Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Panathinaikos striker Fotis Ioannidis

7 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

But still more to come then and more wages for someone we didn't need. Isn't this how we got into a mess in the first place?  Like collecting goalkeepers also?

No doubting it was silly, do not remotely understand it, but it should not impact us in further signings was my only point.

Maybe we are buying under the assumption someone is leaving, if so we deserve all we get

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

Thats not what was said.

“Leicester have made approaches to sign Bayer Leverkusen forward Adam Hlozek on loan with a view to buy as well as Panathinaikos striker Fotis Ioannidis, who is understood to valued at £25million. That would represent a considerable investment for Leicester even after the £30m sale of Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall to Chelsea in June, a deal that eased Leicester’s concerns over a breach of profit and sustainability rules for last season.

It would take up a significant chunk of the budget and Leicester must weigh up whether it is viable”

Umm… I’m not sure  what your objections on this one….  don’t see how my comment deviated from what you’ve quoted?

1 minute ago, MPH said:

Umm… I’m not sure  what your objections on this one….  don’t see how my comment deviated from what you’ve quoted?

Agree, am I missing something here? The 30m for KDH was too clear the debt for the financial period, but 25m now is only 25m/contract length on this years accounts, so...  :dunno:

3 hours ago, Muzzy_no7 said:

The signing of Okoli was very strange and the only explanation for me pointed towards Cooper going 3 at the back.

No we’ve persisted with a 4-2-3-1 that we don’t have the players for.

We don’t have a striker capable of leading the line. 

We don’t have any competition to Winks or a fading Ndidi.

We have no attacking left back.

Its fkin tragic. 

I’m sure Okoli was signed to address a perceived lack of pace at the back - he’s also a unit which helps when you come up against the likes of Haaland. 

Faes and Vestergaard may have faired alright against Championship strikers when we enjoyed 60-70% of the ball - but we’re going to be doing a lot more defending this year - so there’s some logic in signing a centrehalf of Okoli’s profile.

• Like 3

From what I’ve read Sporting are very keen on Ioannidis - and would no doubt prove considerable competition to us signing him.

They’ve also been linked with Victor Roque from Barcelona too however - possibly a case of one or the other for them.

2 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

I’m sure Okoli was signed to address a perceived lack of pace at the back - he’s also a unit which helps when you come up against the likes of Haaland. 

Faes and Vestergaard may have faired alright against Championship strikers when we enjoyed 60-70% of the ball - but we’re going to be doing a lot more defending this year - so there’s some logic in signing a centrehalf of Okoli’s profile.

This is it, people talking about needing strikers, you need to score goals to stay up, but its arguably more important to keep it tight at the back.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

From what I’ve read Sporting are very keen on Ioannidis - and would no doubt prove considerable competition to us signing him.

They’ve also been linked with Victor Roque from Barcelona too however - possibly a case of one or the other for them.

Roque wants to stay in Spain:

https://barcauniversal.com/barcelona-outcast-finally-agrees-to-go-out-on-loan-two-la-liga-clubs-keen/

2 hours ago, MPH said:

Everyone was quoting

“ weighing up to see if he’s worth it”?

that’s not what was said, 

viable as in financially viable. 
What the landscape looks like,  should the majority of the budget be spent on this player, what other options are there.

If he’s worth it Implies something else like how you have then quoted let’s go back to spending 300k on Philpot instead.

I was highlighting the secondary source, more than your response tbh

17 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

Plenty of chatter in Portugal about whether he is going to Sporting or Benfica… 

Sporting Leicester 

"No, after you 'insert better run club name here' , I insist'"

Edited by Gravel

Roma I can accept.

Getting outmanoeuvred by the likes of Sporting and Hoffenheim, clubs we could previously quite easily attract players from, is quite a damning indictment of the state our club now finds itself in.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

Roma I can accept.

Getting outmanoeuvred by the likes of Sporting and Hoffenheim, clubs we could previously quite easily attract players from, is quite a damning indictment of the state our club now finds itself in.

We have no long-term plan as a club, had Maresca stayed with his methods and targeting specific players for his system we could easily attract these types of players (even with Rudkin dealing)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

Roma I can accept.

Why is it damning to be outdone by Sporting? A club which regularly competes in and wins their domestic league and gets Champions league football or some form of European tournament at worst, forgetting non football related things like living in a nice country with decent weather? It's only in very recent years that we've been able to take players from them. And that was shortlived, forgetting Fatawu who is someone they didn't want and so irrelevant in this context.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JimJams said:

Why is it damning to be outdone by Sporting? A club which regularly competes in and wins their domestic league and gets Champions league football or some form of European tournament at worst, forgetting non football related things like living in a nice country with decent weather? It's only in very recent years that we've been able to take players from them. And that was shortlived, forgetting Fatawu who is someone they didn't want and so irrelevant in this context.

Forgetting the player we took from them 🤣

37 minutes ago, JimJams said:

We bought their star striker in Slimani from them a few years ago because we were considered a better prospect. However much he flattered to deceive for us, we were capable of taking our pick of players at a whole host of clubs across Europe as recently as the early 2020s.

Can you imagine any top league club's main man looking at us now and thinking 'yeah that's the move I need'?

1 minute ago, OntarioFox said:

We bought their star striker in Slimani from them a few years ago because we were considered a better prospect. However much he flattered to deceive for us, we were capable of taking our pick of players at a whole host of clubs across Europe as recently as the early 2020s.

Can you imagine any top league club's main man looking at us now and thinking 'yeah that's the move I need'?

Yes I know, but I'm saying that historically that's only been the case for a very brief period, so I don't see why it's damning.  Hoffenheim, granted.

2 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

They got a king's ransom for him on the back of a purple patch, form which he failed to reproduce anywhere since.

I find that Portuguese top clubs are experts in timing the sale of their best assets.

They had our pants down with both him and Silva

2 minutes ago, shen said:

They got a king's ransom for him on the back of a purple patch, form which he failed to reproduce anywhere since.

I find that Portuguese top clubs are experts in timing the sale of their best assets.

They had our pants down with both him and Silva

Have our pants ever been up?

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

No because we are newly promoted and have been relegated - it’s not rocket science and if you don’t think that other prem teams like Forest, BHA etc are more attractive too you are deluded - we are making a dogs dinner of assembling this squad but we need a reality check we have fallen now need to rebuild - granted mistakes have been made and maybe are continuing to be but I am not surprised we are not viewed as attractive - it has nothing to do with EM leaving either 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OntarioFox said:

Roma I can accept.

Well clearly, but we did it to ourselves so now have to dig ourselves back out.