cooper needs to decide on Ricardo’s role ASAP, I don’t want to go into the new season where he keeps experimenting with Ricardo’s role as well as others, things could end up seriously messy. 

Are the club seriously telling me that Stinky Winky is the only manager we could attract?  

No one else wanted it?  Even the lad from West Brom has a style of play. 

Stinky Winky hasn’t got a clue. He looks so defeated all the time. 

I’m really not looking forward to this season at all. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ozvaldo said:

Are the club seriously telling me that Stinky Winky is the only manager we could attract?  

Not much point paying £6m odd for an unproven manager in the situation we are in in my opinion.

But otherwise, I’d suspect plenty saw us as dead certs for relegation which is why we could only attract Cooper.

42 minutes ago, ozvaldo said:

Corberan didn’t even leave with the problems the Baggies have at the minute 😂

Cooper has the pedigree and experience to turn this around against all  call odds.

Good connections with the England youth set up and successes along with the contacts from managing Liverpools academy.If he manages to keep us up ot will be despite the higher regime.

This is a huge 2 weeks ahead of Spurs. I don't really understand what Cooper is trying to do. 

I get the feeling he's deploying a system and style that the club want him to play, which might be sensible if that's the best use of the squad in a pragmatic sense. However, if that's not the best fit or not the one that the manager knows how to implement the best then you risk being so passive.

I'm concerned we aren't going to get the required bodies in, which renders this way of playing extremely futile. We will need to be more direct and more aggressive. Do we even have the players for that? Debatable but if we're going to be pitiful at defending and attacking set pieces as well then it's curtains for us.

Plenty to do, I feel like we'll be giving many teams a head start with the lack of surgery to the squad in time for the start of the season and then the likely points deduction still to come as well. 

This is going to be about as enjoyable as watching morris dancing.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, brownfox said:

Surely there is some tech savvy people on here who can compile a YouTube compilation video of “the best bits” and start an advertising campaign! 

Sure. Happy to help.

Here's a compilation of Soumare's "Best Bits" for KPFC.

c04131ed-420e-459a-a569-79de90e9a6d0.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

This is a huge 2 weeks ahead of Spurs. I don't really understand what Cooper is trying to do. 

I get the feeling he's deploying a system and style that the club want him to play, which might be sensible if that's the best use of the squad in a pragmatic sense. However, if that's not the best fit or not the one that the manager knows how to implement the best then you risk being so passive.

I'm concerned we aren't going to get the required bodies in, which renders this way of playing extremely futile. We will need to be more direct and more aggressive. Do we even have the players for that? Debatable but if we're going to be pitiful at defending and attacking set pieces as well then it's curtains for us.

Plenty to do, I feel like we'll be giving many teams a head start with the lack of surgery to the squad in time for the start of the season and then the likely points deduction still to come as well. 

I’m becoming less confident that we’ll get the players we need in before Spurs. You only need to listen to the growing desperation in Cooper’s post-match comments to understand that the club is struggling to get deals over the line. This means we’ll probably be heavily reliant on last-minute purchases of players who didn’t get their preferred moves and the loan market. This in turn will ultimately mean our squad includes more wildcards, and fewer original targets, than we hoped for. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Supping fine ale on a warm summers evening in a country pub beer garden while watching a group of men smash shit out of each other with sticks and bells is very enjoyable. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The reality check is when he said we'd like to improve the starting line up but if we can't then more competition is needed. ie more duffers to pad the squad. 

Anyone expecting our starting line up to improve from what it is now is going to be disappointed.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

This is a huge 2 weeks ahead of Spurs. I don't understand what Cooper is trying to do. 

That's my concerned too, it seem is the club wanted a manager willing to carry on similar system, he use a different way to get there with the fullback but that seems to be the plan. 

We don't have the fullbacks with the right attributes to push up and become a winger in possession, you need some dynamic who can beat a man and provide 7 or 8 assists from that area, which is coming from VK, Ricardo or Justin.  

If we are going to make this system work we need a new forward, at least 1 ACM if not 2, and a rampaging left full back who can play the FB come Left winger role. 

With our current squad options, I would go for a counter attacking 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3.

SC showed at Forest he was willing to be  change mid-season, only hope is we aren't cut a drift by that stage.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

That's my concerned too, it seem is the club wanted a manager willing to carry on similar system, he use a different way to get there with the fullback but that seems to be the plan. 

We don't have the fullbacks with the right attributes to push up and become a winger in possession, you need some dynamic who can beat a man and provide 7 or 8 assists from that area, which is coming from VK, Ricardo or Justin.  

If we are going to make this system work we need a new forward, at least 1 ACM if not 2, and a rampaging left full back who can play the FB come Left winger role. 

With our current squad options, I would go for a counter attacking 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3.

SC showed at Forest he was willing to be  change mid-season, only hope is we aren't cut a drift by that stage.

I don't understand why Cooper seems to be forcing this when we have an ideal player in Ricardo to invert and the rest of the players around him are used to it too, now. 

3 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I don't understand why Cooper seems to be forcing this when we have an ideal player in Ricardo to invert and the rest of the players around him are used to it too, now. 

I think he wants Ndidi in as a 6 as extra protection for the back 3 rather than at 8 like Enzo and the a more attack 8.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1

For me the Enzo method don't work in the premier league for us. He needs to throw that out and play football his way.

We're really good on the counter, saw that last season and that was one of our good strengths

4 minutes ago, HarryDee8 said:

For me the Enzo method don't work in the premier league for us. He needs to throw that out and play football his way.

We're really good on the counter, saw that last season and that was one of our good strengths

But how do you counter? That suggests giving the ball to the oppositon and playing a low congestion block for 80 mins out of 90. Half the Premier league teams are very good at eventually unlocking that type of setup. The rest not as good. Quite a gamble.

10 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

John? Didn’t know he was a mean mover as well as a super agent and Rudders chief advisor 😂

20 hours ago, ozvaldo said:

He's won a world cup at youth level and won promotion playing good football. That's more than Corberan has done. 

• Like 1