Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ozleicester

How will you vote on Thursday?

How will you vote on Thursday?  

220 members have voted

1. 1. How will you vote on Thursday?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Lib Dem
    • Green
    • Reform
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/07/24 at 16:01

26 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Arise, Sir Beer Korma

Very impressive seeing as I've done my best to influence people away from voting for him by being arrogant and patronising.

I need to up my offensive game.

• Haha 1

Guest Col city fan
4 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Sorry I thought my question was pretty clear

My question was how it can be seen as a negative trait to be 'well-informed, up-to-date, alert to racial or social discrimination and injustice and so on.

I'm not convinced that being accused of being 'woke' is quite the insult the people who use it as such seem to think it is, that's all

Then I’ve answered the question. Being well informed and alert to injustice isn’t negative. But that’s not the only connotation of ‘woke’, as explained above.

It took time, but glad we got there 

Guest Col city fan
2 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

I'd rather have a load of friends who are 'woke' than not quite simply 

I’d rather have both (and have both). Imo far more interesting and challenging 

15 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I posted the link as one of amongst many many links on the subject. It wasn’t to ‘back-up’ my definition of woke. And if you read up, you’ll see I wrote that’s how I see it (rightly or wrongly). I posted the link because a. You asked the question and b. Sami posted a single definition, pretty much the original, which has moved on.

Like most things, woke is good and bad. Awareness is good. Taking it too far to indoctrinate is bad. I love awareness and gaining knowledge. But I detest being ‘told’ that something is wrong to say, purely because the state (in all its forms) says it is.

Im not sure what you saying (or asking) tbh?

In political terms, one of my concerns about Labour being elected is because ‘woke’ in all its forms, will expand, I think. I’ll be told even more what is ‘right and wrong’ and will be vilified if I question this.

One of the things that REFORM purports (whether you believe Farage or not) is to try to stop some of this. Ie being ‘told’ what to say and think.

Who is vilifying you, Col? 

Guest Col city fan
23 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Who is vilifying you, Col? 

You would!!

I see you as a very passive-aggressive personality!

😂

:P

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

Can someone please explain to me why some people use the term 'woke' like it's an insult, or something to be avoided?

The reason "woke" is used about Emma Watson, for example, in her continued spat with JK Rowling, is because she careful to be seen as being on the right side of tolerance and justice for minorities, while simultaneously being willing to destroy the idea of women's refuges for women who are frightened of men - thereby being perceived by those who call her "woke" to be on the wrong side.  It looks hypocritical.  

(Obviously she is an extreme example because of her obvious hypocrisy in being opposed to everything JK Rowling has seen and done except for the aspects where she can profit by it.  If she has indeed given her entire income from Harry Potter to charity, then I withdraw the accusation of hypocrisy.)

35 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Sorry I thought my question was pretty clear

My question was how it can be seen as a negative trait to be 'well-informed, up-to-date, alert to racial or social discrimination and injustice and so on.

I'm not convinced that being accused of being 'woke' is quite the insult the people who use it as such seem to think it is, that's all

I think basically it's insinuating someone is uptight, overly-sensitive and prone to telling others what not to say. So obviously quite offensive. 

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

You would!!

I see you as a very passive-aggressive personality!

😂

:P

You see counter argument as passive aggressive? I'm as much against political correctness as most people, I detest it. You just don't like it that I constructively criticise you, thus you make it about my character rather than think about what I said. 

Ironically enough, what you do towards me, therefore, is entirely passive aggressive. 

1 minute ago, CosbehFox said:

See I simply don't want to spend time people who aren't alert to racial or social discrimination and injustice. That's a basic moral to live your life from. It's not interesting or challenging rather ignorant imo. 

'Injustice' is pretty subjective though. I think if you try to search out friends who see injustice in the same places as you your life is going to be quite frustrating 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bovril said:

'Injustice' is pretty subjective though. I think if you try to search out friends who see injustice in the same places as you your life is going to be quite frustrating 

I read it as 'racial or social....injustice' rather injustice in a wider sense. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bovril said:

And it's difficult, though often necessary, to navigate those waters, yeah.

Tbh away from such subjective fields scientific and environmental policy should really speak for and stand for itself anyway and is a much more solid argument.

Guest Col city fan
9 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

You see counter argument as passive aggressive? I'm as much against political correctness as most people, I detest it. You just don't like it that I constructively criticise you, thus you make it about my character rather than think about what I said. 

Ironically enough, what you do towards me, therefore, is entirely passive aggressive. 

You’ve gotten me wrong! My opinion of you as being passive-aggressive isn’t based on today! It’s based on years of talking to you on here!

But, again, it’s only a perception and probably completely erroneous.

I perceive many on FT this way tbh. People who are happy to put down by ‘joking’ etc. 
Your opinion of me is probably as an ignorant right-winger?! 
Tis the internet mate. And re ‘constructive criticism’, crikey.. I get so much of that on here that I embrace it!

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

You’ve gotten me wrong! My opinion of you as being passive-aggressive isn’t based on today! It’s based on years of talking to you on here!

But, again, it’s only a perception and probably completely erroneous.

I perceive many on FT this way tbh. People who are happy to put down by ‘joking’ etc. 
Your opinion of me is probably as an ignorant right-winger?! 
Tis the internet mate. And re ‘constructive criticism’, crikey.. I get so much of that on here that I embrace it!

Please don't suggest what I might think of you - it certainly isn't that, and generally I find you very agreeable.

I have tried to put people down less, as a result of what you observed. I have no desire to vilify anything other than views that are abhorrent, and I wish to retain the right to express my opinion, and not be cowed by argumentative bullies (not you, I assure you) into silence. I hope you would support my desire not to be silenced.

Guest Col city fan
1 minute ago, HighPeakFox said:

Please don't suggest what I might think of you - it certainly isn't that, and generally I find you very agreeable.

I have tried to put people down less, as a result of what you observed. I have no desire to vilify anything other than views that are abhorrent, and I wish to retain the right to express my opinion, and not be cowed by argumentative bullies (not you, I assure you) into silence. I hope you would support my desire not to be silenced.

You’re one of my favourite posters on the forum mate. Always have been. 
For exactly the reasons you state above. Silencing you would be detrimental to the forum.

👍

Guest Col city fan
32 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

See I simply don't want to spend time people who aren't alert to racial or social discrimination and injustice. That's a basic moral to live your life from. It's not interesting or challenging rather ignorant imo. 

Nor do I tbh. But neither do I want to spend time with people who want to force that down my neck and to turn their nose up if they don’t perceive me as some sort of Mother Theresa.

There are times that I’ll lob a grenade in just to stir up the conversation. Then it becomes interesting and challenging. And real of course.

The world is not full of harmonial justice. It never has been. And if anything, it’s becoming even more dangerous. THAT needs talking about and discussing.

4 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Nor do I tbh. But neither do I want to spend time with people who want to force that down my neck and to turn their nose up if they don’t perceive me as some sort of Mother Theresa.

There are times that I’ll lob a grenade in just to stir up the conversation. Then it becomes interesting and challenging. And real of course.

The world is not full of harmonial justice. It never has been. And if anything, it’s becoming even more dangerous. THAT needs talking about and discussing.

Mother Theresa has been cancelled :ph34r:

Just realised I haven't answered the question yet. 

I'm swapping my vote with someone in Romsey and Southampton North who is going to vote Lib Dem for me, the polls there are currently at around 33% Tory and 31% LD, so hopefully it might make a difference. I will then vote Labour in my constituency, Harborough, for them. No point me voting Lib Dem there, and there's no point the person I'm swapping with voting Labour in their constituency.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, FoxesDeb said:

Just realised I haven't answered the question yet. 

I'm swapping my vote with someone in Romsey and Southampton North who is going to vote Lib Dem for me, the polls there are currently at around 33% Tory and 31% LD, so hopefully it might make a difference. I will then vote Labour in my constituency, Harborough, for them. No point me voting Lib Dem there, and there's no point the person I'm swapping with voting Labour in their constituency.

So, just between us, who are you really voting for? ;)

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Can someone please explain to me why some people use the term 'woke' like it's an insult, or something to be avoided?

its the follow up to "do-gooder"... also somehow considered an insult lol 

• Like 1