Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Development/Youth Squads 2024/2025 Thread - U18/U21

I’m sure that there were a few scouts there last night wanting to see how monga got on against senior pros. They would have been reassured. His immediate future at our club will be dictated by his parents and his advisors.  Does anyone know if the kid is down to earth or a bit arrogant - based on his ability he’d be entitled to be he latter! 

there is absolutely no doubt that a few of the big fish will be making approaches to his people - what we can do in the face of what will be offered is questionable.  At least klopp is now gone from liverpool and no one knows if slot will be as keen to blood 16/17 y o.  Pep has shown that he will but Man City’s pool of young talent is incredible.  Yanited have been a mess but they may be sorting themselves out. No one with any sense is going to Chelsea. Arsenal have recently lost a big young talent to yanited but arteta has shown he will give youth an opportunity

We can probably fast track some of the kids into the league cup squads because we have to show the really talented kids that this club will allow them to break through at 18/19.  Whatever the reasons, we’ve not done that for a long time. You could argue that we did give alves a cameo at at MK dons just before his injury. That didn’t deter two of our best U17 from leaving the following summer. 

I think that fifa should become involved and perhaps look at banning transfers of U18 players where the holding academy don’t want to lose the player. 

Edited by st albans fox

20 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

If he’s tactically/ mentally able then maybe although we’d probably need to wait for him to turn 16. 

Nwaneri played for Arsenal's first team aged 15. If he's good enough and there are teams sniffing around, it would probably be a good idea to get him in a squad and let him have 10 minutes towards the end of a League Cup game.

I really like the look of him. If he's a Bellingham-esque generational talent then I presume it won't be long until we do see him get first-team action. Whether he is or not remains to be seen. But he does look the business.

Though I do worry about some of our young players. Alves, for example, is now involved in first-team training but isn't making match-day squads, nor is he playing age group football or being linked with a loan. Is first-team training alone enough development to see him break through given a bit of time? I don't want to see these players stuck in limbo and then taking longer to develop than they would if they had actually been given a chance.

It's good to see Braybrooke playing but it's so obvious he's above U21 level. There are clear weaknesses in his game. Based on last night he misjudges headers a fair bit and can lose possession that way (often making a header on the ball's upward trajectory, seeing it softly loop in the air and allowing an opposing player to challenge him physically for the ball). But his touch, ball control and passing are out of this world. If he's not even where Alves is now in Cooper's thoughts, he needs a loan this instant in my opinion.

Edited by ALC Fox
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ALC Fox said:

Nwaneri played for Arsenal's first team aged 15. If he's good enough and there are teams sniffing around, it would probably be a good idea to get him in a squad and let him have 10 minutes towards the end of a League Cup game.

I really like the look of him. If he's a Bellingham-esque generational talent then I presume it won't be long until we do see him get first-team action. Whether he is or not remains to be seen. But he does look the business.

Though I do worry about some of our young players. Alves, for example, is now involved in first-team training but isn't making match-day squads, nor is he playing age group football or being linked with a loan. Is first-team training alone enough development to see him break through given a bit of time? I don't want to see these players stuck in limbo and then taking longer to develop than they would if they had actually been given a chance.

It's good to see Braybrooke playing but it's so obvious he's above U21 level. There are clear weaknesses in his game. Based on last night he misjudges headers a fair bit and can lose possession that way (often making a header on the ball's upward trajectory, seeing it softly loop in the air and allowing an opposing player to challenge him physically for the ball). But his passing, ball control and passing is out of this world. If he's not even where Alves is now in Cooper's thoughts, he needs a loan this instant in my opinion.

Word on here was that Sammi is going out on loan this season. 
I agree re alves but when you have 20+ first team squad members and can only name 18 there will always be some who miss out.  I guess it’s either him or Casey who get named. Will Casey now get a loan to a championship club after his new contract was signed ?? 

1 hour ago, Collymore said:

Monga looks a right talent. Feel he could be thrown into the senior side and he wouldn't look out of place. 

Not beyond the realms that he's on the bench on Tuesday I guess. Not like it's unheard of, especially not in the Carabao.

26 minutes ago, Big_Nige said:

You know what, as much as I want to see Alves staring in a Leicester shirt, I think a loan till Jan will be best for all parties. Alves gets a start on Tuesday and then goes and gets some serious minutes under his belt. Bounanotte is only 6 months older, but you could tell he’s played nearly 100 games of senior football. Alves needs that game time, and I just don't think Cooper will risk him until he’s a sure thing. Same to be said for Nelson, Braybrooke and Richards. Get them game time.

For a club in the mire with PSR we need these kids to either be stars, or sellable assets. Wasting their time in no man’s land where they are deemed good enough for the senior squad, but not trusted enough to play benefits nobody 

If he plays on Tuesday would he not be cup-tied? Might not be relevant depending on where we have lined up, but could see him being sent out prior to Tuesday so he can get those minutes elsewhere.

6 month loan initially definitely feels like the right call. If he needs longer than that it could always be extended or shifted to another club in a better position if relevant in Jan, or brought back into the fold here and challenging for a place in the XI.

Cant afford to let him - and others - stagnate.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Xen said:

If he plays on Tuesday would he not be cup-tied? Might not be relevant depending on where we have lined up, but could see him being sent out prior to Tuesday so he can get those minutes elsewhere.

6 month loan initially definitely feels like the right call. If he needs longer than that it could always be extended or shifted to another club in a better position if relevant in Jan, or brought back into the fold here and challenging for a place in the XI.

Cant afford to let him - and others - stagnate.

Yeah he’d be cup tied, but it’s only the league cup. Realistically Barnsley will probably go out to Shef U on Tuesday so it won’t matter. 

I think the sensible thing is to let him go to league 1 for 6 months,  championship in January and then he can replace Bounanotte next season when he inevitably breaks our hearts. It’s a crucial year for Will, getting a hand full of minutes for us will not do him any good

Edited by Big_Nige
Sp.
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

What happened to that Mahina kid there was all that hype over a few years ago?

He’s still here like but he’s only 12ish

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Big_Nige said:

Yeah he’d be cup tied, but it’s only the league cup. Realistically Barnsley will probably go out to Shef U on Tuesday so it won’t matter. 

I think the sensible thing is to let him go to league 1 for 6 months,  championship in January and then he can replace Bounanotte next season when he inevitably breaks our hearts. It’s a crucial year for Will, getting a hand full of minutes for us will not do him any good

Barnsley until Jan and Sheff Weds until the end of the season would be ideal.

• Like 1