Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SecretPro

Steve Cooper: The Tactics Thread

7 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

It's a guess based on the evidence we had of a full season, you're right we will never know, all we can do is make educated predictions. It's fine to say to say you prefer Enzo's way, right now I agree most probably would given how poor we have been, but again, that's hindsight. Enzo had major flaws as a manager that most thought would be exploited, and Chelsea have been a bomb scare in pre season. The sniping is coming from people who are saying things like "Yeah for all you people who wanted enzo out what do you have to say now huh??!!?!" or words to that effect, that's just pointless sniping and it's disingenuous, I saw maybe 5 people maximum who wanted Cooper as their #1 choice, and the reasons given were legitimate reasons and well-argued. Many fans didn't WANT him but accepted him and got behind him because of his record with young players and his pragmatism, which most fans wanted. 

It's easy to forget but 10 games before the end of the season the fanbase was majority Enzo out mid-season, or at least Enzo out after the season conclusion, they were for reasons that had nothing to do with Cooper. 
Again, this idea that a premier league manager who had kept a team up, and was on track to keep them up again despite the club being in a transfer mess, didn't have a plan is just ridiculous, every single manager in this division has a "plan", some are just easier to understand, Enzo's system is really clear because he refuses to change it even when it's not working, you can't miss his plan, that doesn't mean that someone like Ten Haag doesn't have one because it's less obvious. Pragmatism in approach to your opponent is in itself a plan. 

Again, it's not about saying we can't compare what we have now to what we had before, it's about the subtle digs that Enzo fans are now taking to anyone who wanted him to leave on the basis of hindsight, it's pointless. Barely any of us wanted Cooper as our first choice, but that doesn't delegitimise wanting Enzo to move on. Criticise Cooper all you want he deserves to be criticised for his pre-season performance in charge of us, because whether we are short on player quality, he's obviously made our existing players play worse so far. But don't use that to snipe at fans. 

I think there’s an element of the big supporters of Enzo/Enzoball are desperate for him to fail - so they can say the things you have mentioned.

They have jumped on him at the 1st opportunity.

4 hours ago, funkyrobot said:

I think the point is it’s way better to have a stubborn coach in Enzo with a detailed Plan A identity and no Plan B that can work to an extent with the cards he’s been dealt and develop an existing player (e.g Ricardo) to fit that stubborn plan, than a coach in Cooper that appears to have no Plan A whatsoever and is expecting mythical new signings as his ONLY solution to the problem. 

It's also just not realistic to expect a team without the very best manager and players to be able to switch between a variety of markedly different styles and be equally good at executing all of them. I can't ever remember seeing a team whose tactical setup completely changed from week to week depending on their opponent. Unless you have enormous wealth and pulling power the natural end point of the sort of "pragmatism" people want is a team that lacks any sort of coherent identity and, rather than trying to focus on doing one thing really well, ends up doing lots of different things not very well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

The massive difference between Rafa and Cooper is Cooper's determination to win over fans and be loved. 

Martin O'Neill was synonymous with Forest. Wes Morgan was. There's a few that have had to win us over and weren't liked initially. O'Neill got pure hatred and Morgan was labelled a competition winning donkey for months. 

He can absolutely win us over but he's not been given the best chance by those above. 

I agree but going into this PL season we need everything and everyone pulling in the right direction.

He's not blameless continual playing players out if position and ignoring the club local talent isn't going to win him many fans.

No one can argue the performance in pre-season haven't been horrendous.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Guest said:

It's also just not realistic to expect a team without the very best manager and players to be able to switch between a variety of markedly different styles and be equally good at executing all of them. I can't ever remember seeing a team whose tactical setup completely changed from week to week depending on their opponent. Unless you have enormous wealth and pulling power the natural end point of the sort of "pragmatism" people want is a team that lacks any sort of coherent identity and, rather than trying to focus on doing one thing really well, ends up doing lots of different things not very well.

To some extent I would agree, we do seem to be changing systems rapidly, under Cooper forest would change formation but the general principles of player were not miles apart, they seem to have just changed the positioning on the pitch to try to nullify opponents strengths, so far in pre-season we haven't really had any consistent style, and the changing of player positions has not really worked. This is the time to experiment, but usually you'd expect us to have some sort of system in place as a foundation that you tweak, it has felt like Cooper doesn't yet know what he he wants to do, and although criticism may be harsh because we are 4 friendly matches into his tenure, it's undeniably concerning. I'm far less confident in Steve Cooper now than I was before we kicked a ball. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

It's a guess based on the evidence we had of a full season, you're right we will never know, all we can do is make educated predictions. It's fine to say to say you prefer Enzo's way, right now I agree most probably would given how poor we have been, but again, that's hindsight. Enzo had major flaws as a manager that most thought would be exploited, and Chelsea have been a bomb scare in pre season. The sniping is coming from people who are saying things like "Yeah for all you people who wanted enzo out what do you have to say now huh??!!?!" or words to that effect, that's just pointless sniping and it's disingenuous, I saw maybe 5 people maximum who wanted Cooper as their #1 choice, and the reasons given were legitimate reasons and well-argued. Many fans didn't WANT him but accepted him and got behind him because of his record with young players and his pragmatism, which most fans wanted. 

It's easy to forget but 10 games before the end of the season the fanbase was majority Enzo out mid-season, or at least Enzo out after the season conclusion, they were for reasons that had nothing to do with Cooper. 
Again, this idea that a premier league manager who had kept a team up, and was on track to keep them up again despite the club being in a transfer mess, didn't have a plan is just ridiculous, every single manager in this division has a "plan", some are just easier to understand, Enzo's system is really clear because he refuses to change it even when it's not working, you can't miss his plan, that doesn't mean that someone like Ten Haag doesn't have one because it's less obvious. Pragmatism in approach to your opponent is in itself a plan. 

Again, it's not about saying we can't compare what we have now to what we had before, it's about the subtle digs that Enzo fans are now taking to anyone who wanted him to leave on the basis of hindsight, it's pointless. Barely any of us wanted Cooper as our first choice, but that doesn't delegitimise wanting Enzo to move on. Criticise Cooper all you want he deserves to be criticised for his pre-season performance in charge of us, because whether we are short on player quality, he's obviously made our existing players play worse so far. But don't use that to snipe at fans. 

I’m not sniping at any fans. I’m just laying out facts based on what we’ve seen under Enzo and under Cooper. I personally wasn’t wanting Enzo to leave and I don’t think the majority of fans outside of social media actually did, particularly if they knew who the next manager was going to be when he did leave. 

The best, most successful managers have a game plan and a game plan that will earn positive results. Cooper hasn’t actually been pragmatic in his approach. He just hasn’t been anything. His LCFC team have combined the conceding of lots of chances whilst created virtually no chances. That’s definitely not being pragmatic!! 

• Like 1

Just now, cityfanlee23 said:

To some extent I would agree, we do seem to be changing systems rapidly, under Cooper forest would change formation but the general principles of player were not miles apart, they seem to have just changed the positioning on the pitch to try to nullify opponents strengths, so far in pre-season we haven't really had any consistent style, and the changing of player positions has not really worked. This is the time to experiment, but usually you'd expect us to have some sort of system in place as a foundation that you tweak, it has felt like Cooper doesn't yet know what he he wants to do, and although criticism may be harsh because we are 4 friendly matches into his tenure, it's undeniably concerning. I'm far less confident in Steve Cooper now than I was before we kicked a ball. 

Yeah my concern is the regular changes he would make at Forest could be interpreted as him being flexible and adaptable, but it could also just as easily be him not really having any idea what he's doing and just throwing shit at the wall until something sticks. I can imagine us taking a few batterings early on while chopping and changing and then going full damage limitation 5 at the back everyone behind the ball for the rest of the season, which I can't see keeping us up or being at all pleasant to watch.

Just now, funkyrobot said:

I’m not sniping at any fans. I’m just laying out facts based on what we’ve seen under Enzo and under Cooper. I personally wasn’t wanting Enzo to leave and I don’t think the majority of fans outside of social media actually did, particularly if they knew who the next manager was going to be when he did leave. 

The best, most successful managers have a game plan and a game plan that will earn positive results. Cooper hasn’t actually been pragmatic in his approach. He just hasn’t been anything. His LCFC team have combined the conceding of lots of chances whilst created virtually no chances. That’s definitely not being pragmatic!! 

No, sorry just to clarify i'm not suggesting for a moment that you were, but the original comment I replied to seemed to be taking a subtle dig by randomly referencing all the fans that wanted Enzo gone as if it's somehow our fault that the club appointed Cooper. But I'm not for a second saying you were sniping. 
Also I would give you some credit on the social media point, it's often hard to really gauge what the fans want apart from social media, most fans on social media wanted Rodgers gone 10 games into the season we went down, but in the ground they were mostly supportive of him from what I'd seen, so it is difficult to gauge. 
Yes I agree Cooper hasn't been pragmatic so far, but we couldn't have known that until he took charge, prior to taking charge he had a pretty evidenced record of being pragmatic, which is what most teams trying to fight survival need, that's not to say having a strong Plan A system can't work, but I think most of the fans who wanted Enzo to leave thought that his particular plan would not work without significant investment, and without that investment he would continue to force us to play that way and ultimately it would cost us, but I agree that's just a prediction. 

Did I really read that you can’t compare Enzo’s pre-season coaching ability to Cooper’s?

That’s madness - it’s the only fair comparison that you can make as anything else is all prediction based.

Enzo as a manager (tactical awareness mid game etc) was a novice but his coaching is at elite levels, Cooper on the other hand is far from it and that is evident from his pre-season showings.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

Did I really read that you can’t compare Enzo’s pre-season coaching ability to Cooper’s?

That’s madness - it’s the only fair comparison that you can make as anything else is all prediction based.

Enzo as a manager (tactical awareness mid game etc) was a novice but his coaching is at elite levels, Cooper on the other hand is far from it and that is evident from his pre-season showings.

No, you didn't read that. 

33 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Edited by cityfanlee23

I need to take a deeper dive into this and look at the actual statistics of each match, but a brief look at Coopers 2x pre-seasons at Forest in the Premier League both threw up multiple mixed/poor results. In 18 pre season games in charge of Forest: W5 D4 L9. They failed to score in 8 of those matches. Obviously both of those pre-seasons were stronger than our 4 game stint this season. 
22/23:
image.png.78de621e9fda44c3cb4cc6421cc9bb1b.png

23/24: 
image.png.2f152d41c811d82456604cd0647056fe.png

1 hour ago, SafewayFox said:

Also want is concerning is Cooper doesn’t seem to be making many positive in game changes, which was levelled at Enzo, from what we have witnessed to date, Cooper is a massive downgrade on Enzo, and whilst we have a KDH shaped hole in our side that doesn’t excuse what has been a very poor pre season in terms of results and performances. 

Cooper is struggling and I think his comments regarding recruitment and the need for bodies, whilst we would welcome some reinforcements, it is also being used to deflect from a man who already looks devoid of enthusiasm, energy and ideas. 

• Like 1

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/how-leicester-city-deserted-identity-9474388

How Leicester City deserted their identity as duo's bewildering omissions raises questions
Analysis from Leicester City's 3-0 loss to Lens, looking at the performance, the starting line-up, Ricardo Pereira and Stephy Mavididi's omissions, out-of-position players, and more

ByJordan Blackwell
11:20, 11 AUG 2024

Leicester City know pre-season results don’t matter. Last summer, they lost their final summer friendly 4-0 to Liverpool and yet still won the Championship.

However, performances do matter. City took heart and positivity from the loss to Jurgen Klopp’s side. There were moments in the game that showed they were on the right path. They took confidence into the start of the competitive season.

While the scoreline at Lens on Saturday was not quite as bad, the mood could not be more different. City were outclassed in every aspect of the game. Even for optimists, there was nothing to cling on to.

Lens scored three and could have had more from their 17 efforts on goal. For City, the starting 11 had not scored a single pre-season goal between them and at no point did that look like changing. They mustered just two shots, both from outside the area. Even the club’s own 12-minute highlight package did not feature a single City attack.

When City lost to Liverpool, there was a clear identity on display. That enthused supporters, players, and staff alike. The plan was plain to see.

In the aftermath of City’s defeat to Lens, fans have questioned whether Steve Cooper has a plan he’s working to, or an identity he is trying to build. Take the match in isolation and that’s understandable.

But in previous pre-season games, the idea was there. They are attacking in the same shape as last season, tweaking the system slightly to have a full-back move forward to the wing instead of into midfield. They are building up with the same methodical play, working it forward from a back three. They had just lacked creativity and threat in the final third.

So it would be unfair to say they don’t have an identity. The problem at Lens was they were either not good enough to carry it out, deserted the plan too readily, or a mixture of both.

Lens hunted in packs and City could not cope with their press. Under pressure near their own box, City launched aimless balls forward. It meant they enjoyed just 37 per cent of the possession, gifting the ball back to Lens for them to build attack after attack. City very rarely completed passes in the opponent’s half.

Cooper’s forthright assessment suggested City’s hoofs up the pitch were not part of his instruction to the players. He said after the match: “In terms of the performance, there was nothing good about our in-possession game. There was no doubt about that. The game demanded a much more intense in-possession game than what we gave.”

So while it did feel like Lens’ press forced them to play in such a way, it also feels unimaginable that they would react how they did if they had been playing under Enzo Maresca. His stubbornness and commitment to the idea would have seen City players look for the short pass to feet even if surrounded by three Lens players. There may have been more mistakes at the back, but they may also have progressed up the pitch more often.

Whether City lacked the quality to carry out the plan, abandoned it too quickly, or both, none of it bodes well. The final result is the same: they will head into the Premier League campaign sapped of morale and confidence.

Dress rehearsal line-up fails to inspire
This was the dress rehearsal and so the side fielded by Cooper could have been the one he had in mind for Tottenham. If so, what have we learned?

Conor Coady’s injury at centre-back paved the way for a new partnership in Wout Faes and Caleb Okoli, but how long that will last remains to be seen. If Coady’s not available, it feels like Jannik Vestergaard needs to be in the side, City craving a defender with vision and passing ability.

It still feels like City need a ball-player next to Harry Winks. Hamza Choudhury was the latest to be paired with the former Spurs midfielder, and just as with Wilfred Ndidi and Boubakary Soumare, it didn’t work. Between the two of them, they did not provide an outlet for the defenders, leading to some of those launched balls.

Victor Kristiansen still doesn’t feel like the right fit for this team. Even with more space in behind in which to stretch his legs, the Dane did not have an impact from an attacking perspective.

Ndidi lacked composure in attacking midfield, as did Bobby De Cordova-Reid, despite some promising moments the weekend before. Patson Daka was isolated up front.

Perhaps this was not the 11 Cooper plans to use against Tottenham, and instead was just another 90 minutes in which to allow players to build fitness. But that feels detrimental to the cause.

Yes, players need to be fit, but they also need to understand their roles in the team and build chemistry with their team-mates. They need to learn the runs they make and the passes they play. If this was not the line-up Cooper intends to name a week on Monday, then City will have learned less than they ought to.

Ricardo and Mavididi omissions prompt questions
Speculation over whether this is the team Cooper has at the forefront of his mind for Spurs persists because of some of the big names he left on the bench. For supporters, it would be odd to leave out Stephy Mavididi when the team craves attacking threat, and it would be almost unfathomable to omit Ricardo Pereira given his quality.

That’s now two games in a row that Ricardo has not started and while he didn’t enjoy the best of outings against Palermo, one poor showing should not be enough to have him dropped, especially when the team is struggling.

The picture remains the same as it did after the defeat to Augsburg. It feels like Ricardo either needs to play next to Winks so they can resume their partnership from last season, or he needs to play as the attacking full-back, where he can help the frontline with his dribbling ability and interplay in tight spaces. Surely there has to be a role for him in this team.

Mavididi has been City’s best attacking player this pre-season and his omission from the starting line-up at Lens is intriguing, particularly amid interest in Wilfried Zaha. They both play in the same position but City’s long-time tormentor has Premier League pedigree. The club would not be signing Zaha for him to sit on the bench, and so perhaps Mavididi’s place among the substitutes was in preparation for where he may find himself at the start of the campaign.

It would be harsh on Mavididi if that were the case, but harsh decisions have to be made if City are to stay up. However, if there are no winger signings before next Monday, it would be a little bewildering if Mavididi was still sitting on the bench.

Benefits of out-of-position players minimal
Cooper’s frustration over transfers has been bubbling away throughout pre-season and he appears to be showing more impatience as the days go by. Facundo Buonanotte became City’s fifth signing of the window ahead of the game at Lens, but came in three weeks after the club’s previous arrival. The Argentinian attacking midfielder operates in a position City have long been short in, and Cooper seemed to be asking what has taken so long.

“We’re all crying out for some fresh blood,” he said. “Let’s hope we can strengthen sooner rather than later. In certain areas of the pitch, we’re desperate for it and have been for a while.”

City have financial constraints to deal with, and that slows business. But they have been aware of where they needed new recruits for a while, especially in attacking midfield, knowing Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall had to be sold.

Cooper has said the lack of signings has forced him to play players out of position in pre-season, giving them minutes in areas they won’t feature during the competitive campaign. But that was still a choice. He didn’t have to do that.

If Ndidi is not going to play as an attacking midfielder this term, why not give Will Alves a proper chance? Playing Ndidi further forward so that Choudhury can get minutes and build his fitness works as a plan if Ndidi gets injured, as then Choudhury can come into the team and is in a better place to hit the ground running.

But what if Buonanotte picks up an injury? Does Alves not need game-time so that he might be able to come into the team? Equally, should Tom Cannon, as the only fit striker left, not be coming on for the injured Daka, rather than Mavididi?

When players are used out of position, they do learn. There will be titbits they pick up about how their team-mate has to play and that may help their game going forward, but that still feels like a less effective way to improve the team than simply putting players in the positions they will play when the real thing kicks off.

Shellshocked or alert to the situation? Monday will answer
Cooper’s one positive was that the game can be a wake-up call, and it’s better to have such an alarming moment when there aren’t any points on the line. He told his players that Spurs would be even tougher, and so they needed to buck up their ideas sharpish.

Now the City players may respond. But they could also be left shellshocked. They’ve just been comprehensively beaten by the seventh-best French side and told it only gets more difficult from here.

It will take a lot of determination and self-belief from the players to not be overawed by the task they face. They came through periods of adversity last season. Hopefully, those will leave them in a better place to tackle what, right now, looks like being a nine-month slog for survival.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Lcfc82 said:

I think there’s an element of the big supporters of Enzo/Enzoball are desperate for him to fail - so they can say the things you have mentioned.

They have jumped on him at the 1st opportunity.

He's destined to fail for a variety of reasons;

- He's clearly not being supported or backed by the club - the 3rd* manager in a row who has experienced this.

- The Forest link.

- The reason you have given.

The latter 2 reasons I gave means he won't be afforded any time whatsoever by those who have those issues.

*I include Rodgers in those 3 begrudgingly because he was backed (heavily, regardless what the media, friends and fans of him will have you believe), he was given the keys to the club, up until his final year, but that's where the powers that be should have put their big boy pants on and sacked him way before the mess ensued.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

I agree but going into this PL season we need everything and everyone pulling in the right direction.

He's not blameless continual playing players out if position and ignoring the club local talent isn't going to win him many fans.

No one can argue the performance in pre-season haven't been horrendous.

Agreed but if this place has taught me anything it's our fans are very rarely right about any new manager or new signing.

Every single legend we've had in the last 30 years wasn't fancied when they come here. Managers and players.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

Agreed but if this place has taught me anything it's our fans are very rarely right about any new manager or new signing.

Every single legend we've had in the last 30 years wasn't fancied when they come here. Managers and players.

I've found the more hype on here surrounding a signing, they usually turn out to be underwhelming, pretty awful or even an outright failure.

Edited by Matt
  • Thanks 1

Last season I would post tons of GIFS with analysis of tactics in our matches. I always try to up my game so this season, I am trying to make videos! Let's see how it goes.

Luke from LCFCDownUnder and I review preseason, trying to objectively identify what did and didn't work. I'll warn you that it's rather negative, but we try to call what we saw and reason what we think could be done to improve things.

In summary:

• Changed the attacking setup for the worse
  • Using the wrong players for the wrong positions
  • Player positioning all over the place
  • Awful pressing
  • Poor build-up

I try and show real examples with comparisons to the team just 4 months ago in the video.

Probably not the best season to launch a YouTube channel given our incredible perfomances so far :nigel:!

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Last season I would post tons of GIFS with analysis of tactics in our matches. I always try to up my game so this season, I am trying to make videos! Let's see how it goes.

Luke from LCFCDownUnder and I review preseason, trying to objectively identify what did and didn't work. I'll warn you that it's rather negative, but we try to call what we saw and reason what we think could be done to improve things.

In summary:

• Awful pressing
  • Poor build-up

I try and show real examples with comparisons to the team just 4 months ago in the video.

Probably not the best season to launch a YouTube channel given our incredible perfomances so far :nigel:!

That is pretty damning, I can see a Vardy led player power meeting with Top to remove Cooper in pretty quick time, the results and performances have progressively worsened the longer he has worked with the players. 

I wouldn’t be shocked to see us 3-0 by half time next Monday night and all the hope and positivity from last season completely sapped away. 

5 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

That is pretty damning, I can see a Vardy led player power meeting with Top to remove Cooper in pretty quick time, the results and performances have progressively worsened the longer he has worked with the players. 

I wouldn’t be shocked to see us 3-0 by half time next Monday night and all the hope and positivity from last season completely sapped away. 

Luke mentioned in the video a few times that the body language of the players is awful. You see it in day-to-day jobs all the time where a team dislikes their manager / leader. Harry Winks is the most telling for me, he's still acting as professionally as he can, but compare his body language to when we lifted the trophy and it couldn't be more different.

For me the worst thing about the Lens game was the pressing. It was absolutely hopeless. After we recorded Luke asked if I was trying to catch him out because when he watched our pressing he was thinking "what pressing is he talking about?" Which is sadly the point I was trying to make. One player running to press leaving 2 open passing lanes simply tires that player out and takes a man out of the defensive block. This is suicidal play in the Premier League.

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

This is what I should use for the video summary description lol

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Harry Winks is the most telling for me, he's still acting as professionally as he can, but compare his body language to when we lifted the trophy and it couldn't be more different.

Do you think you might be over analysing this, you are comparing a player playing in a game that lost 3-0 after 2 previous defeats with him celebrating winning the league?

Analysis from Dominic Wells - this quote stood out for me - said this before, I think this squad is used to being told what to do and Cooper’s attempt to empower the team isn’t working:

One of those is within the structure vs. freedom approach, the Welshman has spoken on providing a foundation for players to have the “ability to make their own decisions”.

https://medium.com/@dominic.wells24/doms-comms-week-11-preseason-ef822d9a5929

6 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Do you think you might be over analysing this, you are comparing a player playing in a game that lost 3-0 after 2 previous defeats with him celebrating winning the league?

Perhaps, but the worry is that he's looked like this in all of our games so far...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

In summary:

• Awful pressing
  • Poor build-up

Great video mate. Really appreciate your analysis 👏 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1