Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ozleicester

How will you vote on Thursday?

How will you vote on Thursday?  

220 members have voted

1. 1. How will you vote on Thursday?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Lib Dem
    • Green
    • Reform
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/07/24 at 16:01

20 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Just realised I haven't answered the question yet. 

I'm swapping my vote with someone in Romsey and Southampton North who is going to vote Lib Dem for me, the polls there are currently at around 33% Tory and 31% LD, so hopefully it might make a difference. I will then vote Labour in my constituency, Harborough, for them. No point me voting Lib Dem there, and there's no point the person I'm swapping with voting Labour in their constituency.

Do you live abroad all the time or ever come back to the UK for a set period?

On that note. Noticed reading in the French election today that they have a set number of seats for Brits who live abroad. 

I know we have a 17th century voting system but it seems bizarre to me we don’t have that. Having to vote in a constituency you haven’t lived for years seems odd.

Not to mention the issues which are more important to Brits living abroad are naturally going to be different to those of people living in the UK, it makes sense to give them their own seats proportional to the number of people on the overseas voting register. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SpacedX said:

Currently 22% of this vote, but bar one other member I can think of that proudly wears his alt-right allegiance like a badge of honour, I suspect that these people are very coy about their voting preference and reluctant to post on this thread. It's a bit like the climate change poll. The usual suspects are vocal whilst the majority remain tacit. 

... tbh I'd love to have more cogent arguments in that thread about the matter.

Also as it happens, the polling in that thread actually is a decent reflection of the broader UK polling data on the matter, too.

3 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

... tbh I'd love to have more cogent arguments in that thread about the matter.

Also as it happens, the polling in that thread actually is a decent reflection of the broader UK polling data on the matter, too.

I got barred from the thread months ago because I locked horns with Blue Brett. 

I find it more astonishing that people can be that misinformed to the extent that they think that climate change is a natural as opposed to an anthropogenic phenomenon. 

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan

Debs let me ask you a question then.

Why the Lib Dems? 
What is about their manifesto etc that you’d vote for?

I’m still unsure so this is your chance to persuade me!

6 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I’m finding this election campaign fascinating.

Three observations from me:

1. After years of fookin so many things up, the Tories actually do seem to be doing ok at the moment. Eg the economy and hospital appts seem to be an improving picture.

2. I think a lot of people will vote REFORM for precisely the reason that they are being ‘told’ they can’t or shouldn’t. I see it on this thread. People are seemingly becoming sick of being told how to think and react. 
3. This feeling appears to be even stronger in France, where I see LePen’s popularity gaining considerable ground.

Personally, I’m still unsure which way to vote. It won’t be Tory, I know that much. However, with the ridiculous FPTP system, my vote wouldn’t count for much anyway in the constituency I’m in (Blaby).

There was a post further up saying that South Leicestershire was up for grabs for Labour. Don't know how accurate that is... 

Guest Col city fan
9 minutes ago, Górnik Leicester said:

There was a post further up saying that South Leicestershire was up for grabs for Labour. Don't know how accurate that is... 

don’t think South Leics same constituency as Blaby mate? 
Blaby traditionally a sea of blue. Farmers, toffs etc 

😂

53 minutes ago, Sampson said:

On that note. Noticed reading in the French election today that they have a set number of seats for Brits who live abroad. 

I know we have a 17th century voting system but it seems bizarre to me we don’t have that. Having to vote in a constituency you haven’t lived for years seems odd.

Not to mention the issues which are more important to Brits living abroad are naturally going to be different to those of people living in the UK, it makes sense to give them their own seats proportional to the number of people on the overseas voting register. 

Debs, Jon, Oz - all lovely people (except Jon) - but I don’t reckon you should have a vote in a country where you no longer reside. Just like I don’t believe anyone over 67 should’ve been allowed a vote in the referendum.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

don’t think South Leics same constituency as Blaby mate? 
Blaby traditionally a sea of blue. Farmers, toffs etc 

😂

Blaby hasn't been a constituency since 2010. Was replaced by South Leicestershire. 

Screenshot_20240701_180356.jpg

2 minutes ago, Angus Scott said:

Are you for real or just posting idiotic things on purpose 

No, I am a fictional character that leant on the keyboard and posted by mistake.

Bye.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Apart from them being neither Tory nor Labour :) 

Their desire to rejoin the EU,  their stance on Gaza and Israel, their LBGTQ support, their ideas to reform immigration and the asylum seeker programme which is clearly broken...

The UK needs a change, and for me they are the best on offer. I'll be very happy if they are able to form the opposition for the first time.

Also, whilst I'm happy to answer your question Col I absolutely refuse to get drawn in to any arguments about my choice with anyone, I'm happy with it and I'm not going to argue about it, the same as I won't argue with anyone else about their choices. Unless it's Reform. We've all been well behaved regarding the GE and I'd hate for the thread to be closed now.

Getting a tad more fraught over the weekend, I sense. It’s been all good sport till then but humours appear to be being lost now.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Debs, Jon, Oz - all lovely people (except Jon) - but I don’t reckon you should have a vote in a country where you no longer reside. Just like I don’t believe anyone over 67 should’ve been allowed a vote in the referendum.

If my husband wasn't still paying tax in the UK and my final salary pension wasn't there, and also our potential state pensions so I will also be paying my taxes there when the time comes, I would probably agree with you. I remember querying this ages ago, I think it was @Sampson who made some valid points.

We also pay income tax and property tax in Spain but aren't eligible for the GE's here so I suppose we have to be able to vote somewhere? Conversely we can vote in the local elections here, but not in the UK...

Regarding the over 67's, there ought to be some kind of Daily Mail test. Like, where did you read that? Oh in the Mail, vote revoked. Next!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Daggers said:

No, I am a fictional character that leant on the keyboard and posted by mistake.

Bye.

I know there are not many left now, but you would deny anyone who fought in WW2, to earn you your freedom to post such rubbish, a vote. You should be ashamed

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Angus Scott said:

I know there are not many left now, but you would deny anyone who fought in WW2, to earn you your freedom to post such rubbish, a vote. You should be ashamed

The freedom to choose the very policies we fought against. Oh the irony. 

12 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Getting a tad more fraught over the weekend, I sense. It’s been all good sport till then but humours appear to be being lost now.

A little bit, bit thankfully not so much as five years ago.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

If my husband wasn't still paying tax in the UK and my final salary pension wasn't there, and also our potential state pensions so I will also be paying my taxes there when the time comes, I would probably agree with you. I remember querying this ages ago, I think it was @Sampson who made some valid points.

We also pay income tax and property tax in Spain but aren't eligible for the GE's here so I suppose we have to be able to vote somewhere? Conversely we can vote in the local elections here, but not in the UK...

Regarding the over 67's, there ought to be some kind of Daily Mail test. Like, where did you read that? Oh in the Mail, vote revoked. Next!

Glad to confirm this over 67 is not a Daily Mail reader

5 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

MattP must be gutted that he can't post in these threads..:whistle:

I might be wrong but I think he can, he's just chosen not to. Someone should start a poll, my money would be on him voting Lib Dem depending on his constituency. I genuinely don't know any historical Tory voters who will be going the same way this time. Apart from my mother possibly, and maybe @Bellend Sebastian's inlaws. All DM readers, obvs.

14 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I might be wrong but I think he can, he's just chosen not to. Someone should start a poll, my money would be on him voting Lib Dem depending on his constituency. I genuinely don't know any historical Tory voters who will be going the same way this time. Apart from my mother possibly, and maybe @Bellend Sebastian's inlaws. All DM readers, obvs.

Moderates going to Lib Dem, and...not moderates (shall we say, there are other euphemisms could be used) pulling for Reform, I reckon.

• Sad 1