Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SecretPro

Steve Cooper: The Tactics Thread

I hate vertical videos, but that's what popular with the kids these days :teehee:

Cooper's changes to our system have led to an incredibly poor press that is going to create a lot more problems than it solves:

• Not committing enough people forward to press (4 men up instead of 5 last season)
  • Not pressing in packs
  • Too slow to press
  • Poor pressing triggers
  • Passing lanes not blocked
  • Easy to play around the press and take players out of the game so they can't defend

A recurring theme against Lens was that our ineffective press tired our own players out and created gaps for opposition teams to work in. Best example from the above clip is Abdul Fatawu running 20 yards to press by himself, just for the Lens goalkeeper to easily pass it around him and take him out of the game.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 1

On 10/08/2024 at 20:51, It'sblueupnorth said:

Mental how ndidi is playing as an attacking mid, what is that about 

****ing ridiculous. We've completely killed him as a player. He was great as a destroyer and we seem to be obsessed with making him something he isn't. Keep him there doing that job, what he's good at. We should've released 100% if this bullshit is the plan for him.

None of this is pragmatic. Pragmatic implies there's some sense behind it even if it's not aesthetically pleasing. This is just complete rubbish, it's how I'd manage Forest if I got the job.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

I hate vertical videos, but that's what popular with the kids these days :teehee:

Cooper's changes to our system have led to an incredibly poor press that is going to create a lot more problems than it solves:

• Not committing enough people forward to press (4 men up instead of 5 last season)
  • Not pressing in packs
  • Too slow to press
  • Poor pressing triggers
  • Easy to play around the press and take players out of the game so they can't defend

A recurring theme against Lens was that our ineffective press tired our own players out and created gaps for opposition teams to work in. Best example from the above clip is Abdul Fatawu running 20 yards to press by himself, just for the Lens goalkeeper to easily pass it around him and take him out of the game.

As Ralph Rangnick so famously said  either everyone presses or no-one presses.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

• Not pressing in packs
  • Too slow to press
  • Poor pressing triggers

If we can see it, surely Cooper can too, and surely the players are thinking "it worked better last season when we pressed in greater number?"

It sounds like simple fixes, but ones we must make BEFORE the season starts in a few days.

• Like 2

I did a live stream earlier today with Leicester Till I Die about pre-season:

https://www.youtube.com/live/eEgl33W5wS4?si=EIUEN-BvBz8ahbBK

Pretty similar material to the last video, but I had a few more clips to show.

The really interesting video will be the Spurs post-match one, and hopefully it will be discussing a Cooper masterclass. A lot needs improving before Monday for that to happen though...

1 minute ago, MrSpaM said:

I liked the fact that we aren't insisting on playing it out from the back constantly, even when it's clearly putting too much pressure on the defence

There are times when you just need to hoof it

Exactly this, and doesn't mean you prefer "hoof ball" but I'm less interested in the suicidal passing at from goalkeeper to defender when there's a man on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

We saw very little like this in preseason. To be fair to Steve Cooper, he's clearly wanted a proper attacking midfielder with creative attributes, and Facundo Buananotte looks to be that man.

This move was similar to the way we played last season, so great to see we can still do it.

giphy.gif

In the second half one thing Cooper deserves praise for is that the team is more direct than under Maresca. Kristiansen is willing to cross first time and we don't have to try and score the "perfect goal", something Spurs themselves were guilty of.

This move didn't result in a goal, but it shows clear patterns of play, movement and a cohesive team. In preseason, meltdowns IMo were justified, we looked absolutely shocking. Seeing moves like the above really changes my opinion and from initially dreading the season, all of a sudden I think we have a chance. Great move!

I'll be making a video this evening with more of a detailed breakdown!

I know we’ve just signed Skipp, but producing moves like this makes me really want Gus Hamer, his quick progressive passing ability would absolutely suit this style. 

As for yourself Strider, keep putting your content out there mate, the way you analyse games, more fans will be latching onto your YouTube channel in quick time 👍🏻

• Thanks 3

Second half showed me with the players we have, yeah honestly maybe short of quality in a couple of ares, but we can survive. Still capable of challenging a handful of teams in this league even with the points deduction 

Edited by foxes_rule1978
  • Like 1

We saw very little like this in preseason. To be fair to Steve Cooper, he's clearly wanted a proper attacking midfielder with creative attributes, and Facundo Buananotte looks to be that man.

This move was similar to the way we played last season, so great to see we can still do it.

giphy.gif

In the second half one thing Cooper deserves praise for is that the team is more direct than under Maresca. Kristiansen is willing to cross first time and we don't have to try and score the "perfect goal", something Spurs themselves were guilty of.

This move didn't result in a goal, but it shows clear patterns of play, movement and a cohesive team. In preseason, meltdowns IMo were justified, we looked absolutely shocking. Seeing moves like the above really changes my opinion and from initially dreading the season, all of a sudden I think we have a chance. Great move!

That passing sequence was beautiful. I really thought Vardy was going to slot it past the keeper. You could tell after the keeper saved it, Vardy was furious with himself that he didn't score.

• Like 3

giphy.gif

Might go under the radar because you expect it of him but the first touch to put it perfectly in his path is top class. Facundo's ball just a tad too slow but he makes it work perfectly with that touch to drag it forward.

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

I'm less interested in the suicidal passing at from goalkeeper to defender when there's a man

There's a middle way tho. Mads was kicking long and we surrendered possession immediately. We need to have a pattern drummed in to keep possession from restarts. We looked devoid of coaching)tactics in that respect. 

I don't think we used (or trusted)  Vesty anywhere near as much as we could last night. He's integral. 

9 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

First half we looked lost and played like a non-League side, second half was a lot better shown some steel and we looked quicker to the ball. If the second half is cooper ball then we may have a chance of surviving 

I was shocked that Tottenham's first half xG was so low, given how "dominant" they were:

image.png.d76be4913b5bdb0062b350e71860da18.png

image.png.71a3dbe079d0786902abcb3d0c67ac37.png

According to the stats, they created very little in open play, and most of their xG came from the numerous set pieces we conceded. The second half was (obviously) much better. We won way more ground and aerial duels, and created far more lethal chances in the 2nd half than Tottenham had in either half - 

image.png.01eb9eec7dab7b847ce327ecc7c92078.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Detroit Blues said:

I was shocked that Tottenham's first half xG was so low, given how "dominant" they were:

image.png.d76be4913b5bdb0062b350e71860da18.png

image.png.71a3dbe079d0786902abcb3d0c67ac37.png

According to the stats, they created very little in open play, and most of their xG came from the numerous set pieces we conceded. The second half was (obviously) much better. We won way more ground and aerial duels, and created far more lethal chances in the 2nd half than Tottenham had in either half - 

image.png.01eb9eec7dab7b847ce327ecc7c92078.png

Lots of headers, blocked shots in crowded areas and also plenty of occasions when they overplayed or just wasted promising positions. I think they were definitely the better team for most of the game but we still created the two best chances and consequently probably deserved the point.

• Like 3

This might be a mental suggestion and not be relied in but have we ever tried Casey up front? Always seems to be in the right place and can finish? 

Also, completely different question, i  can’t remember but who took our set pieces last night? 

1 minute ago, DezFox said:

This might be a mental suggestion and not be relied in but have we ever tried Casey up front? Always seems to be in the right place and can finish? 

Also, completely different question, i  can’t remember but who took our set pieces last night? 

I want to say Winks and Fatawu...not sure if any others had a crack

• Haha 1

Whilst the change has been around for a long time can we use these next 4 nights getting our heads around that football is no longer about a starting #1 to 11 who on paper are your best 11 players at the club but acknowledge its about squads.
The introduction of 5 subs has changed managers thinking whereby they might save some of their better players to come on & finish the game when the opposition are tiring & equally bring on better defensive players when holding on.
Every game they can swap out HALF the outfield players (lastnight we could have made 6 changes) so now there isn't & there shouldn't be this you are my #1 LW, RW, AM etc. 5 Player changes can switch your entire tactic from ultra defensive to ultra attacking & vice versa & then anything inbetween.
It also gives you the ability to manage players to last an entire season without burning out your so called #1 & have to rely on an understudy for lengthy periods & how many times do people go "like the look of the starting 11 but that bench is rotten" the bench is there to give you options & should contain game changers on it, not all the kids picked last in PE.

The start of every matchday thread is a yawnfest of tripe reeled out week on week about how this player hasn't been picked or why is that player in or he is being treated so unfairly i wouldn't blame him for leaving etc

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Here we see an example of teams targetting Ndidi as their "pressing trigger."

Leicester win the ball back and Winks receive the ball. Spurs follow him but don't over commit. But as soon as Ndidi gets it, 4 men ambush him and rob the ball from him.

Now to defend Ndidi here, when so many people mob you, it's very hard to get out of that trouble. However, this was the reason why Rodgers moved from a 4141 to a 4231, because opposition managers targeted Ndidi as the focal point to attack. Ricardo was better at "playing in traffic", but perhaps if he's not considered physical enough, it's a role Skipp could play.

giphy.gif

This is important because it's the difference between a move breaking down, or being able to continue the attack.

Thats my biggest concern with us giving him a new 3 year deal. He might be a good tackler but hes so poor on the ball and a massive liability. Teams that use a high press will go to town on him. Got to be good on the ball in tight areas playing as a DM in 2024. We’re going to have lots of games this year where we see little of the ball and when we finally win it back we need to be able to keep it effectively. Hopefully Skipp will be a big upgrade

Edited by South Shire Fox
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I want to say Winks and Fatawu...not sure if any others had a crack

Buonanotte lined up with Winks for most of them but Winks took them until Buonanotte skied one over the bar in the 2nd half.