Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ozleicester

How will you vote on Thursday?

How will you vote on Thursday?  

220 members have voted

1. 1. How will you vote on Thursday?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Lib Dem
    • Green
    • Reform
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/07/24 at 16:01

46 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Try reading their manifesto. It's full of great ones.

Get more teachers. Have more police. Make energy cheaper.

You gotta provide a bit more than the mind numbingly obvious..

It's the the football equivalent of a manager saying 'do more goals'

• Like 1

I’ve still not decided.

I won’t vote labour. I have some money and I’d like to keep some of it. 

Conservatives have been a joke of a party, I like Sunak in isolation but I can’t forgive the cluster before him.

Reform feels like I’m voting for Brexit and I was against that. Even a protest vote feels dirty. 

No once else really exists. So I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Democracy is a bit it a myth in this country. No one used first past the post anymore.

Not that "first past the post" is truly democratic as the number of seats doesn't reflect the number ofvotes cast.

In fact, you could argue that FPTP has for decades produced tactical voting.  It has produced a two party system, such that most people tend to vote for Labour or Conservative not because they positively favour the party but they believe that voting Libdem, Green or other will have no impact ... so it's a negative rather than an affirmative vote.

7 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Get more teachers. Have more police. Make energy cheaper.

You gotta provide a bit more than the mind numbingly obvious..

It's the the football equivalent of a manager saying 'do more goals'

You've not read it then. Fair enough.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Sly said:

I’ve still not decided.

Conservatives have been a joke of a party, I like Sunak in isolation but I can’t forgive the cluster before him.

Reform feels like I’m voting for Brexit and I was against that. Even a protest vote feels dirty. 

Largely the same, except I'm ok with increased taxes in exchange for better (and reformed) public services.

Agree re Sunak. He's a talent but leads a joke of a party that can't actually stand him yet adore garbage like Truss / Johnson 

Reform as a fierce pro European is a no.go..

Leaves Greens, who've been poor this campaign and  leaves the honest but ineffective Lib Dems.

It's.Lib Dem for me. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Sly said:

I’ve still not decided.

Try a local independant, if there is one

2 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Where is this data from please?  I checked a few weeks back and the predictor that first gave Labour that huge win overall gave a 1% split in favour of Labour to win here.

I really don't see Costa losing here.  I'd love it if he did, but I still can't see it happening.

The boundaries have changed as well and includes more Tory voting areas (old Harborough district) than last time.  Costa is canvassing the villages predominantly in the south of the county and hasn't ventured too far towards the outskirts of the city.  As expected, I haven't seen him or anyone else for that matter.  Just a fair few Lib Dem wooden signs here and there dotting the local landscape lol

image.thumb.png.431979e7ca21df6d68d46b48b1b714eb.png

The one above is from Stopthetories & is showing a slim Tory win.  

The prediction I previously showed was from ElectoralCalculus, with Labour edging it.

They may have different predicted outcomes, but are both close enough to make it worth voting.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

My constituency is Harborough. It's tipped to go red, and I want to vote Lib Dem, the LD's will be a trailing 3rd in Harborough, so ultimately a wasted vote. I've swapped my vote with someone who lives in a very tight Tory/Lib Dem seat, and they will vote LD for me, in the hope it gets the LD candidate over the line.

The person I have swapped with wants to vote Labour, but it would be a wasted vote in their constituency, so I will vote Labour in Harborough, and that will therefore help to get the Labour candidate in. It's a great way to make your vote count when we are constricted by constituencies where our votes wouldn't otherwise count.

Harborough really tipped to go Labour ? Met the candidate recently, I worry for the constituency if that’s true. 

59 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

You are aware that this government have taken more of your money than Labour actually will, aren't you? The bolded line is pure repetition of confected rubbish.

If they can substantiate the claim then fair enough, otherwise they’ve just repeated nonsense rhetoric that Thatcher and even before would have repeated.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

You are aware that this government have taken more of your money than Labour actually will, aren't you? The bolded line is pure repetition of confected rubbish.

Different times though! Coming out the other end, I’ll be worse off under labour due to my personnel circumstances. 

It’ll all come out in the wash as I expect it to be a labour landslide in reality. 

Labour will need to raise money and I think they’ll realise that some of their polices aren’t sustainable with what they’ve suggested after a short period. 

The reality is that through all governments for the past 30 odd years, the NHS and Infrastructure spending has got worse by largely poor root cause management I’d suggest. It’s a difficult one for the NHS, as I largely think it’s overloaded. However throwing more money at it is just going to mask the problems it has. 

Privatising the railways was a disaster by Major, I can see A British Energy Company going the same way. HS2 is another white elephant. 

People won’t forgive Johnson for his antics, however in hindsight, Blair sending us to a war in Iraq was every bit as bad, if not worse than anything this government has done. 

Starmer is a different person though and this is a different labour. He’s not ideal, however I prefer him to Johnson and Truss, but not May or Sunak. The conservatives have a divide amongst themselves. At least Starmer sorted the divide out within labour by booting out all the Corbyn philosophers out, which in effect is strong leadership in terms of setting up a cohesive unit, even if you don’t agree with the policy etc.

I’m conflicted and the likelihood hood is at this time I won’t vote for the first time, as we’ll be jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire. 

Edited by Sly
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, deep blue said:

Not that "first past the post" is truly democratic as the number of seats doesn't reflect the number ofvotes cast.

In fact, you could argue that FPTP has for decades produced tactical voting.  It has produced a two party system, such that most people tend to vote for Labour or Conservative not because they positively favour the party but they believe that voting Libdem, Green or other will have no impact ... so it's a negative rather than an affirmative vote.

The irony is that now that reform are infections the country first past the post doesn't feel too bad. 

Edited by Grebfromgrebland
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Daggers said:

The NHS, education, the police - all the services - functioned under the last Labour government. Families had a safety net and support, homelessness had been driven down; society functioned. 

That’s not something that can be ascribed to the UK under any ensuing Tory PM. Cameron’s austerity was an ideological drive to wreck society for everyone but the entitled and affluent. Something Sunak returned to “on steroids” - quite how that is laudable and places him above Starmer beggars belief. 

Sunak promised integrity but has spent his time in office pushing culture wars, racism and division - laughable that he ends it whining about being called a p***. 

Nothing works. 

Fourteen years of Tories, the party of fiscal competence, and everything is broken, we are at record levels of debt, and they’re all making out like robbers with pockets stuffed full of cash. Russians in the Lords, Mone laughing on her boat, the only words that should be associated with all five administrations is ineptitude and corruption. 

Nothing works. 

Clearly that isn’t important to those of you with cash to circumvent life’s inconveniences. Maybe that’s why it’s so easy for Tories to point a grubby finger at Muslims knowing that the thick and the racist will leap on it. It’s not just incompetent, it’s plain evil. Constantly driving a wedge between sections of society to cover up for permanent failure in office. 

I spent a chunk of this fvcked up period observing it close up, privy to the influence being exerted from Tufton St. The venal self interest, the wanton stupidity, the alcohol - always with the alcohol - flowing as freely as the coke. Every policy idea created not for the benefit of the country but for the individual or a company. 

Nothing fvcking works. 

The food bank (itself a bastardisation that stands for the pseudo Dickensian era we now live in) I volunteer at is on its knees, unable to cope with demand. The homeless shelter I volunteer at faces similar pressures because needs can’t be met. This is vile. This is because of May and Sunak as much as Cameron and Johnson. This is certainly because of Truss. 

Society functioned under Blair and Brown, now it’s like we’re living in a version of Down And Out In Paris And London

You may have no worries about turning on the heating, the same can’t be said for the families where they go without food to pay for school shoes. 

Other countries invested, we penalised the worst off, the weakest, because we were led by cvnts. And some seem to think that going even more extreme, become even more selfish and stupid is the answer - absolute d1ckheads.

You come across as a decent sort, but excuse me if I don’t care if you’ll be worse off under Labour. You won’t be left cold, homeless and hungry - and that’s been the direct impact of fourteen years of selfishness and hate.

Because nothing fvcking works.  

I too volunteer at my local food bank and have seen first hand the impact the cost of living crisis has had within the last two years. 

I don’t think the cost of living crisis can all be attributed at the door of the tories. The world is in a strange place, coming off the back of a pandemic and a war on the Eastern borders of Europe. 

What annoys me more than anything to be honest is how commodity suppliers, house builders, service providers, technology suppliers etc have brazenly flouted record breaking taxes. These need tackling. 

As a country I don’t think we’ve ever tackled the root causes of why our services are broken.

The UKs population in 2000 was nearly 59m. Today we’re at 68m. Our population is higher than the likes of France, Spain, Australia, Poland, Canada, all of Scandinavia etc . It’s not all migration and people coming in boats either. We are overwhelmed with a growing population, over inflated house prices and let’s be honest, we are an island and no one wants anything built near them.

Our smaller land mass is overwhelmed. We don’t have the infrastructure with the services you mentioned to cope with the number of people we have. 

Planning policies are a mess and have been for years. Build times are slow and I’ve witnessed them being slowed down first hand, so developers can get more money by doing the old “low volume, high price” strategy. 

I’m not sure any of the parties know what to do about it if I’m honest. Reform have a brutally honest approach but Rishi wanting to send folks to Rewanda isn’t exactly ideal either. We could do with spreading the population across the world a bit more but that needs to be a personal choice, not because we want people gone. That’s a whole other argument about open borders that bloody brexit made more difficult. 

Maybe we need to start sending criminals to Australia again :ph34r:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Tuna said:

Try a local independant, if there is one

My independent is Andrew Bridgend. I can’t vote for him either lol

• Haha 1

I hate this incarnation of Labour and their weather vane, right leaning signalling bullshit but even they will be better than anything the Tories ever bring.

Since 2010, the Tories have destroyed the UK.

The fact that Reform (remember, a Ltd company) is polling so high is an indictment on UK society.

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
1 hour ago, Daggers said:

The NHS, education, the police - all the services - functioned under the last Labour government. Families had a safety net and support, homelessness had been driven down; society functioned. 

That’s not something that can be ascribed to the UK under any ensuing Tory PM. Cameron’s austerity was an ideological drive to wreck society for everyone but the entitled and affluent. Something Sunak returned to “on steroids” - quite how that is laudable and places him above Starmer beggars belief. 

Sunak promised integrity but has spent his time in office pushing culture wars, racism and division - laughable that he ends it whining about being called a p***. 

Nothing works. 

Fourteen years of Tories, the party of fiscal competence, and everything is broken, we are at record levels of debt, and they’re all making out like robbers with pockets stuffed full of cash. Russians in the Lords, Mone laughing on her boat, the only words that should be associated with all five administrations is ineptitude and corruption. 

Nothing works. 

Clearly that isn’t important to those of you with cash to circumvent life’s inconveniences. Maybe that’s why it’s so easy for Tories to point a grubby finger at Muslims knowing that the thick and the racist will leap on it. It’s not just incompetent, it’s plain evil. Constantly driving a wedge between sections of society to cover up for permanent failure in office. 

I spent a chunk of this fvcked up period observing it close up, privy to the influence being exerted from Tufton St. The venal self interest, the wanton stupidity, the alcohol - always with the alcohol - flowing as freely as the coke. Every policy idea created not for the benefit of the country but for the individual or a company. 

Nothing fvcking works. 

The food bank (itself a bastardisation that stands for the pseudo Dickensian era we now live in) I volunteer at is on its knees, unable to cope with demand. The homeless shelter I volunteer at faces similar pressures because needs can’t be met. This is vile. This is because of May and Sunak as much as Cameron and Johnson. This is certainly because of Truss. 

Society functioned under Blair and Brown, now it’s like we’re living in a version of Down And Out In Paris And London

You may have no worries about turning on the heating, the same can’t be said for the families where they go without food to pay for school shoes. 

Other countries invested, we penalised the worst off, the weakest, because we were led by cvnts. And some seem to think that going even more extreme, become even more selfish and stupid is the answer - absolute d1ckheads.

You come across as a decent sort, but excuse me if I don’t care if you’ll be worse off under Labour. You won’t be left cold, homeless and hungry - and that’s been the direct impact of fourteen years of selfishness and hate.

Because nothing fvcking works.  

I agree ‘nothing fookin works’.

But I can talk with some authority about the NHS. It is NOT only about money. We have wards we could open tomorrow, but we can’t staff them. There aren’t enough staff, nationally.
However, when I told you yesterday that the picture IS improving slightly under the Tories (at least, in my area), we are now starting to get more staff again. Both registered and unregistered are slowly starting to increase in numbers, such that the reliance on agency staff is lessening significantly.
Chucking more dosh at anything, without effective budget management, effective recruitment campaigns AND the Labour market being available, will change nothing.

I’m not voting anymore and I’m guessing a substantially large percentage of people will not bother too.  

I did vote in the poll above and hit ‘other’ as it nearly represented my view!

It just appears to be more bread + circus, and tbh I had forgotten about the general election until I wandered into the general chat thread this morning.

I used to vote, I used to believe in this system but not any more.

I feel sad to see how we really have nobody representing us. Not one politician represents us if we’re honest.

All I can see as a political outsider is the Tories deliberately threw their vote to allow labour in.  Then the media steer the herd to get labour in.

I guess when Labour get in there will be a few small crumbs thrown out to the masses before the continuation of the real policy gets carried out.

If I look at this with different eyes I guess they need Labour in to get the next stage of stricter policy through.  It will land easier with Labour delivering it instead of Tories.

For those voting, have a great day, then back to work for more of the same!

5 hours ago, Sly said:

Different times though! Coming out the other end, I’ll be worse off under labour due to my personnel circumstances. 

It’ll all come out in the wash as I expect it to be a labour landslide in reality. 

Labour will need to raise money and I think they’ll realise that some of their polices aren’t sustainable with what they’ve suggested after a short period. 

The reality is that through all governments for the past 30 odd years, the NHS and Infrastructure spending has got worse by largely poor root cause management I’d suggest. It’s a difficult one for the NHS, as I largely think it’s overloaded. However throwing more money at it is just going to mask the problems it has. 

Privatising the railways was a disaster by Major, I can see A British Energy Company going the same way. HS2 is another white elephant. 

People won’t forgive Johnson for his antics, however in hindsight, Blair sending us to a war in Iraq was every bit as bad, if not worse than anything this government has done. 

Starmer is a different person though and this is a different labour. He’s not ideal, however I prefer him to Johnson and Truss, but not May or Sunak. The conservatives have a divide amongst themselves. At least Starmer sorted the divide out within labour by booting out all the Corbyn philosophers out, which in effect is strong leadership in terms of setting up a cohesive unit, even if you don’t agree with the policy etc.

I’m conflicted and the likelihood hood is at this time I won’t vote for the first time, as we’ll be jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire. 

I thank you sincerely for answering in good faith. It doesn't matter whether I agree or not.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I thank you sincerely for answering in good faith. It doesn't matter whether I agree or not.

Yes agree with this, some honest answers without the fear of internet nerds chasing you down is good reading 

1 hour ago, Sly said:

My independent is Andrew Bridgend. I can’t vote for him either lol

Are you suggesting that this hasn't swayed you?? How about the music track he's released?? 😳🙄😂

Screenshot_2024-07-02-09-14-29-93_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Yes agree with this, some honest answers without the fear of internet nerds chasing you down is good reading 

It's too exhausting, and I am depressed enough with what's going on in the USA to attack a good human.

• Like 1