Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ozleicester

How will you vote on Thursday?

How will you vote on Thursday?  

220 members have voted

1. 1. How will you vote on Thursday?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Lib Dem
    • Green
    • Reform
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/07/24 at 16:01

I think it's the apathetic labour voters I find most baffling. 

They will 100% win the election. There's no need to tactically vite the Tories out. 

Instead, instead of a begrudged vote for Labour then vote for a minor party and build a real mixed parliament 

2 hours ago, pSinatra said:

Want to vote Green

Going to vote Labour

Same here.👍🏾

My vote would be wasted as the Tory here has a massive lead (Rutland constituency)over Labour.

Only Labour can challenge her.

Edited by Raj

I live in an area where it is a one party stronghold so my vote won't count for much. So doesn't matter if I vote or not. We definitely need proportional representation brought in.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

They will 100% win the election. There's no need to tactically vite the Tories out. 

Instead, instead of a begrudged vote for Labour then vote for a minor party and build a real mixed parliament 

Good point I didn't think of. Unlike most of you in Leicestershire, I'm in a very safe Labour seat so I could easily vote for a minority party or boost the voting share for Lib Dems.

I guess the risk is that somehow Labour don't clean up as predicted.

Edited by Nalis

14 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

probably because labour were polling for hung parliament or small majority throughout the 1992 campaign and didn't get it. can see why the fear is there again, Starmer does have the stink of a kinnock about him, but at this point that's labours own fault tbh. 

1 hour ago, Mark_w said:

What do you want Starmer to do in opposition when the Tories have an 80 seat majority? He's pressured them in the Commons, made sure they're held to account for the shit they do and consistently had Labour polling well above where they were at the last General Election. Labour aren't going to win by default, they've worked hard over the last 5 years to expose the Tories and to broaden their appeal so that it's not just a smug holier-than-thou cult of people who think being morally superior to everyone else is more important than getting into power, stopping the Tories doing what the Tories do and undoing some of the damage they've done to our public services. Labour are a party that's incapable of winning by default, the system is literally set up so they can't just win by default, they played a huge part in Johnson's unravelling and they've done remarkably well in the commons to keep the pressure on them in spite of their limited numbers, they've earned the vote of anyone who actually cares about all of the people in the country.

Defend the flipflopping idiot all you want and they are going to win by default,  if the Tories were any good I seriously doubt they'd get back in, two parties that promise a lot and do very little.

13 minutes ago, pSinatra said:

image.png.5b880acff8849cfacdd13e81a13bb529.png

I have seen it mentioned that Leicestershire South is still a Tory safe seat (if such a thing exists) & that voting would be a waste of time.

I haven't always voted, as I couldn't be arsed & "the Tories always win anyway".

I'm not sure how accurate this prediction is but, I'm not going to waste this chance to vote the bastards out

The Tories are going to get mullered, they are even more reviled than when Labour were last voted out under Brown and seem to have gone out of their way to lose, cant wait to see the faces of the buggers has they go one by one.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ithuriel said:

Defend the flipflopping idiot all you want and they are going to win by default,  if the Tories were any good I seriously doubt they'd get back in, two parties that promise a lot and do very little.

You can't do very much when you're in opposition against a government that won a massive majority, what they have done is made themselves electable and increased their support across the country. Pretty much all of our National Services have consistently been better run when Labour are in power - regardless of leader. If you'd rather increase the chances of more Conservative and Reform MPs in the commons, instead of Labour MPs, because you don't like it when Labour try to appeal to a wide enough section of the electorate to actually win, then you do you.

Edited by Mark_w
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mark_w said:

You can't do very much when you're in opposition against a government that won a massive majority, what they have done is made themselves electable and increased their support across the country. Pretty much all of our National Services have consistently been better run when Labour are in power - regardless of leader. If you'd rather increase the chances of more Conservative and Reform MPs in the commons, instead of Labour MPs, because you don't like it when Labour try to appeal to a wide enough section of the electorate to actually win, then you do you.

there's an interesting argument as to whether they have made themselves electable (starmer has pretty shit popularity ratings) or whether they've made themselves safe enough for the press barons to stop propping up the tories (like the tories haven't become any worse since 2019 where Johnson was hiding in fridges and stealing journalists phones - he was Teflon until it no longer suited the press barons at which point a great noticing happened), but in opposition you can still stand for what's right and not, say, stand aside as the tories push legislation to protect police from prosecution for crimes, including sexual offences, committed while spying on protesters. you could also state opposition to what the government are doing rather than saying that the problem with the evil shit like floating prisons for asylum seekers is that it's not been done competently rather than the gross disdain for human rights that it is.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mark_w said:

What do you want Starmer to do in opposition when the Tories have an 80 seat majority? He's pressured them in the Commons, made sure they're held to account for the shit they do and consistently had Labour polling well above where they were at the last General Election. Labour aren't going to win by default, they've worked hard over the last 5 years to expose the Tories and to broaden their appeal so that it's not just a smug holier-than-thou cult of people who think being morally superior to everyone else is more important than getting into power, stopping the Tories doing what the Tories do and undoing some of the damage they've done to our public services. Labour are a party that's incapable of winning by default, the system is literally set up so they can't just win by default, they played a huge part in Johnson's unravelling and they've done remarkably well in the commons to keep the pressure on them in spite of their limited numbers, they've earned the vote of anyone who actually cares about all of the people in the country.

Earned the vote, how stupid does that sound.

I'll return to Labour, having voted Green in 2019 - and having been 50-50 red-green at the start of the campaign.

Not that it makes any difference under FPTP, as I'm in Leicester South where Jon Ashworth had a 22,000+ majority in 2019.

Reasons for switching back:

- I'm cautiously hopeful that Starmer's Labour will prove to be a good govt in difficult circumstances, better than their campaign/declared policies suggest (an instinct, perhaps a leap of faith)

- The Greens' campaign has pissed me off a bit, downplaying unpopular references to climate change in favour of unrealistic public spending policies and (locally) going big on Gaza (a terrible situation, but it's virtue-signaling or inflated national self-importance to believe that UK politicians calling for a ceasefire will have any impact on Netanyahu, when even the US struggles to influence him)

5 hours ago, Nalis said:

Random question - what's the most random party you've had flyers for?

I've had one for Party For Women. Never heard of them before but they are proudly blatant in their anti trans stance. Sad really.

Most unexpected leaflet: Communist Party

Most unexpected leaflet delivery: Reform UK, Greens and 2 different independents, all delivered simultaneously (presumably a hired leaflet delivery firm)

Total leaflets so far:

Labour 3, Greens 3, Lib Dems 1, Reform UK 1, Commies 1, Adam (Ind.) 1, Admani (Ind.) 1, Monster Raving Loonies 0, Tories 0 (:blink:)

10 hours ago, Izzy said:

Probably spoil my paper as it stands.

The whole political system in this country just feels broken, dated, and not fit for purpose anymore.

Interested as to how you would change it?

33 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Interested as to how you would change it?

I dunno exactly but I'm more in favor of PR than FPTP.

All I want is the best brains running the country rather than one particular party having all the power. 

I know I'm dreaming but just wish we could pool the best talent from all corners of the political spectrum to come together collaboratively and do what's the best for the country.

2 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I dunno exactly but I'm more in favor of PR than FPTP.

All I want is the best brains running the country rather than one particular party having all the power. 

I know I'm dreaming but just wish we could pool the best talent from all corners of the political spectrum to come together collaboratively and do what's the best for the country.

You're asking for an epistocracy there which on at least some matters might be better.

The problem however lies in picking the damn epistocrats because everyone has a different definition of what an expert should know, be and do.