Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ozleicester

How will you vote on Thursday?

How will you vote on Thursday?  

220 members have voted

1. 1. How will you vote on Thursday?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Lib Dem
    • Green
    • Reform
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/07/24 at 16:01

I hope my postal vote made it back to West Sussex but I rather doubt it.  Polls showing a Lib Dem win from Tory so hopefully it doesn't matter.  If it is very close I will be demanding they count postal votes which arrive after the deadline but were posted before.

Posted (edited)

Can recommend this site for anyone still struggling to decide. 

Really do think about your answers though and click on more options rather than yes or no. 

www.uk.isidewith.com

Edited by Lako42

1 hour ago, Lako42 said:

Can recommend this site for anyone still struggling to decide. 

Really do think about your answers though and click on more options rather than yes or no. 

https://uk.isidewith.com

Thanks for sharing, although the link takes you to what I assume is your own personal results, so I'd suggest you edit the URL removing the profile part if you want to keep this private. :schmike:

11 hours ago, Daggers said:

I think the six weeks have been a brilliant example that we can talk politics on the forum. 

You mean "spouting all our prejudices and bollox" ?   Let's face it, most of us are guilty of it ..................................

Guest Col city fan
2 hours ago, Lako42 said:

Absolute nonsense 

If this was ‘absolute nonsense’ (not basing this on any political bias), Labour would have remained in power because they were doing such a great job.

Some people have very short memories. Before the Tories started their years in power, Labour’s vote across the country was massively down, leading to huge swings of blue. 
Why? Because THEY were fookin it all up and the populace had become sick of it. Particularly re the economy. 
It all goes in cycles in UK politics and always has. But taking ‘bollox’ is to say that Labour were succeeding as a political party. They weren’t, so they were ditched. If they were, they wouldn’t have been ditched.

4 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

If this was ‘absolute nonsense’ (not basing this on any political bias), Labour would have remained in power because they were doing such a great job.

Some people have very short memories. Before the Tories started their years in power, Labour’s vote across the country was massively down, leading to huge swings of blue. 
Why? Because THEY were fookin it all up and the populace had become sick of it. Particularly re the economy. 
It all goes in cycles in UK politics and always has. But taking ‘bollox’ is to say that Labour were succeeding as a political party. They weren’t, so they were ditched. If they were, they wouldn’t have been ditched.

David Cameron beat Gordon Brown to be PM didnt he?

Maybe thats why rather than Labour leaving the country so much in the shit like it is now?

Guest Col city fan
12 minutes ago, StanSP said:

In that respect, yes. 

But no one can't realistically argue that Tories made everything better. Stuff has just got worse since they've been in power, progressively so. 

Lack of competent leaders, economic instability, allegations of corruption, fraud, bribes, sexual assaults, inciting division. Just a sheer lack of control or discipline particularly in the last 5-10yrs.

Okay yeah things became bad enough under Labour for them to lose power. They're not any better than when they left office though. 

Tories now are worse than when Labour lost. 

I always consider how much any perceived ‘decline’ is directly attributable to government policy? My view is that, societally, we are ‘in decline’ anyway. This brings me back to the point I made yesterday regarding young people smashing up their own communities. That would have been something I’d have never done. I wouldn’t have thought it was a good idea and I’d have been scared re the repercussions of this. This issue about repercussions is an interesting one. A couple of my mates work in Leicester schools and regularly mention that policing these schools is almost impossible these days, because the kids know that the teachers can’t do much about it. Re the police.. we all know the stories about the prisons being full and that people who shop-lift won’t be prosecuted until

they steal above £200 quids worth of stuff. The police are hamstrung, as are the teachers because people know they can get away with all sorts of stuff (that I couldn’t have done as a kid). 
How much of this is due directly to what the Tories have done (I thought the Tories were historically meant to be tougher on crime than Labour?) and how much is it due to the perversion of liberal attitudes and an almost laissez-faire attitude on law and order? Did Labour do any better in this respect that the Conservatives? Or did some of this ‘societal decline’ start under Labour?

It’s not only about money and the public purse. Societally, I feel the decline has been happening for a long time. Will Labour improve this? Well, well no doubt find out after today.

15 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

They were always going to lose the battle on rhetoric following the financial crash. Cameron and Osborne had successfully convinced the country that the fall out from the financial crash was the fault of the New Labour administration, when the crash was caused by American firms investing in sub-prime mortgages. I will accept that we could have been better protected from the financial crash but that is because New Labour had continued to deregulate the financial sector up until the crash. However, that would have been far worse if we had a conservative government because they wanted even more deregulation throughout that period. 

It's also worth mentioning that David Cameron was considered a modern and dynamic leader that had made the tories electable again. Gordon Brown was looking more washed up, as a lot of Prime Ministers do towards the the fag end of a government (see John Major in the 90s) and his campaign tanked with the "bigoted woman" comment and the right-wing newspapers that New Labour had won over had all turned. Everything pointed towards defeat and even then, their defeat wasn't anywhere near as devastating as the tories are going to face today. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, BenTheFox said:

They were always going to lose the battle on rhetoric following the financial crash. Cameron and Osborne had successfully convinced the country that the fall out from the financial crash was the fault of the New Labour administration, when the crash was caused by American firms investing in sub-prime mortgages. I will accept that we could have been better protected from the financial crash but that is because New Labour had continued to deregulate the financial sector up until the crash. However, that would have been far worse if we had a conservative government because they wanted even more deregulation throughout that period. 

It's also worth mentioning that David Cameron was considered a modern and dynamic leader that had made the tories electable again. Gordon Brown was looking more washed up, as a lot of Prime Ministers do towards the the fag end of a government (see John Major in the 90s) and his campaign tanked with the "bigoted woman" comment and the right-wing newspapers that New Labour had won over had all turned. Everything pointed towards defeat and even then, their defeat wasn't anywhere near as devastating as the tories are going to face today. 

I will also add that the Tories were thrashed in 97 and that Major government was miles better that the current one. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, filthyfox said:

Well... I'm not voting today. All alternatives are SO bad, I will not be held responsible

Oh cool. Where do you want your medal posting?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Guest Col city fan
1 minute ago, BenTheFox said:

I will also add that the Tories were thrashed in 97 and that Major government was miles better that the current one. 

It’s all ifs and buts.

The point I’m making is that when Labour take power tomorrow, let’s hope that all those things that people on here feel will ‘improve society’ actually come to fruition. 
Labours win will be huge and they seem better organised to govern. This is their chance to radically improve public services, the crime rate etc etc.

I hope they do, for God’s sake! I go nowhere near the centre of Leicester now because it’s become a shit-hole. I read that there is a crime involving knives in Leicester city every DAY now! It’s that bad. Will Labour reverse this. We’ll all have to hope so.

46 minutes ago, Raj said:

David Cameron beat Gordon Brown to be PM didnt he?

Maybe thats why rather than Labour leaving the country so much in the shit like it is now?

It was more an away draw rather than a win - hung parliament. Needed the Lib Dems for help. 

37 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I always consider how much any perceived ‘decline’ is directly attributable to government policy? My view is that, societally, we are ‘in decline’ anyway. This brings me back to the point I made yesterday regarding young people smashing up their own communities. That would have been something I’d have never done. I wouldn’t have thought it was a good idea and I’d have been scared re the repercussions of this. This issue about repercussions is an interesting one. A couple of my mates work in Leicester schools and regularly mention that policing these schools is almost impossible these days, because the kids know that the teachers can’t do much about it. Re the police.. we all know the stories about the prisons being full and that people who shop-lift won’t be prosecuted until

they steal above £200 quids worth of stuff. The police are hamstrung, as are the teachers because people know they can get away with all sorts of stuff (that I couldn’t have done as a kid). 
How much of this is due directly to what the Tories have done (I thought the Tories were historically meant to be tougher on crime than Labour?) and how much is it due to the perversion of liberal attitudes and an almost laissez-faire attitude on law and order? Did Labour do any better in this respect that the Conservatives? Or did some of this ‘societal decline’ start under Labour?

It’s not only about money and the public purse. Societally, I feel the decline has been happening for a long time. Will Labour improve this? Well, well no doubt find out after today.

I have to say col, that this post makes your obsession with lee cattermole and JET  back in the day look sane. 

There's statistical evidence out there that shows we were better off under labour than the Tory government before and after it. 

Even post financial crash, we'd have been better off with labours fiscal model (as shown in other EU countries) compared to the Tory austerity. Brexit would have never happened either.

As others have said, the torys won the battle on rhetoric, and as an electorate we gave them power. The biggest crime in it all was then getting the majority in 2015. Ed milliband would have been much better but let's not forget how he eats a ****ing bacon sarnie. And people kept lapping it up and voting Tory, even though the writing was on the wall. 

• Like 2