Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ozleicester

How will you vote on Thursday?

How will you vote on Thursday?  

220 members have voted

1. 1. How will you vote on Thursday?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Lib Dem
    • Green
    • Reform
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/07/24 at 16:01

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Perhaps don't assume everyone fits into a category based what you read on a forum? Not saying we're all gonna be mega different, but with respect you don't know me and I don't know you. So I won't label you or categorise you, out of respect too. 

I agree about my passive aggression. No denying that but I also make no apologies for it :)

I also agree that more money doesn't equal better services at the click of a finger. I understand it is much more than that. I understand that even if money is given out to each service, it has to be appropriated and given out sensibly. But what we have all seen across the board under this government is services being decimated in 14 yrs and services/individuals either giving the service or receiving it have suffered greatly because in general the money hasn't been there. There may be examples of funding being given in isolated cases (perhaps in your experience?) but overall it doesn't follow suit across the country.

Interesting you bring up crime rates as that's something that has had a direct effect on cuts made by Tories. 

They destroyed youth social services, which in turn led people away from local community projects and had them (not everyone, I know) turn to and resort to crime. Under previous governments these kinds of services in the heart of communities were present - local neighbourhood police & youth clubs for example. There used to be so many and they were beneficial for the communities they served. And this is something I can 100% fall back on as evidence in various residential areas and estates I've worked in since 2010. 

I don't want to come across as thinking Labour are some kind of magician or geniuses and that all of life's problems will be solved on 5th July. But I'd like to think we're giving the next generation a better start in life with Tories out and at least giving someone else a chance to get society into a better place. I think Labour will make progress in doing that but it takes time to undo such destruction of society and the Tories have to hold some accountability to that. 

Get a job hippy lol

Edited by Tommy Fresh
  • Haha 4

On 01/07/2024 at 19:30, FoxesDeb said:

It's with https://www.swapmyvote.uk/ 

Incredibly easy to use, and you can check the likelihood of your vote making a difference within the constituency of the person you agree to swap with before you choose. 

I had a couple of people offer to swap with me, I'd agreed to vote Labour in Harborough if someone would vote Lib Dem for me, and some of the offers I received were for pretty safe LD seats anyway, I chose someone who lives somewhere where the Tory/LD vote is pretty close in the hope it will help get the LD candidate over the line. 

All eyes on Didcot and Wantage, where my Lib Dem vote is being cast. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, leicsmac said:

And will only get messier.

Not sure how that will be addressed successfully, but I would posit that better cooperation would help.

It would be great to get all of our smartest people together and agree a way forward. 

6 minutes ago, Sly said:

It would be great to get all of our smartest people together and agree a way forward. 

Yeah, but apparently that would be "elitism" and scientists and other people versed in these matters shouldn't be making political decisions.

4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Yeah, but apparently that would be "elitism" and scientists and other people versed in these matters shouldn't be making political decisions.

Ha, you’re not wrong.

It’s not a one size fits all approach unfortunately and you’ll never please everyone.

The reality is that our smallish sized island has a population that is increasing by around 200,000 people per year. 

When you consider where the money is leaking out of the system, the boat has so many holes in it letting water in, we basically need to build a new boat! 

People are living longer

A lower % of the population are paying income tax

The NHS is on its knees, getting a GP appointment is like playing the lottery. 

Companies are profiteering on construction projects and energy.

Couple this with everyone having differing views on climate change and it they believe it’s important or not, then it’s a minefield. 

4 minutes ago, Sly said:

Ha, you’re not wrong.

It’s not a one size fits all approach unfortunately and you’ll never please everyone.

The reality is that our smallish sized island has a population that is increasing by around 200,000 people per year. 

When you consider where the money is leaking out of the system, the boat has so many holes in it letting water in, we basically need to build a new boat! 

People are living longer

A lower % of the population are paying income tax

The NHS is on its knees, getting a GP appointment is like playing the lottery. 

Companies are profiteering on construction projects and energy.

Couple this with everyone having differing views on climate change and it they believe it’s important or not, then it’s a minefield. 

There definitely needs to be a more flexible approach to discussing and addressing each issue as each is so different.

(Though speaking personally on the last matter, there is no discussion on the nature of the problem or its consequences IMO; it's a matter of scientific fact. The only discussion is - at its heart - whether or not we're self-interested enough as a species to let the future burn in the name of the status quo in the present.)

• Like 1

At this start of this election, I thought 150 seats was the Tories' baseline.

It's looking increasingly like their ceiling.

On 01/07/2024 at 19:49, Wymsey said:

MattP must be gutted that he can't post in these threads..:whistle:

What ever happened to MattP? Used to be a good laugh 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Muzzy_no7 said:

Curious, other than certain seats keeping the Tories out..what on earth is the point in voting Lib 

Do you mean in seats where they trail way behind? Or in general?

Edited by FoxesDeb

12 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Wonder how long before "swap my vote"  becomes "buy my vote"... and maybe that wouldnt be a bad thing :ph34r:

Tories have already implemented “steal my postal vote”

7 hours ago, Muzzy_no7 said:

Curious, other than certain seats keeping the Tories out..what on earth is the point in voting Lib Dem? 

I'm hoping they'll be the official opposition after Thursday. I urge anyone who's in a seat where it's worthwhile, please vote lib dem. Imagine the scenes when the torys come 3rd

4 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

I'm hoping they'll be the official opposition after Thursday. I urge anyone who's in a seat where it's worthwhile, please vote lib dem. Imagine the scenes when the torys come 3rd

If you look at the opinion polls, I’d say Lib Dem’s are likely to finish 4th.

The opinion polls can be wrong though! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, leicsmac said:

It seems to be quite unpopular in France right now.

7 hours ago, Bilo said:

At this start of this election, I thought 150 seats was the Tories' baseline.

It's looking increasingly like their ceiling.

I still think a lot of the "undecided" voters will be Tory voters who don't want to admit it.  Labour will win very comfortably, but the wipeout less than 100 seats I don't think is going to eventuate.

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

I still think a lot of the "undecided" voters will be Tory voters who don't want to admit it.  Labour will win very comfortably, but the wipeout less than 100 seats I don't think is going to eventuate.

I agree that double figures is highly unlikely, but 120-150 looks more likely than anything over that number.

They got 165 in 1997 with all of the electoral threat coming from the left in Labour and the centre in the Lib Dems. They have the same again now, but with a far bigger threat coming from the right with Reform. The Referendum Party were nowhere near as dangerous in '97.

Also, the Conservative campaign in 1997 wasn't the complete and unmitigated disaster that this one's been. 

It's a complete perfect storm this time and they are in enormous trouble.

2 minutes ago, Bilo said:

I agree that double figures is highly unlikely, but 120-150 looks more likely than anything over that number.

They got 165 in 1997 with all of the electoral threat coming from the left in Labour and the centre in the Lib Dems. They have the same again now, but with a far bigger threat coming from the right with Reform. The Referendum Party were nowhere near as dangerous in '97.

Also, the Conservative campaign in 1997 wasn't the complete and unmitigated disaster that this one's been. 

It's a complete perfect storm this time and they are in enormous trouble.

Unfortunately, yes.  God know who will be left to pick up the pieces.

8 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Unfortunately, yes.  God know who will be left to pick up the pieces.

I doubt there'll be much effective opposition going on in the first term as the shell shock gives way to soul searching followed by infighting between the remnants of the One Nation faction saying 'I told you so' and the right wanting to jump in bed with Farage. 

With that going on, all Starmer's Labour needs do is look vaguely sane and competent to back a second win in 2029. 

3 minutes ago, Bilo said:

I doubt there'll be much effective opposition going on in the first term as the shell shock gives way to soul searching followed by infighting between the remnants of the One Nation faction saying 'I told you so' and the right wanting to jump in bed with Farage. 

With that going on, all Starmer's Labour needs do is look vaguely sane and competent to back a second win in 2029. 

I'd tentatively agree, but then I look at the last five years and all that's happened and think no one can be sure, especially given what's happening in Europe and the US right now.

3 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I'd tentatively agree, but then I look at the last five years and all that's happened and think no one can be sure, especially given what's happening in Europe and the US right now.

I can see this point of view, but in France we've seen the traditional mainstream parties fall by the wayside on left and right. Macron's party is effectively brand new itself and his government hasn't been a paragon of sanity and competence, plus its far-right is so well-established that the leadership is on its second generation Le Pen.

I suspect that a Conservative Party going into a 2029 General Election with Farage or Braverman as leader with a Reform manifesto gets obliterated by anything but a woefully incompetent Labour government. Whenever Reform's policies and personalities have been subjected to even light scrutiny, they have absolutely crumbled.