Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SecretPro

Steve Cooper: The Tactics Thread

3 hours ago, moore_94 said:

From our current squad with Okoli signing and Ndidi renewing            

Hermansen

Faes, Vestergaard, Okoli

Ricardo, Winks, Ndidi, Kristiansen

Fatawu, Vardy, Mavididi

That's the same team i came up with for that formation. Feel like we need at least 2 maybe 3 centre mids, at least 1 full back, a winger and a striker. Anywhere between 6-8 new players needed. 

4 hours ago, moore_94 said:

From our current squad with Okoli signing and Ndidi renewing            

Hermansen

Faes, Vestergaard, Okoli

Ricardo, Winks, Ndidi, Kristiansen

Fatawu, Vardy, Mavididi

The only way I see this formation working is if you have a deep lying forward linking up the play. 

From an attacking sense the wing back and wingers are surely going to end up getting in each others way?

We haven't got enough goals in the team at the minute or creativity.  Fatawu and mavadivi aren't proven at this level and vardy can't expect to be a starter if we're battling for survival. Think we need 2 strikers and 2 creative players. 

Canon I forgot about and daka is getting worse not better.

I won't be disappointed with the appointment until his appointment disappoints me. 

I will judge him based on what his teams produce on the pitch. 

I just hope he attacks quickly and we don't try the keep ball game that ruins the whole viewing experience. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

We haven't got enough goals in the team at the minute or creativity.  Fatawu and mavadivi aren't proven at this level and vardy can't expect to be a starter if we're battling for survival. Think we need 2 strikers and 2 creative players. 

I feel that Daka will leave in this window and that doesn't really upset me. Cannon, Vardy & one more striker along with contributions from Fatuwa & Mavididi should be ok as long as the midfield contribute.

I'm still positive that Cooper can do a job for us as long as the points deduction is not ridiculous.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

The only way I see this formation working is if you have a deep lying forward linking up the play. 

From an attacking sense the wing back and wingers are surely going to end up getting in each others way?

That's the formation Conte used at Chelsea when they won the league. The wingers normally play inside and support the striker leaving space for the full backs to attack on the wings.

Danger is normally getting overrun in central midfield (Chelsea didn't have that issue though as they had Kante). We would need two very mobile central midfielders to get it to work so not sure if winks and Ndidi would suit this

My impression is we'll see something based around 3 CBs, so a 5-4-1 off the ball, pressing forward to a 3-4-3.

So based on current players i'd say:

hermansen

ricardo - coady/vesty/faes* - Kristiansen

fatawu - winks/soumare - mavididi

vardy

*or some such variation.

What i'm really looking forward to is fatawu and mavididi having players in support, especially mavididi who seemed to play so much better when he had doyle actually pressing forward. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

My impression is we'll see something based around 3 CBs, so a 5-4-1 off the ball, pressing forward to a 3-4-3.

So based on current players i'd say:

hermansen

ricardo - coady/vesty/faes* - Kristiansen

fatawu - winks/soumare - mavididi

vardy

*or some such variation.

What i'm really looking forward to is fatawu and mavididi having players in support, especially mavididi who seemed to play so much better when he had doyle actually pressing forward. 

Soumare 😖

Think the Reid signing is a large hint of where we are tactically headed this season. Fulham under Silva can play but they are absolutely at it for work rate.

We are gonna run, run hard and have a default shape to fall back into out of possession. 

BDR will, I suspect, take the KDH role on the left  for now and at least replace the work rate. 

I'm leaning towards Ricardo have a RAM role when playing. 

Wonder if he'll rotate Winks and Hamza during the game, bringing one of them off at 60 mins and replacing with the other. 

15 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Couple of good signings so far - let’s get behind him 

Wonder if he has a majority of control over the signings, rather than Rudkin?

2 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

I have no clue, and none of us do really, if the signings are good Cooper will get the plaudits, any flops will be Rudkins lol

On 21/06/2024 at 10:34, StriderHiryu said:

As Cooper has used a wide variety of styles, it's hard to really know what his plan is. Thus I whenever our first pre-season game is, I will be analysing it like a hawk!

In the meantime, this is the best analysis of his potential style so far:

At Swansea he used this kind of system, which is quite common to see these days. Ipswich for example do this with Leif Davis starting at LB but ending up as a left winger. Then nominal left winger actually drifts in to become an 8.

This means it will be interesting to see how Ricardo and Mavididi are used. If we went like for like, I imagine Ricardo reverts to more of the "bomber" and Winks is more isolated in the build up.

So this is quite similar to what Southgate has been trying to achieve with England. Only he used 2 players in Tripper and Foden who both wanted to be inside.

I could only see Kristiansen doing that on our left and I'm not sure that Mav is the guy to come inside and create. I think he is happier with his heels on the paint.

We could swap sides with that though. I could see Fatawu causing all sorts of problems on the corner of the penalty area if Ric or JJ are bombing around the outside.

To be honest, with Cooper's flexibility, we could run a sweepstake on the formation we end up using.

The signings of Okoli and Reid really cement for me that he will prioritise not only the 3 at the back system but it’s more likely that he will rotate between 3-4-3, 3-4-2-1 and 3-4-1-2 formations.

Reid is a fabulously versatile and incredibly hard working player who can play both wide and as a 10, Mav and Fatawu are less effective and technically astute to play 10 roles. 

Id love for us to go for Demirovic from Augsburg if we don’t get Ionnadis from Panathanaikos. 

On 05/07/2024 at 21:32, Salieri said:

Soumare 😖

Yeah, i'm not saying he's my preferred choice, but i've based it on 'current squad' so without the option of ndidi, which leaves ricardo or hamza - ricardo i'd play at right back and i think soumare has (potentially) a higher ceiling and more to offer than hamza. 

• Like 1

On 05/07/2024 at 00:29, Grebfromgrebland said:

This was the consensus opinion for much of last summer and we ended up scoring 89 goals.  Yes we have lost a lot with KDH, but equally, had enzo been a bit more enthusiastic we wouldn't have spent half the season consolidating a 1-0 lead - who knows how many more we could have scored had we tried - so there are goal scorers and creative players here, we just need to add in a little extra in the middle of the park.

6 hours ago, Wymsey said:

The process of signing players has been well documented by people like Tanner and Blackwell - and it's very much a team process - with Glover and the manager seemingly having the most influence on the final decision.

• Like 1

From the Telegraph article today:

Long hours have been spent with head of recruitment Martyn Glover and the analysts to work through potential targets. Cooper has watched the majority of games from last season to understand why the team was successful, with the intention to build on it and make improvements in preparation for operating in a higher division.

We can only speculate as to what we will see, but I suspect that in the first game in pre-season we will use the same 3421 we used last season. I can see us moving away from it over time though. With both 8's currently gone from last season and a lack of proven quality in that area, it's the most glaring hole we have in the team right now.

• Like 2