Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Development/Youth Squads 2024/2025 Thread - U18/U21

4 hours ago, lcfc sheff said:

New deals for Nelson, Alves and braybrooke should be a priority 

New DoF is a bigger priority. The current one loves a contract run down.

• Like 1

Nelson signed an extension last season didn’t he? I would offer Alves and Braybrooke long terms deals this pre season though.

Apart from them three are any of the current u’21s likely to push for a squad place this season? As no doubt we’ll struggle to send any out on loan again

1 hour ago, BroughtonFox said:

Nelson signed an extension last season didn’t he? I would offer Alves and Braybrooke long terms deals this pre season though.

Apart from them three are any of the current u’21s likely to push for a squad place this season? As no doubt we’ll struggle to send any out on loan again

There's some extremely promising talent coming through. Jake Evans appears to be destined to go right to the very top but he's only 16. 

The U16s won their age group in England last season. Jeremy Monga, Lorenz Hutchinson, Will Lawrence are all impressive. I've probably missed other's.

In the U18s/U21s I'm interested to see what happens with Silko Thomas and Logan Briggs next season. Silko is ready for a loan to the lower leagues and I think he can make it eventually at a higher level. Briggs, like Alves is extremely gifted and a loan to League One would be beneficial to him.

Others have said, Mirsad Ali who's a left footed defender / midfielder could kick on and make it too. 

We've not had too much success bringing through strikers in recent years but Kirsten Otchere did really well for the U18s last season and Josh King if he can stay fit.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

There's some extremely promising talent coming through. Jake Evans appears to be destined to go right to the very top but he's only 16. 

The U16s won their age group in England last season. Jeremy Monga, Lorenz Hutchinson, Will Lawrence are all impressive. I've probably missed other's.

In the U18s/U21s I'm interested to see what happens with Silko Thomas and Logan Briggs next season. Silko is ready for a loan to the lower leagues and I think he can make it eventually at a higher level. Briggs, like Alves is extremely gifted and a loan to League One would be beneficial to him.

Others have said, Mirsad Ali who's a left footed defender / midfielder could kick on and make it too. 

We've not had too much success bringing through strikers in recent years but Kirsten Otchere did really well for the U18s last season and Josh King if he can stay fit.

I honestly think we need to change our strategy and get our very best prospects out in loan to decent league 1 & 2 teams by the time they are 18/19 and then the following season a championship loan by the time they are 19/20 they will hopefully have 40-50 games under their belt and be first team ready for us, by progressing our own we will make a killing of the PSR rules 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

I honestly think we need to change our strategy and get our very best prospects out in loan to decent league 1 & 2 teams by the time they are 18/19 and then the following season a championship loan by the time they are 19/20 they will hopefully have 40-50 games under their belt and be first team ready for us, by progressing our own we will make a killing of the PSR rules 

All good but teams have to want to take them, getting player out on loans isn't as easy as just deciding you want to loan someone out.

1 hour ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

You need to be very careful when letting young players join lower league clubs. It's a big step up for young players.

Not Football wise because mostly they would run rings atound lower league players. The issue is there's many players etching out a living down the leagues and won't take kindly to a young player showboating his talent and making them look inadequate.

It's full of Cloggers who sadly would injure a young player sooner than let him show them up and costing them their livelyhood.

Great if the young player is a big strong lad but not good if he's a lightweight. In which case he's better staying put while the Coaches build up his strength and allow his body to develop as he ages a little more.

It's not an exact science but a lot depends on the young players confidence levels coupled with the Clubs expectations as the last thing they want is to lose a players for a long time due to injury like Alves and Braybrooke.

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

All good but teams have to want to take them, getting player out on loans isn't as easy as just deciding you want to loan someone out.

It's very much reputation based, we need to be more proactive and once we get a few out who do well then clubs look to the conveyor belt to do the same.

I'd be fascinated to get insight from Rob Huth on this. 

• Like 2

On 28/06/2024 at 09:33, niyaminski said:

Thought the piece of skill on Sammy Braybrooke’s instagram story deserves a post on here.

Even Alves had his hands on his head in disbelief 😂

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C8uoxB4sF-n/?igsh=cTBvZGYwMTQ0aHlv

That ping with the left was clean at the end! 

Looks like an absolute natural, the lad absolutely needs to be playing first team football next season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

You need to be very careful when letting young players join lower league clubs. It's a big step up for young players.

Not Football wise because mostly they would run rings atound lower league players. The issue is there's many players etching out a living down the leagues and won't take kindly to a young player showboating his talent and making them look inadequate.

It's full of Cloggers who sadly would injure a young player sooner than let him show them up and costing them their livelyhood.

Great if the young player is a big strong lad but not good if he's a lightweight. In which case he's better staying put while the Coaches build up his strength and allow his body to develop as he ages a little more.

It's not an exact science but a lot depends on the young players confidence levels coupled with the Clubs expectations as the last thing they want is to lose a players for a long time due to injury like Alves and Braybrooke.

Disagree that most would run rings around lower league players. There's the odd player but most don't even make it in the lower leagues .

Look at when the U21s play in the Papa John's !

24 minutes ago, los dedos said:

Disagree that most would run rings around lower league players. There's the odd player but most don't even make it in the lower leagues .

Look at when the U21s play in the Papa John's !

This is because the whole U21's is all at the same standard. Those ready for loans are a level above the rest of the U21's.

3 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

League 1/2 really isn’t clogger standard these days. Particularly since the teams now are full ex Academy players. 

Someone like Louie Barry at his success at Stockport last season is very much what Alves needs. A really technical player who was superb last season 

Well said.   I watch a fair bit of league 1 following the wife's team.  The idea it's full of ageing reducers out to injure young players is absolute nonsense of the very highest order.

Rak-Sakyi is exactly the sort of lightweight who was running rings around players the season before last.  He returned to Palace, both legs intact.    

Even at lower levels it's business and clubs aren't going to tolerate their assets being scythed down week in week out.  

10 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Over half of that winning u16’s squad were actually u15’s remember 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Holly B said:

Over half of that winning u16’s squad were actually u15’s remember 

Yeah which is even more impressive but think it'll be a few years before we see them challenge the 1st team. Jake Evans might be one of those 16/17 year olds that breaks through at clubs.

I suspect he's being scouted heavily by the usual mob already.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, niyaminski said:

This Chelsea lad joining the first team or 21s?

I would be very surprised if he is straight into the first team

At most I think he would be around the same level of Braybrooke and Alves in terms of how close they are to being in match days squads etc.

How many young players could we use in the first team squad.

Fatawu will looks a definite.   Nelson a probable.   It depends who we sign whether Alves or Braybrooke would  fit better.

Huth might be busy arranging loaning out young players.