Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Development/Youth Squads 2024/2025 Thread - U18/U21

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

Do they insist on always player youth team players when they're desperate for points?

BTW, try suggesting on here that we should only play English players on here and see what reaction you get.

I mean, based on the 112 year history, I'm going to go with they would probably, given that they've been doing it for 112 years. I'd be surprised if you think they've never been desperate for points in 112 years - although whether they'd play youth players versus try to buy better Basque players from elsewhere, I couldn't say - I don't exactly follow Bilbao.

Anyway, I don't think Ric or anyone is genuinely suggesting we should be only playing English players, or even that our academy players should be constantly playing every game - I think there's a balance that can easily be struck here - Alves for example could be on the bench for games over the likes of Soumare surely? Then he could be used or not used as the situation may allow. It shows the progression and pathway, but can be situational - and doesn't really jeopardise anything unless you think Soumare can offer something off the bench for us (which I do not).

Like it or not, we need to keep producing players through the academy in order to compensate for less than stellar financial management - and for me, what Cooper is currently doing with Alves in not having him in any first team squads is a mistake. Which isn't to say he won't do something different going forward, but I don't think it's surprising that it's a disappointment in a thread about our youth players. 

• Like 1

Just now, The_Rorab said:

I mean, based on the 112 year history, I'm going to go with they would probably, given that they've been doing it for 112 years. I'd be surprised if you think they've never been desperate for points in 112 years - although whether they'd play youth players versus try to buy better Basque players from elsewhere, I couldn't say - I don't exactly follow Bilbao.

Anyway, I don't think Ric or anyone is genuinely suggesting we should be only playing English players, or even that our academy players should be constantly playing every game - I think there's a balance that can easily be struck here - Alves for example could be on the bench for games over the likes of Soumare surely? Then he could be used or not used as the situation may allow. It shows the progression and pathway, but can be situational - and doesn't really jeopardise anything unless you think Soumare can offer something off the bench for us (which I do not).

Like it or not, we need to keep producing players through the academy in order to compensate for less than stellar financial management - and for me, what Cooper is currently doing with Alves in not having him in any first team squads is a mistake. Which isn't to say he won't do something different going forward, but I don't think it's surprising that it's a disappointment in a thread about our youth players. 

A policy of Basque only players is irrelevant to whether we should play youth players.

Developing players so we can sell them for £40million  to Spurs is pointless if relegation costs us £50 million. 

We all want local lads to do well but my priority is staying up.

7 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

I don't think it has anything to do with pathways.

If Liverpool or Man City come calling, most players will go. 

With some respect, they are going to attract a higher quality player in the first place who has more of a chance to make it. 

It also depends on what you call breaking in the first team; for me, it gets in and then stays in the squad and plays 50-odd games for the club.

They have had the likes of Joe Gomez, TAA, Curtis Jones, and Kelleher break in and hang around in the last 5 or 6 years, compared to Chilwell, Barnes, KHD, Thomas, Hamza etc.

Where they are better is developing people who make a limited amount of apps to sell for a profit, which is helped by their profile. 

Agreed, bigger clubs will get you better loans because they rely on the development to bring player value in a sale. 

42 minutes ago, Stormfox said:

Agreed, bigger clubs will get you better loans because they rely on the development to bring player value in a sale. 

Also people naturally think they are getting a better player if they are going for someone from the big 6.

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Now that forest have spent a couple of years in the PL and Villa are PL established (and now in the CL), are we likely to enter a very competitive period for youngsters from n and w Leicestershire?? 

Forest are no threat at all. If there weren’t in the Premiership they would lose their Cat 1 status because their facilities are shocking. Their Academy teams are very poor and regularly get beat double figures by us Derby Villa 

Villa are a massive threat as they look after their parents in a financial way in terms of paying for mileage ( and possibly some other things … ) The new training ground has made very little difference in attracting players in my opinion as there are much more important factors for parents to consider ie the standard of coaching , travel time etc

• Like 3

2 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Managers don't look at the long term view though mate. Why would they plan for a few years down the line when there's a good chance they'll be gone in 6/12 months? 

Because that should be the mandate from the board to the manager. It definitely seemed to be when Puel took over.

1 hour ago, Guest said:

There is always going to be an excuse not to use young players. We can't risk it because we need to stay up, we can't risk it because we need the prize money from finishing higher up the league, we can't risk it because we're going for Europe. You can't convince me it is somehow less risky to e.g. bring Soumaré on at no.10 against Spurs instead of someone like Alves. At some point we are just going to have to start either taking those risks or doing a better job of getting our best prospects loans at a good standard (which I accept we started to do late on in the window just gone) because I don't think it's an exaggeration to say it is utterly vital if we want to get back to where we were. Barring unprecedented levels of investment or a takeover by some oil baron/nation state I can't see how we make serious progress without a) making smart investments on upwardly mobile players from lesser leagues with a view to selling them on for big profits and b) developing young players of our own to the same end.

Couldn't have put it better myself sir

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smooch85 said:

U21 side playing hull in the PL cup

Bausor

Wormleighton

gray

Aulko

Amatey

Cartwright 

evans

monga

pennant 

page

Onanaye

subs 

french 

king

Dyke 

khela

Otchere

Anyone out of our current u21 side that has the potential to be in the first team in the not so distant future? 

1 hour ago, Smooch85 said:

U21 side playing hull in the PL cup

Bausor

Wormleighton

gray

Aulko

Amatey

Cartwright 

evans

monga

pennant 

page

Onanaye

subs 

french 

king

Dyke 

khela

Otchere

Great to see Monga starting an U21 game.

I've just done some cursory research on the player's ages, and was unable to find the ages for a few of them.

But the below looks a lot healthier for an U21 side now that we've sent a few players out on loan. Giving some of those younger lads games at U21 level should, in theory, give them the kind of experience that will bring their development on.

Are we finally, finally, starting to see a strategy with the academy that will produce a regular conveyor belt of talent that we can either blood into the first team or, if not, sell for decent money rather than letting them go at age 22 for nothing?

Bausor - 19

Wormleighton - 20

Gray - ?

Aluko - 17

Amartey - 18

Cartwright - 19

Evans - 16/17? (Saw a post saying the was 16 four months ago)

Monga - 15

Pennant - 20

Page - 15? (Could only find Louis Page who is apparently a defender so strange for him to be listed so far down the starting XI)

Onanaye - 16?

French - 18

King - 17

Dyke - 17

Khela - ?

Otchere - ?

Edited by ALC Fox
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

Great to see Monga starting an U21 game.

I've just done some cursory research on the player's ages, and was unable to find the ages for a few of them.

But the below looks a lot healthier for an U21 side now that we've sent a few players out on loan. Giving some of those younger lads games at U21 level should, in theory, give them the kind of experience that will bring their development on.

Are we finally, finally, starting to see a strategy with the academy that will produce a regular conveyor belt of talent that we can either blood into the first team or, if not, sell for decent money rather than letting them go at age 22 for nothing?

Bausor - 19

Wormleighton - 20

Gray - ?

Aluko - 17

Amartey - 18

Cartwright - 19

Evans - 16/17? (Saw a post saying the was 16 four months ago)

Monga - 15

Pennant - 20

Page - 15? (Could only find Louis page who is apparently a defender so strange for him to be listed so far down the starting XI)

Onanaye - 16?

French - 18

King - 17

Dyke - 17

Khela - ?

Otchere - ?

Yes that is Louis page, Kevon gray is also 17 I think 

• Thanks 1

https://www.lcfc.com/news/4108456/young-foxes-secure-premier-league-cup-win-in-hull?lang=en

Young Foxes Secure Premier League Cup Win In Hull
LCFC MEN U21S

The Leicester City Development Squad got back to winning ways with a 1-0 triumph over Hull City on Friday evening at The Dransfield Stadium.
In the first game of the Premier League Cup, City's youngsters staked an early claim in the competition by beating Hull City on the travels, as the new campaign starts to gain momentum.

Pressing pause on their Premier League 2 season, which recently saw the Foxes fall to a 3-1 defeat to Fulham at Motspur Park; summer signing Michael Golding scoring the only City goal that day.

With just one win in their previous four, the victory over the Tigers comes at an important time in the schedule to help Leicester's Under-21s get back on track, with a two week break now on the cards. 

The only goal of the game, from Jake Evans with 38 minutes on the clock, was enough to settle the scoreline as a relatively young squad look to make a statement in Academy football, following the departure of several regular Under-21 players such as Sammy Braybrooke, Wanya Marçal and Brandon Cover, who will all spend the year on loan, developing in senior football.

Picking up three points in Group B of the Premier League Cup in East Yorkshire, the Foxes' attention now reverts back to the day job, as they await the visit of Middlesborough in PL2 on Monday 23 September to LCFC Training Ground (7pm BST kick-off).

The details...

City: Bausor; Wormleighton, Gray, Amartey, Aluko; Cartwright, Page; Evans, Onanaye, Monga (Dyke 83'); Pennant (King 71').

Subs not used: French, Khela, Otchere.

Goal: Evans 38'. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BroughtonFox said:

I remember watching Wormleighton a few years back and thinking he’ll be a great player. Yet I don’t even think he’s been anywhere near the first team lol 

Shame he wasn't part of the group who went on loan this season. At 20 he needs men's football.