Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Development/Youth Squads 2024/2025 Thread - U18/U21

30 minutes ago, South Shire Fox said:

Had a legend in Stevie Dawson represent both clubs as well

Yep!

Also more recently played a big part in Harvey Barnes development.

I'd like to see a copycat of his development to be honest, perhaps fast tracked though, 4 months with Barnsley and 6 months with West Brom if he does well with Barnsley.

• Like 1

On 20/08/2024 at 20:52, lcfc sheff said:

this is the problem with the game now. Chelsea will be on the phone to his agent now if they weren't already before this game

15 hours ago, st albans fox said:

I’m sure that there were a few scouts there last night wanting to see how monga got on against senior pros. They would have been reassured. His immediate future at our club will be dictated by his parents and his advisors.  Does anyone know if the kid is down to earth or a bit arrogant - based on his ability he’d be entitled to be he latter! 

there is absolutely no doubt that a few of the big fish will be making approaches to his people - what we can do in the face of what will be offered is questionable.  At least klopp is now gone from liverpool and no one knows if slot will be as keen to blood 16/17 y o.  Pep has shown that he will but Man City’s pool of young talent is incredible.  Yanited have been a mess but they may be sorting themselves out. No one with any sense is going to Chelsea. Arsenal have recently lost a big young talent to yanited but arteta has shown he will give youth an opportunity

We can probably fast track some of the kids into the league cup squads because we have to show the really talented kids that this club will allow them to break through at 18/19.  Whatever the reasons, we’ve not done that for a long time. You could argue that we did give alves a cameo at at MK dons just before his injury. That didn’t deter two of our best U17 from leaving the following summer. 

I think that fifa should become involved and perhaps look at banning transfers of U18 players where the holding academy don’t want to lose the player. 

Not allowed to have an Agent until he is 16

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/leicester-city-leadership-decision-taken-9505876

• 13:23, 23 AUG 2024

Fifteen-year-old shown pathway
City’s under-21s have kicked off their season, starting with a 2-1 defeat to Southampton in Premier League 2 and then a 3-1 loss to Burton Albion in the EFL Trophy. Two late goals saw City fall to the League One side, but the performance was one to be proud of, with the youngsters the better side for large parts of the match.

And it really was a young side. In the second half, City brought on two 15-year-olds in Jeremy Monga and Jake Evans. Both were part of the under-16s team that won the Premier League Cup in May, although they spent most of last season with the under-18s.

Lots of the players from that successful under-16 group have signed scholarships over the summer and it seems the club are keen to show the likes of Monga and Evans that there is the possibility of a fast route to the first team if they keep proving themselves. City won’t want a repeat of the situation with Trey Nyoni.

The attacking midfielder was poached by Liverpool last summer and made his senior debut aged 16 in the FA Cup in February. He was with Arne Slot’s first team for their pre-season trip to the US too.

If City are to keep their best youngsters out of the hands of the biggest clubs, they must show there is a pathway to the first team. With Monga in particular, that appears to be the process.

An England youth international, the right-footed, left-sided winger looks to be a special talent. He only turned 15 this summer, and his footwork, dribbling, and weight of pass are exceptional for his age. He’s come off the bench in each of City Under-21s’ matches so far this season, catching the eye on both occasions.

Leon McSweeney is the man who made the decision to give Monga game-time. Assistant coach to the team under Ben Petty last season, McSweeney is looking after the team while the club continue their search for a new head coach for the Under-21s. Petty left for Birmingham this summer to become assistant manager to Chris Davies.

Speaking after Tuesday’s loss to Burton, McSweeney told the club: “At 1-1, we’re bringing two 15-year-olds onto the pitch to experience this environment. It’s exciting just taking them off the bench and seeing them pit their wits against senior players.

“They didn’t look out of place. They handled it. They looked composed in possession. They’ve got really exciting futures. That’s what we’re all about as an academy, to give those guys the platform and show them the pathway at the football club. It’s the old adage: if you’re good enough, you’re old enough. Get on the pitch and do your thing.”

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

What impresses me about Monga at 15 is how he uses his body to protect the ball, superb. 

The balance and awareness is already elite, it’s obvious in those clips. 

I’d say it’s very promising, but he will probably be snatched from under us before we can tie him down anyway!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

What impresses me about Monga at 15 is how he uses his body to protect the ball, superb. 

He’s a Chelsea fan.

I know I’m the only one who get annoyed by this but it’s annoying how all these guys that are mustard playing for us aren’t actually one of us.

Edited by niyaminski

8 hours ago, niyaminski said:

He’s a Chelsea fan.

I know I’m the only one who get annoyed by this but it’s annoying how all these guys that are mustard playing for us aren’t actually one of us.

You're definitely not the only one.

Got the U18s at home V Reading at 12:00pm today

And

U21 V Liverpool away at 14:00 today. 

Hopefully there will be a stream for the Liverpool game to catch first half. 

Edited by Collymore

9 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Got the U18s at home V Reading at 12:00pm today

And

U21 V Liverpool away at 14:00 today. 

Hopefully there will be a stream for the Liverpool game to catch first half. 

If monga is in the U21 then I guess liverpool may as well give him a tour of their training ground today  to save time ……..

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

If monga is in the U21 then I guess liverpool may as well give him a tour of their training ground today  to save time ……..

You only hope our facilities are so good that anything the big 6 can offer are at best on par with ours.