Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Panathinaikos striker Fotis Ioannidis

If we want a striker with ball carrying ability who can get us up the pitch, we may have to go all out for Fotis because there’s not really many good options around. 

That specific attribute is probably partly why we wanted Hlozek, Zaha and Bergwijn, you have three players there capable of getting you up the pitch and threatening on the counter. 

I wouldn’t say it’s Ioannidis or bust, but looking around at potential alternatives, he’s still firmly cemented as my first choice. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JimJams said:

Why is it damning to be outdone by Sporting? A club which regularly competes in and wins their domestic league and gets Champions league football or some form of European tournament at worst, forgetting non football related things like living in a nice country with decent weather? It's only in very recent years that we've been able to take players from them. And that was shortlived, forgetting Fatawu who is someone they didn't want and so irrelevant in this context.

Remember taking Silva and Slimani off them? back when we were a semi well run club rather than the divisions whipping boys with a completely useless owner and DoF

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Remember taking Silva and Slimani off them? back when we were a semi well run club rather than the divisions whipping boys with a completely useless owner and DoF

not sure if i'd point to the transfer of silva for an example of when we were well run

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, -sodapop said:

not sure if i'd point to the transfer of silva for an example of when we were well run

lol I qualified that with semi for a reason. it was still more excusable (deadline day need and issues filling because of sporting being arses) than this stuff now

4 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Not direct response just to you @The Doctor but so what? I see no point in this viewpoint? We have royally ***** it up, this is known. What does anyone gain by continually returning to the corpse of past disgraceful failures? Unlikely many if any on here are in a position to exert change directly. Surely people are not expecting to take any kudos from identifying this failure repeatedly? Seriously, why do it?

I may not agree with all the points @LeePhilpottsBaldSpot made, but surely positivity has more chance of benefitting the team than the endless snide comments which will achieve nothing positive.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Not direct response just to you @The Doctor but so what? I see no point in this viewpoint? We have royally ***** it up, this is known. What does anyone gain by continually returning to the corpse of past disgraceful failures? Unlikely many if any on here are in a position to exert change directly. Surely people are not expecting to take any kudos from identifying this failure repeatedly? Seriously, why do it?

I may not agree with all the points @LeePhilpottsBaldSpot made, but surely positivity has more chance of benefitting the team than the endless snide comments which will achieve nothing positive.

the question was when have we ever been the sort of team that takes players off sporting and hoffenheim, simple facts are that we used to, even Bournemouths deals this week makes the point that the Portuguese league is practically a feeder league to the prem. we're bucking that trend and the reason why is obvious. you can say "oh but we can't exert change" but in that case what good does positivity do? you can't have it both ways and claim happy clapping on forums helps the team but we can't exert change by pointing out the issues

• Like 2

Just now, The Doctor said:

the question was when have we ever been the sort of team that takes players off sporting and hoffenheim, simple facts are that we used to, even Bournemouths deals this week makes the point that the Portuguese league is practically a feeder league to the prem. we're bucking that trend and the reason why is obvious. you can say "oh but we can't exert change" but in that case what good does positivity do? you can't have it both ways and claim happy clapping on forums helps the team but we can't exert change by pointing out the issues

You can have it both ways, because I believe both negativity and positivity are communicable, both within forums into a general consensus and from the stands this consensus to the atmosphere in the crowd.

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

You can have it both ways, because I believe both negativity and positivity are communicable, both within forums into a general consensus and from the stands this consensus to the atmosphere in the crowd.

given how this place was about ready to lynch Rodgers back in 22/23 while the general crowd was still backing him to the end I think you greatly overestimate how reflective this place is of match going fans

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

No that wasn't the question. I already pointed to the fact we took their best players, I also pointed to the bigger point that we were only able to for a brief period in our history.  At our absolute peak we were able to get players that they wanted to keep, and now we're not at that level.  It's not damning that as a promoted side we aren't able to poach their best players or compete with them on transfers.

For a similar scenario it's like if Brighton had have signed KDH in January, then 5 years down the line if they've gone down and we've reestablished ourselves, we beat them to a signing and their fans saying "Ooh it's damning being beaten to signings by Leicester".  It's been the norm far longer than the reverse.

Just now, The Doctor said:

given how this place was about ready to lynch Rodgers back in 22/23 while the general crowd was still backing him to the end I think you greatly overestimate how reflective this place is of match going fans

its a fair point, and even though in that instance we were hoping for reactions from the board, a board of nigh on legendary lassitude, I was referring to (but failed to make clear admittedly) a more general communicable consensus to the playing staff on the pitch.

Just go all out for Tammy Abraham he would be a decent striker, not going to score 20 at this level but would comfortably get 10 goals plus alongside Vardy’s goal return I think that would be sufficient for the strikers goal return and then other players as well.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Just go all out for Tammy Abraham he would be a decent striker, not going to score 20 at this level but would comfortably get 10 goals plus alongside Vardy’s goal return I think that would be sufficient for the strikers goal return and then other players as well.

Had one decent season then badly injured. Never seemed to get a look in after that. Big money required for someone who is probably just not up to it anymore, previous injuries a big worry. I don't think it's just a coincidence that we've not heard his name mentioned with anyone seriously. 

Edited by volpeazzurro

26 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Good job we don’t need someone to score 20 then. 

Barely anyone has a 20 goal striker. We definitely can’t expect one lol 

59 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

I think we’d struggle to get him - West Ham and Saudi teams rumoured to be looking.

He’d also command a hefty wage.

Our best chance with Tammy would be if nothing happened with him and he’s at a loose end come deadline day - in which case a loan probably becomes viable.

5 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

I think we’d struggle to get him - West Ham and Saudi teams rumoured to be looking.

He’d also command a hefty wage.

Our best chance with Tammy would be if nothing happened with him and he’s at a loose end come deadline day - in which case a loan probably becomes viable.

If we are serious about staying up he would be the standout option we could get as a striker.

I cannot see him going to West Ham as they signed that German striker recently his name eludes me.

10 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

If we are serious about staying up he would be the standout option we could get as a striker.

I cannot see him going to West Ham as they signed that German striker recently his name eludes me.

Füllkrug - but outside of that West Han have Bowen, Ings and Antonio as strikers, so they will probably be in for one more striker before the window closes.

I’d put Abraham in the same category as Reiss Nelson in terms of transfer for us.

Both will be on sizeable wages and if we act now, teams ahead of us with budget remaining will probably compete - so we might need to be patient, let those teams spend and act later in the window when players become a bit more desperate to secure playing time.

1 minute ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Füllkrug - but outside of that West Han have Bowen, Ings and Antonio as strikers, so they will probably be in for one more striker before the window closes.

I’d put Abraham in the same category as Reiss Nelson in terms of transfer for us.

Both will be on sizeable wages and if we act now, teams ahead of us with budget remaining will probably compete - so we might need to be patient, let those teams spend and act later in the window when players become a bit more desperate to secure playing time.

I would take Antonio right now if he’s surplus to requirements at West Ham.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Happy Fox said:

He’s 34 - and will be on a whopping wage - probably something like £100,000 a week.

Ayew, as a comparison is 32 and is probably closer to £30,000 a week.

So Antonio - way out of our price range and not the answer we’re looking for in terms of striking options, we want someone we can rotate with Vardy, i.e. one start, play 60-75 minutes, the other comes on last 15.

Fotis certainly fits that profile - so I imagine we’ll have had some contact with  Panathinaikos since their Ajax game.

1 hour ago, Happy Fox said:

He was a real handful in his prime but you’d be lucky to get a dozen games out of him, it would 

also mean our main 2 strikers would have a combined age of over 70yrs.

• Like 1

Fotis Ioannidis is stepping up pressure on Panathinaikos directors to join Sporting.

The forward made his decision a long time ago but the Greeks' elimination from the Europa League reinforced that desire.

The next 4/5 days are decisive.

• Haha 4