Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ozleicester

How will you vote on Thursday?

How will you vote on Thursday?  

220 members have voted

1. 1. How will you vote on Thursday?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Lib Dem
    • Green
    • Reform
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/07/24 at 16:01

3 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

You're asking for an epistocracy there which on at least some matters might be better.

The problem however lies in picking the damn epistocrats because everyone has a different definition of what an expert should know, be and do.

I know it's not practical or workable but I'm tired of safe seats, tactical voting, points scoring, negative campaigning, incompetent ministers etc, etc.

I listen to Starmer and Sunak talk shit then watch Alistair Campbell and Rory Stewart have an adult conversation and just think there must be a better way.

• Like 1

It’s close between Reform and Spoilt Ballot 

I feel like I need to agree with at least 51% of a parties views to get behind them. 

I probably do with Conservatives but can’t forgive their reign. I don’t think Labour know what they stand for or besides being against the tories. Green are too liberal, Lib Dems too wishy washy. 

I think I agree with about 40% of what Farage says so that’s the closest but currently planning to spoil vote. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I know it's not practical or workable but I'm tired of safe seats, tactical voting, points scoring, negative campaigning, incompetent ministers etc, etc.

I listen to Starmer and Sunak talk shit then watch Alistair Campbell and Rory Stewart have an adult conversation and just think there must be a better way.

Fair to say.

I honestly think that a one-size-fits-all policymaking process as we appear to have here in the form of the Commons and Lords Bill processes, while mostly effective, has weaknesses that could become all to apparent - mostly not thinking enough of the long-term.

But perhaps that's an acceptable flaw, huge as it may prove, because every other possible method of policymaking is worse overall.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

Fair to say.

I honestly think that a one-size-fits-all policymaking process as we appear to have here in the form of the Commons and Lords Bill processes, while mostly effective, has weaknesses that could become all to apparent - mostly not thinking enough of the long-term.

But perhaps that's an acceptable flaw, huge as it may prove, because every other possible method of policymaking is worse overall.

You're far more informed than me mate so I bow to your superior knowledge.

All I know is the number of posters on this thread alone thinking of not voting or spoiling their paper says a lot to me.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's apathetic and disengaged with the whole thing.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Izzy said:

All I know is the number of posters on this thread alone thinking of not voting or spoiling their paper says a lot to me.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's apathetic and disengaged with the whole thing.

There appear to be a great many looking to do exactly as you say or look for a third option - namely Reform, for the most part. None of those things end well IMO.

I totally agree that we need a better system mate and that's why I mentioned the flaws in the current one above, I just wish I knew how best to implement it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MPH said:

At least you don’t have to choose between Trump or Biden…

Agreed.

(Aside from a cursory look at the policies making that choice crystal clear and obvious to anyone with a modicum of empathy beyond their own line of sight, though.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

I dunno exactly but I'm more in favor of PR than FPTP.

All I want is the best brains running the country rather than one particular party having all the power. 

I know I'm dreaming but just wish we could pool the best talent from all corners of the political spectrum to come together collaboratively and do what's the best for the country.

Your choice but I'd advise voting for a party in favour of PR instead of just sitting at home. Nobody in charge is going to assume you want change if you just sit at home on Thursday.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Your choice but I'd advise voting for a party in favour of PR instead of just sitting at home. Nobody in charge is going to assume you want change if you just sit at home on Thursday.

Exactly. Several of the main parties advocate for PR and refusing to vote for it isn’t going to cause change. 

People should have the right not to vote, but refusing to vote because you want the system to change strikes me as incredibly counter-intuitive. You don’t have to vote Labour or Tory and even if the smaller party you vote for doesn’t get seats the more a party gets votes, the more they influence policy and change the discussions of the public forum.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

Voted Conservative last time, easy vote.

Will vote Labour this time, easy vote.

Have not even come close to changing my mind through the election period.

3 hours ago, Izzy said:

4 people out of 84 have said they’re “Other” in the poll above. 😁

2 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

How will the winning party know if your PR vote wasn’t just an insane vote for racism or throwing paint on national monuments?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

You missed, "None of your business, nark!" from the options.

Edited by ozleicester

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

You missed, "None of your business, nark!" from the options.

four times

Edited by ozleicester

I will not be complacent that Labour are piling into a massive victory and I'll be voting labour, same as 2019, very good local labour candidate who deserved my support in 2019 even if Corbyn didn't. She's standing again, so was always likely to be labour. 

I bit like Alf, I actually think Starmer is going to do a good job under the circumstances. I'm alot more hopeful that if they can steady the ship and build the foundations in term 1, a second term could be a bit more radical and make more of the changes they would like to make, but know they cannot afford at the moment. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Nalis said:

We should probably do another one of these on Thursday anonymised, I'd genuinely be interested in seeing how many people are voting the likes of Reform.

Probably best not to know. 

Edit. Sorry just noticed you said anonymous. But it looks like about a fifth of people on the reform side which is terrifying for me and my children. 

These people must look at Russia and think that's the life I want.

Edited by Grebfromgrebland

Given we had a referendum on changing the electoral system in 2011 which was lost, it would be most interesting to see certain groups calling for a change to PR after this election, confirming that actually it is OK to vote on something again within a short period of time.

Posted (edited)

Voting Labour but can’t stand their current incarnation. It’s a “get the Tories out” vote. Would vote Green if purely on policies but (and I know this may not be the best mindset) no one other than Labour can challenge the Conservatives so I’d rather have an awful Labour Party that I hate in charge than the Tories. Just about. Jeez how depressing is that. 

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Voting Labour but can’t stand their current incarnation. It’s a “get the Tories out” vote. Would vote Green if purely on policies but (and I know this may not be the best mindset) no one other than Labour can challenge the Conservatives so I’d rather have an awful Labour Party that I hate in charge than the Tories. Just about. Jeez how depressing is that. 

It is depressing but it's also not Labours fault that this election has become a 'get the Tories out' exercise. That is purely down to the fact that the Tories have ****ed everything up beyond levels even the most pessimistic of people could imagine. 

Not only have they presided over the worst government I can remember they have also destroyed any meaningful narrative that this election could have had. 

Edited by Lako42

3 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

It is depressing but it's also not Labours fault that this election has become a 'get the Tories out' exercise. That is purely down to the fact that the Tories have ****ed everything up beyond levels even the most pessimistic of people could imagine. 

Not only have they presided over the worst government I can remember they have also destroyed any meaningful narrative that this election could have had. 

It’s their fault they’ve abandoned the working people though. I LOVE the Labour Party. But I LOVE the idea of them. At their core, their roots, the idea of the Labour Party is beautiful. But they’ve let us all down. What they’ve become is ToryLite. Having said all that though, I’d would 100% want them in over the Conservatives. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

One brave soul has said Reform is one of his choices. Given his religious/moral stance, the mind boggles.

Was tempted to ask him directly, but didn't want to derail the thread.

But yeah figures doesn't it  voting Reform/Tories. Ain't no love like Christian love. I always thought the values encompassed caring for the poor and needy, something neither party has any interest in doing.

To get the thread back on track, I'll be voting Labour. I'm not totally happy with them, but they stand the best chance of outing the Tories here.